Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this really a selling point?

Ok, without mentioning the word "miserable" - oh rats, I just said it.. There's the technical angle of the inaccuracy of the original statement.

Apple seem to be using firmware updates on iPods and iPhones to prevent media players from accessing the iPod via the apple dock connector - so the original advert saying that they can play from said devices is , well , optimistic at best.

Ok, there's always the headphone socket I guess, but it means that the cueing facilities and pitch control are lost...you're back to play/ cue effectively.
    ... Soon be Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post
    I'd never use a clients ipod/phone etc. Despite the availability of mobile internet, I still don't download at gigs....if I haven't got it, they don't get to hear it!

Oh, and I'll cover the midlands!
    I'm with you so the Midlands is well covered. Have been asked a few times if I can plug an iphone in and always decline and computer for dj'ing never goes online.
    As said "if I have not got it, they dont get to hear it"

www.bossmankaraokedisco.co.uk & www.coventry-weddingdj.co.uk
    BOSSMAN KARAOKE DISCO inc. COVENTRY WEDDING DJ

Covering Coventry, West Midlands & Warwickshire

Not something I would advertise as I would prefer to reserve the right to say that I don't have the facility to plug in an Iphone, Ipad or whatever if I didn't think it was suitable so it is not something I would advertise. I have played from a guests I-phone 3 time in the past year. Once was at a wedding where the stag party had a track they wanted to dance to and was asked to play it by the groom. At an 18th I was pre warned that there were members of a dance school that had some tracks they wanted to dance to that they would supply and they turned up with the tracks on an Iphone.

Last time was at a dinner dance and again was pre warned that there would be a singer who would sing a few tracks and she turned up with the backing tracks on her Iphone.

Quality was ok although the output level was a bit low but upping the input gain meant output volume was acceptable. Plugged into the headphone socket using 3.5mm stereo plug to phono lead.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Quality was ok although the output level was a bit low but upping the input gain meant output volume was acceptable. Plugged into the headphone socket using 3.5mm stereo plug to phono lead.
    Thats what I have done a few times and the quality has been reasonable enough for the people concerned.

Other than perhaps a special request or a backing track I find they soon get bored with it as generally the selection is all over the place and doesnt really generate any atmosphere.

After that they seem happy to let me carry on.

Certainly the 3.5mm stereo jack short circuits ( not literally) any problems with compatibility previously mentioned

Well guys & Girls, I guess I'ts me your're all talking about. So let me clear things up. First of all I use a Numark player with an I-pod docking station, the same sort that you find on most high end home entertainment systems & you must agree that sound quality is no problem on those. Next, I always tell my audience that I will only play music suitable to the occasion no matter what the sorce,and I always check it out first.also I find that when I tell my clients that they can bring their own tracks,they are more than happy to do so and are usually impressed by this facility. and finally all of you that disagree need to get off your high horse and move with the times. YOU WERE PROBABLY THE SAME SORT OF PEOPLE THAT SAID C,D's WOULD NEVER TAKE OVER FROM VINYL RECORDS
    Regards Sid

Firstly, THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT!

Secondly, there was no intention of any criticism, just subject for debate (which is what forums are all about)

Thirdly, I think it is actually you that needs to get off your high horse & leave out the patronising comments.

Fourthly, yeah, all well and good them being impressed with this, although most of us would look to advance requests for this rather than taking a chance that what they bring has been ripped or downloaded at a high enough bitrate so as to sound like it is being played through a professional sound system & not off of somebody's phone.

Lastly, vinyl is still popular with a lot of DJs & is actually having a resurgence & I use MP3s that I have either ripped or legally downloaded high bitrate copies of.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Ok, sorry for the outburst but I feel strongly about my profession. I'll try to explain calmly where I'm coming from. Let's look at the sound issue first. I have been a D.J for 40years, I started off with records, a valve amp and Carlsbro speakers. Looking back, they were awfull but Joe public had a good time, why? because you as a D.J entertained them. How many D.J's these days just sit behind their latest gear and expect the public to enjoy the night.Regardless of what is played.I have been to many Gigs where the D.J has just played what he wants regardless.Then he blames the public for being misrable! I have never had a poor quality I pod sound track given to me most of them are down loaded from I tunes. Next, as a full time D.J, I can't afford to be choosey about the gigs I take. This includes 18th & 21st These people love the fact that you can play their tunes.Let;s face it you have to be right up to date with these guys and that;s not always possible.When these lads and girls have had a skin full they don't care what the (sound quality is like) they just want to chant along to the equivalent of Chelsea Dagger.I too ask for advanced requests but on many occasions these are the bride and grooms requests and half an hour into the night you realise that no one else actually likes them. At this point I go the the Bride (or often she comes to me) and we start asking for requests to see what the guests actually want to hear. Finally,have you ever had the bride and groom give you a CD that they have down loaded with a compilation for their opening dance ? Do you turn it down because you think the quality is not good enough ? When I tell my Bride & groom that they can put it on their I pod or indeed a memory stick they are more than happy. Is advertising the fact that I am willing to play I pods a selling point ? I think so. With more and more gear having the facility for I pods . I also think that I pods are the future of mobile disco's. Once again sorry for the outburst yesterday. Regards Sid

Honestly, if a bride and groom approach me with a CD, iPod, memory stick, mini disc, 8-track tape...I won't be playing it. It's not necessarily about sound quality, though that would worry me. I would be concerned, however, about the iPod having a virus and finding a way of corrupting my gear. I'd also question your idea that the content of most iPod's is from iTunes...I would imagine that the exact opposite is true, particularly with younger clients.
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

On the Numark Decks there is no way that an I pod can corrupt your gear in the same way that a copy cd played on a cd player cannot corrupt your gear.
    I have had bride and grooms come to me with a whole dance routine worked out to their music for the opening dance so who am I to tell the people that employ me that I won't play their music and spoil their day. But then again that is why I get enough work to do this for a living by giving people what they want not what I want them to have.

Unless it was pre arranged or the client, I would not let any old punter plug there iPod in to my gear. To be honest, whilst a gig is happening I've hot better things to do than fumble about connecting iPods!
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!