Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Games suitable for severely disabled children

Default Games suitable for severely disabled children

I've possibly got a gig coming up in a couple of weeks where the children present are going to have a range of disabilities from mild autism/ADHD to pathalogical attention seeking disorder (PASD or PAD as it's known) through conditions like Cerebal Palsy and other conditions which impair mobility to severe physical, genetic and/or learning disabilities. Then there's the kids with sight/hearing impairments as well...

There's a ton of special requirements around this event anyway, around sound levels and lighting due to autistic/deaf children and others who are on anti-convulsants for epilepsy and I've yet to work out how to deal with these, but I also have to provide a level of entertainment.

Just to point out that this gig is not going to be like others I've done (or discussed on here) in the past where the children are fully or partially functioning mentally and just have mobility issues where you can "treat them like normal". I'm going to have to tailor whatever I do specifically to their needs, and probably vary the show dramatically through the evening to make sure that I'm targeting different children throughout the night to make sure I do at least one thing that each child can get involved in.

my initial thoughts were that I'd go with extremely simple games which require very little co-ordination or understanding and hope that their parents/carers can support them well enough.

I'm interested to hear what other people have done in the past and what their experiences have been?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Blimey mate, that's a tall order! I've done ten or twelve gigs for folk with relatively minor learning problems. Every time I've been really nervous about it, really worried about how to cope, and every time by about half an hour in, it's become just another disco. Many of them are really into their music, and absolutely up for a good time.

Unfortunately, it sounds to me as if many of your punters will be less fortunate than mine, so I don't really think I can offer a lot of advice to you. Sorry.

I will however venture two predictions.
    1) Your punters will enjoy it immensely, and will let you know that.
    2) You will go home a very happy, tired and contented DJ.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    2) You will go home a very happy, tired and contented DJ.
    I think you've got this bit right

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath

Hi Julian
    I have posted re this before.
    I do 4-6 gigs a year for people of all ages (above 18 year olds) with special needs.
    I find the gigs very rewarding to do.

From the minute they come in, until the end of the night, the dancefloor is usually very busy.

I tend to do a mixture of new and old music, with a lot of interaction tracks thrown in. Macarena, DJ Casper etc. I also give a few prizes away.

I think that the majority of people who attend, get a lot out of it and I have become friends with a lot of them over the years.

My advice would be to try if possible not to treat them any different.

My stepdaughter who has special needs lives with us. I am not sure if that makes it easier for me or not.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice, but in the OP I specifically stated Children, and that these children are going to have to be treated differently because of their needs. A significant number of them are physically and mentally incapable of getting involved in "normal" party games so I am going to have to make exceptions.

Julian

Having 2 nieces with cerebral palsy - one of whom is quite severe, I would definitely suggest a good sing-a-long!

The first game which springs to my mind as fitting your needs is "Pass the parcel".
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice, but in the OP I specifically stated Children, and that these children are going to have to be treated differently because of their needs. A significant number of them are physically and mentally incapable of getting involved in "normal" party games so I am going to have to make exceptions.

Julian
    Hi Julian. Sorry, I overlooked the fact that it is children you will be dealing with. But the adults I do gigs for, a lot of them are child like due to their mental impairment.
    Although it is totally up to you how you treat them, don't discount the fact that they may be enjoying
    interactive songs, even although they can't physically or mentally
    take part.
    There may be some who are possibly not as comfortable with the situation as others, and I would have thought it would be up to their carers/support workers to assess and deal with their individual situation.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeW; 29-02-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Word mistake