Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which type of leads ?

If you have active speakers then having the signal from another amp into the speakers input will fry the speaker! Actives you need XLR -XLR (Preferably!) and for passives a Speakon - Jack/ Speakon cable. For a XLR - XLR good cable and connectors (Neutrik) The cable doesn't need to be all singing and dancing just needs to hold up. As for speaker cables doesn't really matter at all! My best hard wearing cables are made from mains flex! I needed a extra set at last minute and thats all the cable I had and works better than the real stuff. Lasted longer too!

2.5mm 2 or 4 core from Amps to PASSIVE speakers.

For mixer to ACTIVE speakers you need two core screened cable for a balanced line signal

have been told these are supposed to be good should be for the price http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/produ...el_25ft_cable_

Thanks for the ideas peeps - it's appreciated. So, if you were going for the best quality sound, and with everything else being equal, from amp to ACTIVE speakers you need two core screened cable? Would that be about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Thanks for the ideas peeps - it's appreciated. So, if you were going for the best quality sound, and with everything else being equal, from amp to ACTIVE speakers you need two core screened cable? Would that be about right?
    ACTIVE speakers have the AMPS built in. You feed them with a line level signal from your MIXER using two core screened cable.

If you are using PASSIVE Speakers then you go from your mixer to amp with screened cable then from the AMP to SPEAKER with heavy gauge 2 or 4 core speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    ACTIVE speakers have the AMPS built in.
    No they don't.

Active speakers have an active crossover built in. Powered speakers have amps built in.

We went through all of this about a month ago

AND THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT!

Chris, what exactly are you running to & from?

I'm talking makes & models here. I'm asking as there is begining to be some confusion asto what you actually need.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Thumbs up

As usual, getting some good help - thanks. There's no mixer involved - the setup goes from laptop to external soundcard to amplifier to speakers, which will be the speakers just bought, rcf art 712 powered and active speakers. Have only just got the 712's and haven't had a chance to see them in action yet. The current amp only gives out 350 watts and need to replace with another amp that can give better sound in line with the 712's.

As usual, getting some good help - thanks. There's no mixer involved - the setup goes from laptop to external soundcard to amplifier to speakers, which will be the speakers just bought, rcf art 712 powered and active speakers. Have only just got the 712's and haven't had a chance to see them in action yet. The current amp only gives out 350 watts and need to replace with another amp that can give better sound in line with the 712's.
    Hold on there, I'm thinking we're short one mixer here, and dangerously ovr subscribed with amplifiers!!

Chris, please please don't connect the ( speaker ) output of an amp to the RCF's, there will be a very expensive bang.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Let him do it, it's been spelt out clearly enough in the other thread (although I've included quote below in case you missed it Chris)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Having looked at RCF's website I'm inclined to agree with chrisj.

There is no Art 712 without an "A" suffix The speakers you're referring to (Art 712-A, assuming they haven't discontinued a previously available unpowered version) already have a built in amp. You need to send a line level signal from your mixer to the speaker.

No additional amplification is needed.

Do you actually have these speakers in your possession? Surely it's evident whether or not they have a bult in amp or not. Can you post a link to the speakers you're talking about please?
    Could I especially draw your attention th the question in red, the request in blue & the point made in purple
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Let him do it, it's been spelt out clearly enough in the other thread (although I've included quote below in case you missed it Chris)
    As I said somewhere, I'm a little confused at the apparent lack of a mixer in this instance. I'm sort of hoping that the alleged "Amp" in this case is in fact a mixer.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk