Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you turn it down I am putting the baby to sleep???

Default Can you turn it down I am putting the baby to sleep???

This was a new one to me, I was playing background music, before the first dance, it was pretty low, a guest who was sitting at one of the tables asked if I could turn down the music because she is trying to put her baby to sleep!! we were in an hotel so she could have simply walked out the room to the lounge...... I was surprised but agreed, and turned it down a little further, I was unusually lost for words. Have you had any such requests, and how have you handled them?
    Http://www.heartandsouldisco.co.uk

Wedding DJ and Mobile Disco in Sussex and Surrey

Some new mothers are totally obsessive and they think there's is the only baby in the whole world. They don't think of anyone else just themselves and their newborn. Totally blinkered. I bet she was carrying half a ton of completely unnecessary baby equipment around with her too was she? I wonder if she would have asked the best man to keep his voice down during the speeches!
    Thankfully they usually get over it after a while and start to behave more rationally again!

Quote Originally Posted by musicologydisco View Post
    Thankfully they usually get over it after a while and start to behave more rationally again!
    It's usually about the time that they start getting more than 3hrs of sleep a night... and you wonder why they're obsessed with getting their babies to sleep well?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

That reminds me

I did a 30th Birthday party in a pub last November, i started about 8.00 ish and he came and asked about 10.00pm to turn it down a bit, as his kids wouldn't go to sleep up stairs, and to keep it down until they dropped off.

I did a 50th party a couple of years ago in a large venue just outside town. I was on a stage and well out of the way. The table nearest to the stage had a load of grannies on it and one of them came over and asked if I could turn it down a bit... Ha! Ha! I couldn't actually hear her at the time as the music was loud - How ironic. Loads of people dancing etc and it was a big place so I said I would but didn't actually do it and they never said anything again.

I had a dear old lady at a function I did two years ago for adults with learning difficulties.

She came over to me at about 10:00 (booked til 11:00) and told me I might as well stop now as most of them had to go home to bed and that "no-one should be playing music that loud anyway".

I'd had no other complaints (despite a number of technical difficulties during the evening which had me switching from Cortex to Laptop to CD's!), the volume wasn't particularly high and the organiser had told me at the start to run the evening like a kids party and play it "fast and loud" anyway.

The organiser also later apologised to me for her friends behaviour when I told her what had been said.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I had a great wedding on saturday and had my full rig out so definitely a good full sound and as I was after a band who played loud I continued in that vein. After about an hour a gent arrives up clearly quite drunk and wearing very casual clothes complaining about the loudness. I adjusted it a bit but was pretty sure he meant the bass which I also dropped and after another two trips to me with the same complaint he disappeared. I had to make sure the volume was sufficient for the guests who were dancing too. Anyway at the end of the night I'm chatting to the groom and the bride and she apologises for here Dad - says her cousing told her he was annoying me! Thank god I try and deal with all requests and complaints in a polite manner altho inside I was getting a bit tired of this guy!!

Yep, she had the latest fancy buggy, and possibly 5 or six tables back from the booth. I wanted to say duh, disco = loud music for dancing not sleeping, but really no point in getting into that. It's funny, I can't imagine any other kind of work that gets the kind of colourful characters us DJS do.
    Http://www.heartandsouldisco.co.uk

Wedding DJ and Mobile Disco in Sussex and Surrey

I was asked to turn down my background music a few months ago because a lady was worried i would wake up her newborn baby.........in a busy pub on New Years Eve!!!!!!
    Gobsmacked!

Quote Originally Posted by matt the cat View Post
    I was asked to turn down my background music a few months ago because a lady was worried i would wake up her newborn baby.........in a busy pub on New Years Eve!!!!!!
    Gobsmacked!
    I would just say they should be at home.

If you are prepared to have kids its the sacrifice you make. Ok, kids should be able to stay up later for special occasions. My 4 year old made it until 10pm for my wife's 40th, but then she was taken off to bed.