Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singing and Dj'ing

Fairplay Gary. I'd need alot of incentive to even consider it

Supplying Premier DJ's for Weddings,
    Birthdays & Social Events.

www.basingstokediscos.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jigg1990 View Post
    This may seem like a strange question but here goes.

If you do karaoke do you believe that the Dj should sing?

Now i provide karaoke and i have a regular spot and i dont sing, a few people have made comments that i dont sing and maybe i should. I personally dont see this as a problem, so i was wondering what everyone else thought on the matter.
    I dont get involved but I suppose it might help to break the ice if you need to.

But cant see why anyone expects you to-- THEY are supposed to sing.

My funniest Karaoke moment was last Xmas when I did a Wedding and whilst setting up the B and G who obviously were fans had their own sound system at the back of the room and started singing.

Truly AWFUL.

I like to think I brought some quality to the event when I started.

As an entertainer who can confidently mix DJing and KJing this is very much my territory!

Do I think a KJ has to sing? No, not at all. It is all down to personal preference. If you truly cannot sing a note (I'll get back to this in a moment!) but you have the personality to entertain and get others up then don't sing. It's not needed.

Do I sing as a karaoke presenter? Yes. Am I an amazing singer? Not when presenting karaoke!! I actually tell people "I'm going to sing this song and, quite deliberately, sing it badly. The idea is that you think 'Hey, I can sing better than that!' and get your requests in!". Then I'll sing the first song. From experience I strongly believe that if you, as the KJ, sing the first song and you sing it amazingly well then no-one will want to follow you. If you sing it badly (aka Les Dawson playing the piano!! ) then people will put the requests in. Maybe that's delving a bit in to psychology but it's always worked for me!!

Now, I mentioned before if you can't sing a note. I truly believe that everyone can do at least one song. There's a song out there for everyone. Think Fairytale of New York and Shane MacGowan. Here is a man who, quite possibly, has the worst singing voice ever but this song is played, and enjoyed every year. So it's all about picking the right song to suit your voice. Can't sing? Then rap. Can't sing or rap? Then choose a song that doesn't rely heavily on either of these talents. Or sing a cheesy party crowd pleaser then no-one will care if you're rubbish as they'll all be too busy singing along!

Just remember. Karaoke isn't a talent show. It's not the X Factor. It's about people getting together, having a few drinks and a sing-song and, generally, having a good time. Keep that ethos and, no matter whether you choose to sing or not, you'll have a good show.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by jigg1990 View Post
    im not very confident on talking on the mic.
    Firstly Jigg, you're doing amazingly well to have 4 KDJ residencies for a compere that doesn't sing and also isn't confident talking on the mic, so well done for that.

As has been said already it's not imperative you are an able singer to be a KDJ, in busy situations you wouldn't get the chance anyway as the punters will be all over you with requests anyway !

Your main job is to motivate people to get up, but personally I prefer to see a compere who can sing confidently,to a decent standard, makes it look easy AND enjoys it while they are.

If I was looking to employ a compere, I would be looking for one who could sing and without a doubt was 110% confident on the mic.

i dont enjoy singing (if you can call it that) but i will do a couple to get things going if needed at karaoke nights
    Dave
    DSF Mobile Discos
    www.dsfdiscos.co.uk