Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Generator Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    lol - can you let me have the directions to planet sensible! Im off on tour in italy for 2months and get back 2 days before the wife is due to give birth!

Like the die of pony express but it would need to be serviced, prepped and check over after each use! I have access to many machines but only a hand full that small at present! am serious about maybe buying one - just wonder if ti will get the use!
    There have been some very useful posts on this including your own--perhaps the one point that is being missed here is the old chesnut== DA MONEY.

Inevitably doing the job properly and safely involves a cost and as you may recall the original post related to someone who was cheapskating by haviing their Wedding in the open ---as I read it without cover

Therefore this kind of person may well be tempted to cheapskate on the generator which I think you might find is behind many of the problems
    that DJs on here suffer from with Generators.

Our short experience in the Rodeo Bull market tells us that its the same---people want us to do the booking with a generator because they have chosen some stupid location to hold an event and expect it to cost another £50.

As we need at least 12.5 kva forget it.

You can carry your own jennie but by all accounts apart from it not being cost effective to buy one based on the number of hires needed ---it stinks out the van

So I agree with you that its possible to safely use a Jenny---whether you can get the skinflints out there to pay for having the job done properly--unless its Corporate or wealthy clients is the issue.

Incidentally regarding Artic Cable being supersceded by yet another Electrical upgrade really annoys me--especially after asking the DJ shop the correct cable to buy and find a year later its out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hmmm, workable idea, Callum, but perhaps slight overkill. The one Deltic posted in the Gallery looked just what the Doctor ordered.
    It was a less than serious answer. At least you would be guaranteed a decent power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    There have been some very useful posts on this including your own--perhaps the one point that is being missed here is the old chesnut== DA MONEY.

Inevitably doing the job properly and safely involves a cost and as you may recall the original post related to someone who was cheapskating by haviing their Wedding in the open ---as I read it without cover

Therefore this kind of person may well be tempted to cheapskate on the generator which I think you might find is behind many of the problems
    that DJs on here suffer from with Generators.

Our short experience in the Rodeo Bull market tells us that its the same---people want us to do the booking with a generator because they have chosen some stupid location to hold an event and expect it to cost another £50.

As we need at least 12.5 kva forget it.

You can carry your own jennie but by all accounts apart from it not being cost effective to buy one based on the number of hires needed ---it stinks out the van

So I agree with you that its possible to safely use a Jenny---whether you can get the skinflints out there to pay for having the job done properly--unless its Corporate or wealthy clients is the issue.

Incidentally regarding Artic Cable being supersceded by yet another Electrical upgrade really annoys me--especially after asking the DJ shop the correct cable to buy and find a year later its out of date.
    I understand cost is an issue and it's the age old gag of not what you know.... Hence my offer of help and the thought of buying a small road tow 30 to solve most members problems with a great cheap rate of hire.

Arctic has been superseded at 230v for outdoor use for a couple of years now mainly because it's not sutable for the job Ho7 is the way forward and what the event industry has been using for many. Many years.

At the end of the day if they don't want to pay they won't but then walk away I know it's hard but it's the right thing to do. I walked away from doing a 6500 person gig last year on the grounds the stage wasn't electricly safe and despite my offers of help and going to get the right bits for the job they wouldn't listen so I packed up and left. It's a case of when someone will be killed and not if.

I know we all grumble about risk assessments and health and safety but if i we use it to our advantage in some instances we could transform the way we work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    I understand cost is an issue and it's the age old gag of not what you know.... Hence my offer of help and the thought of buying a small road tow 30 to solve most members problems with a great cheap rate of hire.

Arctic has been superseded at 230v for outdoor use for a couple of years now mainly because it's not sutable for the job Ho7 is the way forward and what the event industry has been using for many. Many years.
    How can something which has been accepted by an Industry suddenly become unsafe or unsuitable--especially months after I bought my cable.

Were people dying using Arctic cable

Off thread here I get tired of the Electrical Industry constantly upgrading safety requirements.

I have my suspicions why this happens--however as Political views are not part of this forum I will

Mainly due to it not being as crush, heat, oil, cold resistant etc... There's many reasons why the professional event industry hasn't used it for years. Arctic cable is inherently not great but it does what it says on the tin just not in harsh environments of tempory events. The shop who sold it to you should have been aware of this.
    You can get round it with a dedicate disk assessment for each use of it if you really don't want to upgrade.
    Ho7 isn't to dear to buy and accepted as industry standard.