Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had this ?

Question Have you ever had this ?

Just took an enquiry for a gig and the customer has given me a list of about 80 tracks to play during the 4 hours! About 60 of them are floor killers. If you've ever experienced this, what did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Just took an enquiry for a gig and the customer has given me a list of about 80 tracks to play during the 4 hours! About 60 of them are floor killers. If you've ever experienced this, what did you do?
    Smile sweetly, while trousering the fee.

Others do not find it so simple, their artistic integrity gets in the way.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Seconded there Peter!
    Maybe i dont have Artistic Integrity?!?
    After all the customer is allways right!
    ( you might think its rubbish but its THEIR night!
    and their money!)

Care to share the list Chris????
    DAVESOUNDS DISCO PUBLIC ADDRESS & PAT TESTING SERVICES BASED IN WAKEFIELD

"It didnt do that the last time i plugged it in!"

http://www.davesounds.co.uk/

I explain to my clients that while every effort will be made to play their requests, I can't guarantee that every track will get played.

What tracks have you been given that are floor killers?

I just ask them if they are sure that's what they want to have played and also if / when nobody is dancing are we ok to play the songs that we think will get people dancing.
    http://www.premier-ltd.com DJ's, Dance floors, LED Furniture, Staging, Lighting, Draping, Audio & Visual Hire

He who pays the ferryman , etc , etc.

I have had them like that before , just because we think that the songs will clear the floor , does not mean they will.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Just do what they want and move on. The issues comes when you are dealing with complete idiots (particularly idiot family).
    Had the same situation once and stuck to the play list as instructed.
    Had father of bride and uncle giving me loads about how rubbish it is and why are you not playing any of the playlist. When I pointed out I had been on playlist all night it was my fault for not playing them in the correct order. It went downhill rapidly from there. The bride thought it was hillarious that we were getting grief, but then she was a drunken fool too.

Faced with the same situation again and with a rubbish playlist I think I might be inclined to pass over the job. Yes we do discuss music and what people want before confirming bookings these days.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Doing a gig for a couple of friends a few years back, the mother of the bride complained about the music I was playing. I took great delight in showing her the list & pointing out the name on the bottom (her daughter).
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Have they prioritised the songs in any way? because 80 songs will play a lot longer than 4 hours, and if you decide which to play and which not to play you may miss out some of their favorite tracks.

i would explain the timing issue and ask them to highlight their favorites.

also ask if you are allowed to take requests on the night? as, if the list is obscure, then you will most likely get people asking you for songs on the night and the party organisers may not want you to stray from their list.
    "Flexability - versatility and a sat-nav !!"

BeatRoute Mobile Disco & Karaoke covering Sunderland, Durham, & Tyne and wear areas.

Thanks all, haven't got the track names to hand, but I remember that a slow Nirvana track was really wanted!

Some good ideas there, thanks for those.