Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generator Advice

Default Generator Advice

Morning all.

My friend is having a wedding in the middle of a field (on the cheap!!) and was asking me for advice on generators.

Basically his DJ (not me) sounds like he is going to be running the usual equipment setup (Laptop, Lights Speakers Etc), and apart from the lights in the toilet the DJ is the only thing that power is needed for.

My friend rang concerned with power surges and what I would recommend. Not being an expert in these thing (my only experience is with large marquee weddings with absolutely huge generators), I thought I would ask my MDD expert friends!!!

Over to you
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Hire of a proper fit-for-purpose genset is likely to cost more than the hire of a reasonable proper fit-for-purpose venue such as a village hall. Though much less than the cost of a proper fit-for-purpose marquee.

You also need to check that the organiser has verified whether or not an events licence is required (depends on numbers etc. and varies between local authorities) otherwise he/she may be liable to a rather large fine (£20k IIRC) and the PA gear confiscated.

Minefield. Literally.

Shaun,

Thanks for the link to the thread, but TBH couldn't see anything that answered my specifics!!!

Vectis,

Thanks for the heads up re the license - will certainly pass on your advice...

Unfortunatly the village hall is not an option - they are outdoor wedding and is has to be in the field so it has to be a generator. So what are the costs involved - what wattage or ampage or power would he need

Can you just get these from a company like HSS Hire??
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post
    Shaun,

Thanks for the link to the thread, but TBH couldn't see anything that answered my specifics!!!
    What specifics were you after? You mentioned power surges. My post (#54) mentioned using a generator with AVR. The thread also mentions using a suitable sized generator to avoid problems.

Perhaps you can elaborate more?

You say only the DJ is on the generator?? Whats everything else being powered by then? e.g., site lighting, emergency lighting, catering.....
    Do you have budget in mind? we can solve the problem and provide all the bits to go with it and based in surrey.

You basically need a generator capable of 'pure sinewave' output, also, just make sure it's earthed correctly with a decent earth spike.

Apparently some folks run their gear off UPS's (depending on power requirements) when running from a Genset. Thus the generator powers the UPS and your gear plugs into the UPS and receives nice smooth power.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    You say only the DJ is on the generator?? Whats everything else being powered by then? e.g., site lighting, emergency lighting, catering.....
    Do you have budget in mind? we can solve the problem and provide all the bits to go with it and based in surrey.
    Chris - The from what I can gather - there is a BBQ and Hogroast for food. Lighting - none because it is "proper" outside (ie. no marquee). Budget _ I am unsure - hence the reason I am asking. I have no idea as to whats involved !!!
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post
    Chris - The from what I can gather - there is a BBQ and Hogroast for food. Lighting - none because it is "proper" outside (ie. no marquee). Budget _ I am unsure - hence the reason I am asking. I have no idea as to whats involved !!!
    You have no idea, but you are expecting the good folks here to come up with an answer! In my experience if the person trying to ask the question doesn't know what he wants to ask, then the chances of him getting a reply are NIL! Go away, ask your friend to give you ALL of the information, and you may then get some help here, otherwise like your question, the answer will also be guesswork!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

whats the date and rough location?