Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First gig

Has anyone ever had anything major fail on them I.e. speakers, amp, lighting?

Has anyone had equipment fail on them before? Wether it be speakers, amps, lights or a laptop? And how much backup equipment do you carry to gigs with you?

Lighting isn't essential backup equipment, sound is.

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum.

Angela has already mentioned the fact that you state you have backup on your site. If that's the case, then take it with you!

I wouldn't worry too much about backup lighting. You can carry on the gig if your lights fail, but backup for your sound play-out is essential. The iPad using djay will do as backup (I use the same as a backup source). A backup amplifier is essential though. Although you may think it's unlikely you'll need it, the unthinkable can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post
    Has anyone had equipment fail on them before? Wether it be speakers, amps, lights or a laptop? And how much backup equipment do you carry to gigs with you?
    It happened to me 22 years ago and I didn't have a backup - my amp blew! Luckily I was able to call on a friend who brought an amp along to me - but it still was one of the worst moments of my career standing there with 400 school kids annoyed that there was no sound! I've never been to a gig without backup since. Make sure you take your mates backup with you.

I'm very new to the forum and discos, I do have a gig coming up in may so please could people give me advice to make the disco a success?
    Music wise. Try get the 14 year old to provide a list of their favourite tracks in advance, so you have an idea of what they like. For the most part Current chart hits from now to the last few years will serve you well. Also ask the person who hired you if the event is just for teens, or if there will older adult relations there too. It'll give you an idea if you'll need just music for the teens or a selection for older guests too...

I've got a website
    www.slsdiscos.co.uk
    That's how I got the gig, I also got a 40th party but declined it and recommended another company becuase I think it was to early just going straight in to doing events like that!
    There's also no mention of you or your age on your website. I personally feel if you were more transparent about your age and experience it'll actually work better for you. You've already mentioned you've turned away a 40th birthday as you don't feel ready for it, and well done to you on that decision. As a 40 year old man I know I'd be a bit shocked if I hired a DJ from a website and a 15 year old kid turned up to do it, especially as there's nothing to indicate your age on your website. My advice is to mention your age, and that you are new to the business on your website. This might actually help you get more of the kind of gigs you would feel comfortable with at the moment (such as teen parties). One of the biggest mistakes we see on this forum is youngsters trying to promote themselves as something they're not, which doesn't do them or their customers any good as they are portraying a false representation of who they are and what level of experience they can offer. Like I mentioned earlier, well done to you for recognising your limitations and passing on the 40th gig to another company.

Best of luck. Enjoy your first gig. And welcome to the world of DJing.

p.s. As has already been mentioned, please use the forum search facility as nearly every discussion to do with DJ'ing has been discussed before, but if you can't find what you're looking for then don't be afraid to ask for advice. After all, that's the whole point of the forum.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Shaun; 05-04-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Default Backup equipment

What backup equipment do you carry?

Charlie,

I wrote this thread four years ago when I first started the forum.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ad.php?t=11397

It was probably my 5th gig and yup, everything blew!

You'll probably be fine and I don't want to scare you but it's better to plan for the worse case scenario should it ever arise.

Relax and enjoy it. Make sure you post a full report with pictures!

What backup equipment do you carry?
    As mentioned, use the search facility and you'll find lots of answers.

Here's just a few found using the search term 'backup'

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ghlight=backup

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...t=carry+backup

There's loads more if you look.
    Last edited by Shaun; 05-04-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum.

Angela has already mentioned the fact that you state you have backup on your site. If that's the case, then take it with you!

I wouldn't worry too much about backup lighting. You can carry on the gig if your lights fail, but backup for your sound play-out is essential. The iPad using djay will do as backup (I use the same as a backup source). A backup amplifier is essential though. Although you may think it's unlikely you'll need it, the unthinkable can happen.

It happened to me 22 years ago and I didn't have a backup - my amp blew! Luckily I was able to call on a friend who brought an amp along to me - but it still was one of the worst moments of my career standing there with 400 school kids annoyed that there was no sound! I've never been to a gig without backup since. Make sure you take your mates backup with you.

Music wise. Try get the 14 year old to provide a list of their favourite tracks in advance, so you have an idea of what they like. For the most part Current chart hits from now to the last few years will serve you well. Also ask the person who hired you if the event is just for teens, or if there will older adult relations there too. It'll give you an idea if you'll need just music for the teens or a selection for older guests too...

There's also no mention of you or your age on your website. I personally feel if you were more transparent about your age and experience it'll actually work better for you. You've already mentioned you've turned away a 40th birthday as you don't feel ready for it, and well done to you on that decision. As a 40 year old man I know I'd be a bit shocked if I hired a DJ from a website and a 15 year old kid turned up to do it, especially as there's nothing to indicate your age on your website. My advice is to mention your age, and that you are new to the business on your website. This might actually help you get more of the kind of gigs you would feel comfortable with at the moment (such as teen parties). One of the biggest mistakes we see on this forum is youngsters trying to promote themselves as something they're not, which doesn't do them or their customers any good as they are portraying a false representation of who they are and what level of experience they can offer. Like I mentioned earlier, well done to you for recognising your limitations and passing on the 40th gig to another company.

Best of luck. Enjoy your first gig. And welcome to the world of DJing.

p.s. As has already been mentioned, please use the forum search facility as nearly every discussion to do with DJ'ing has been discussed before, but if you can't find what you're looking for then don't be afraid to ask for advice. After all, that's the whole point of the forum.

Good luck!
    Hi Shaun,
    Do you think I should just look around eBay at amps and get a used one In good condition? Is the amp more lightly to blow than the speakers are?
    Theses are my songs I'm playing on the night

1) Party rock anthem
    2) Titanium
    3) Heart skipped a beat
    4) Give me everything
    5) Waka Waka
    6) We found love
    7) Eenie meenie
    8) Mama do the hump
    9) Dynamite
    10) Hangover
    11) Earthquake
    12) Forget you
    13) Don't stop the music
    14) Bass down low
    15) Starships
    16) Lick ya down
    17) Domino
    18) Who's that chick
    19) Dance wiv me
    20) Twilight
    21) levels
    22) It girl
    23) Commander
    24) Cant handle me
    25) Swagger jagger
    26) Changed the way you kissed me
    27) Wonderman
    28) Broken heels
    29) Break your heart
    30) Sex on fire
    31) Bounce
    32) Born this way
    33) Boom boom pow
    34) Bonkers
    35) S&M
    36) Black and yellow
    37) Where dem girls at
    38) Moves like jagger
    39) International love
    40) Blame it on the bloogie
    41) Beautiful people
    42) Miami 2 Ibiza
    43) bad boys
    44) baby
    45) what the hell
    46) all time low
    47) kiss me thru the phone
    48) good times
    49) party all night
    50) one (your name)
    51) only girl in the world
    52) on the floor
    53) alone again
    54) stronger
    55) paradise
    56) feel so close
    57) Lego house
    58) price tag
    59) E.t
    60) the lazy song
    61)do it like a dude
    62) poker face
    63) tik tok
    64) baby
    65) troublemaker
    66) the time
    67) like a g6
    68) what makes you beautiful
    69) rude boy
    70) when I was a youngster
    71) riverside let's go
    72) stereo hearts
    73) just a dream
    74) eyes wide shut
    75) I like it
    76) summer of 69
    77) fire burning
    78) one (your name)
    79) who dat girl
    80) mr. Brightside
    81) higher
    82) rhythm of the night
    83) replay
    84) everybody in love
    85) whip my hair
    86) written in the stars
    87) just the way you are
    88) Jar of hearts
    89) the fear
    90) fight for this love
    91) beautiful monster
    92) When love takes over
    93) pass out
    94) single ladies
    95) Shine a light
    96) 2012( it ain't the end)
    97) Barbra Streisand
    98) Nobody's perfect
    99) do it like a dude
    100) my first kiss
    101) holiday
    102) I need a dollar
    103) firework
    104) thriller
    105) Use somebody
    106) the one that got away
    107) Papi
    108) Lets go
    109) let me go
    110) Turn me on
    111) last time
    112) she doesn't mind
    113) superbass
    114) champagne showers

Do they look ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Lighting isn't essential backup equipment, sound is.
    What speakers do you use? What backup ones do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Charlie,

I wrote this thread four years ago when I first started the forum.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ad.php?t=11397

It was probably my 5th gig and yup, everything blew!

You'll probably be fine and I don't want to scare you but it's better to plan for the worse case scenario should it ever arise.

Relax and enjoy it. Make sure you post a full report with pictures!
    Urgh! Scary stuff! Do you use those plugs that cut off the power if anything goes wrong?
    Last edited by Shaun; 05-04-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Has anyone ever had anything major fail on them I.e. speakers, amp, lighting?
    Yes. I'm sure most people who have been doing this for any length of time will have had something go wrong at some point - which is why it's important to carry back up for the major bits (the bits that could stop the disco if they went wrong)

If one of your lights goes out half way through the evening, it's not going to end the night on the spot, but if the amp goes.............

Definitely start saving up to get yourself some back up kit. Forget the lights for now and concentrate on the sound..... not forgetting spare leads, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    As mentioned, use the search facility and you'll find lots of answers.

Here's just a few found using the search term 'backup'

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...t=carry+backup

There's loads more if you look.
    Thanks