Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pursuing money owed from other suppliers not clients

Default Pursuing money owed from other suppliers not clients

Tackling clients that owe me fees I have no problem with. The usual procedure of registered letters, emails , phonecalls and ultimately debt recovery agents usually does the trick.

But if you'd sold a service or goods to another supplier be they a florist , caterer or any other part of the "Wedding Industry" how long would you class as a "fair period of time" for repayment?

Just intrigued as I have money owed by a supplier and thought I'd ask the general consensus before persuing it through debt recovery.

Would it influence your decision to pursue things if you knew that you weren't the only person owed money?
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Is this someone you know, Paul, or had other dealings with, or just a general 'contact'?

Have you received any communication from them as to why they haven't paid you?

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Is this someone you know, Paul, or had other dealings with, or just a general 'contact'?
    It's actually a local supplier to me that I sold some goods to

Have you received any communication from them as to why they haven't paid you?
    A part payment has been made but there is still monies outstanding.

I've spoken on the phone to them and such things as "I need to pay my rent" or "I'm just waiting for some cash" are the usual conversations.

It's not a massive amount of money but it's the principle of it. I wouldn't let a punter turn me over so why should a supplier be any different?

It'll cost me £25 to get the debt recovery agents to act so may well look at that. At least then if they don't pay up I can ultimately get a CCJ against them.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

It sounds like you've given them plenty of time and opportunity, Paul.

Personally, unless it was someone who was a close friend, I wouldn't have allowed them to take possession of the goods without full payment, but if you agreed instalments and they've reneged on that agreement, then it's tantamount to theft in my book and leopards don't change their spots.

I think you should take action if only for the principal of it.... it might make them think twice about doing it to others!

Could you re-take possession of the goods and re-sell to recoup your losses?

A "fair period" is exactly what you agreed on when you agreed the payment terms and signed on the dotted line. For me, fourteen days over would be "seriously overdue" and would be the trigger for further recovery action but that time is up to you. Some B2B agree on 30, 60 or even 90 days but, for a small operator like me, where cashflow is king, then it has to be 14 days.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

It sounds like you've given them plenty of time and opportunity, Paul.
    More than , this has been ongoing since last year.

Personally, unless it was someone who was a close friend, I wouldn't have allowed them to take possession of the goods without full payment, but if you agreed instalments and they've reneged on that agreement, then it's tantamount to theft in my book and leopards don't change their spots.

I think you should take action if only for the principal of it.... it might make them think twice about doing it to others!
    It's not a close friend just an acquaintance I know through the industry. For the principal of the matter and for the protection of others I'm going to instruct the debt recovery agents that I've used successfully before.

Could you re-take possession of the goods and re-sell to recoup your losses?
    Possibly but not as simple as it sounds as I have reason to believe the goods have since been re sold.

Sounds like he ripped you off right good and proper.

Completely agree with Angela. I'd take legal proceedings out of principle.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    A "fair period" is exactly what you agreed on when you agreed the payment terms and signed on the dotted line. For me, fourteen days over would be "seriously overdue" and would be the trigger for further recovery action but that time is up to you. Some B2B agree on 30, 60 or even 90 days but, for a small operator like me, where cashflow is king, then it has to be 14 days.
    Dazzy, this wasn't a B&G Wedding gig type thing but sale of some goods to someone within the industry so no contracts per se were signed.

In my past job in the Army people wouldn't have dared to try and turn me over as they would have incurred the wrath (I was the Sergeant Major ) but still 3 years on after leaving the Army although I have chilled alot from that way of life I still struggle with things not happening when & where & how they're supposed too!

I'm surprised that you haven't done this before mate, get on the case. I don't know who it is that has done it to you, would shaming them on here help? Would people on here be familiar with the supplier?

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted!
    http://www.premier-ltd.com DJ's, Dance floors, LED Furniture, Staging, Lighting, Draping, Audio & Visual Hire

I'd say 90 days is the absolute maximum I'd be willing to wait. After that, timue to pursue it as vigorously as you can. All the best.
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands