Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venue Slagging Me Off

Default Venue Slagging Me Off

I have just received a cancellation for a gig in March because she has heard from "a few people" who were at a particular party, that basically, I'm rubbish. Her comments included:

"they could hardly hear the music, poor music choice, lighting system was not fully operatinal they said hardly anyone danced all evening."

Now I know all of the above were not true, but immediately I called the client who's party I supposedly did badly and received nothing but praise and thanks. I also received many "well dones" on the night from both the client and guests. The client backed up my phone call with an email and the first line reads:

"We had a fab time with everyone on Friday evening. Thank you so much for giving us such a professional service on the special occasion of my 50th."

Both the party that has happened and the one that has been cancelled are at the same venue.

I managed to find out from the client who has cancelled that she had heard the comments from the venue staff and the party guests who went back the next day to collect the decorations. My happy client checked with the lady who went for the decorations, and no negative comments were made about the disco.

Based on all of this, I can only see that it is the venue who have taken an instant dislike to me and so are now slagging me off. This was the first time I had been to the venue.

Should I contact the venue to see what their problem is? Or just forget about it and blacklist the venue?

Difficult one....personally i would arrange a appointment with the management and point oit that they/thekr staff are damaging your reputation and causing you to loose work.

I had a similar issue where a venue mistook me dry hiring some kit one week as being the DJ and then proceeded to tell the client that i was djing for the following week that i was crap. A phone call and sharply worded letter to management done the trick.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

I would start suspecting that the venue person doing the slagging either -is- a DJ who plays that venue, or he/she knows the DJ who normally plays that venue and is lining their nest for future bookings.

There's nothing wrong with most resident or "favoured by venue" discos/DJs, by that I mean, there's the same percentage chance that a client will get one that truely matches their requirements, as from most other sources eg : web surfing individual pages , yellow page etc. However, when an over-zealost marketteer tries to get their product/service in by slagging off another - then that's poor in my opinion.

I wouldn't chase after this particular booking - even if you got the client back - their mind will have already marked you down for the night and even a 100% performance will be seen as a 49% one in the clients eyes. The minute late arrival will be " 'alf an 'our" in the clients mind.

However, I would write to the client confirming the canx but use that same letter to thank him/her for selecting you originally (there must have been something they saw that they liked), point out that in a competitive marketplace some less scrupulous DJs and their friends or £associates might try "anything" to shoehorn one service provider out, to get theirs in (maybe the clients also been told rubbish about their chosen caterers also, by the same venue - for example). In the letter, also re-iterate your good points, web-references, PAT , PLI, produb if applicable, AMPDJ/NADJ/SEDA (alphabetical order there).

Also, that the (former) client for providing you with the information about who was in the room when the negative comments were said, which has enabled you to narrow down that it wasnt the hirer of the last party themselves making any negative comments about you, and that they praised you. Depending how you word this, or what depth you go into revealing your detective work it shows this client that youre professional enough not to just shrug your shoulders about negative false comments.

Bear in mind also that nowadays, its so easy to get hold of stuff that can make the guy who wasnt a DJ at 2pm, a DJ by 3pm, that theres a lot of "my mate can DJ your gig - pay him in beer". There are still plenty of excellent DJs for hire also of course, and thats a topic we all know, all too well. There's a possibility that this client has been lured by "mate of a mate of a brother of a mates mates uncles mate" etc.

Above ALL, genuinely wish them a great/pleasant/successful evening. This letter could be the last bucket of water you can throw over this burning bridge, so wishing them what they'd wish themselves for the night probably won't win this battle but then neither will you be casting a last unprofessional shot at them.
    Last edited by funkymook; 17-02-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Tidy up
    ... Soon be Christmas

PM sent re this.

Well put Gary - keep it professional but get your side across.

Most important - as Gary has said - wish them a great night.

I would follow up on the venue in a meeting with your findings and a copy of the email from the previous clients.

Then push it all aside and move on to the next gig with a smile as you and your clients know you are great at this
    High quality bespoke wedding entertainment
    www.thepinkelephantcompany.co.uk
    part of 'The Pink Elephant Entertainment Company Ltd'

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I would start suspecting that the venue person doing the slagging either -is- a DJ who plays that venue, or he/she knows the DJ who normally plays that venue and is lining their nest for future bookings.

There's nothing wrong with most resident or "favoured by venue" discos/DJs, by that I mean, there's the same percentage chance that a client will get one that truely matches their requirements, as from most other sources eg : web surfing individual pages , yellow page etc. However, when an over-zealost marketteer tries to get their product/service in by slagging off another - then that's poor in my opinion.

I wouldn't chase after this particular booking - even if you got the client back - their mind will have already marked you down for the night and even a 100% performance will be seen as a 49% one in the clients eyes. The minute late arrival will be " 'alf an 'our" in the clients mind.

However, I would write to the client confirming the canx but use that same letter to thank him/her for selecting you originally (there must have been something they saw that they liked), point out that in a competitive marketplace some less scrupulous DJs and their friends or £associates might try "anything" to shoehorn one service provider out, to get theirs in (maybe the clients also been told rubbish about their chosen caterers also, by the same venue - for example). In the letter, also re-iterate your good points, web-references, PAT , PLI, produb if applicable, AMPDJ/NADJ/SEDA (alphabetical order there).

Also, that the (former) client for providing you with the information about who was in the room when the negative comments were said, which has enabled you to narrow down that it wasnt the hirer of the last party themselves making any negative comments about you, and that they praised you. Depending how you word this, or what depth you go into revealing your detective work it shows this client that youre professional enough not to just shrug your shoulders about negative false comments.

Bear in mind also that nowadays, its so easy to get hold of stuff that can make the guy who wasnt a DJ at 2pm, a DJ by 3pm, that theres a lot of "my mate can DJ your gig - pay him in beer". There are still plenty of excellent DJs for hire also of course, and thats a topic we all know, all too well. There's a possibility that this client has been lured by "mate of a mate of a brother of a mates mates uncles mate" etc.

Above ALL, genuinely wish them a great/pleasant/successful evening. This letter could be the last bucket of water you can throw over this burning bridge, so wishing them what they'd wish themselves for the night probably won't win this battle but then neither will you be casting a last unprofessional shot at them.
    Probably the most sensible, coherent post ever seen on this forum in my opinion, well done Gary, spot on.

I'd be spitting blood. If I lost a booking through someone bad mouthing me. Over a previous gig that I did that I know had gone well.

Especially if I had a testimony from the client who booked me from the previous gig. I hate having gigs cancelled on me. Regardless as to whether I might still fill the date or not

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

SUMO - Shut Up, Move On (not meant to be rude by the way)

No point pondering the situation. Let is pass. You won't be no. 1 everywhere. Concentrate on establishing other venues or where you are liked or favoured.

Don't make it personal. Its business and they may have heard from staff or other members at the party.

At least you are being recognized as a local supplier. Turn it around and make it positive.
    Depends on the venue. 90% of the venue if not more I would not bother with.

Unprofessional, unreliable and in a little world of thier own.

I only have two venue on my books that I would consider myself as a resident.
    The access is not great in both etc, but the staff are great and its run properly.

Dint worry about it just do the best job you can the next time you return there.
    Its very easy to get a bad reputation, but equally as easy to be forgotten about over time.

They wont remember you from adam especially with staff turnovers in crap hotels.

Its only when you consistently get bad press - then there is a reason so you need to revaluate what you are doing wrong?
    Last edited by yourdj; 17-02-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Thanks very much everyone for your comments - Gary, your post was really helpful!

I have already emailed the client confirming their cancellation and wishing them every success with their event. I also mentioned that there was something strange about where the complaints came from, and I said it was something I would pursue.

I was thinking a letter to the venue may be the most appropriate thing, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. I am still getting bits of information from various people involved so I will make my decision a little later on.

Thanks again for your help!