Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac vs pc

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    So reading all the posts it seems as if there are just as many pc users as mac? Will it be hard using traktor using a mac on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    Good point well made, but I would say in the DJing world, particularly traktor there are lots more mac users.
    You would say, but that isn't facts and figures is it?

I just read the traktor forums and saw where people were having hassle. It was mostly pcs
    Based on the above assumption then, it could be that there are more problems because there are more PC users?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    You would say, but that isn't facts and figures is it?
    It's not facts and figures no. I dont suppose those figures exist given that I dont fill in a survey for every problem I get with my computer so I don't suppose anyone else does

Based on the above assumption then, it could be that there are more problems because there are more PC users?
    It could be, or it might not be. Again I don't have or doubt the stats exist publicly.
    As I said its about reduction of risk. If I see Pete Tong playing to thousands in Ibiza using the same setup as I have then that has to be some sort of endorsement and that's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post
    So reading all the posts it seems as if there are just as many pc users as mac? Will it be hard using traktor using a mac on its own?
    if you want to mix and have some sort of tactile control then you should get some sort of controller. What you choose depends upon your current setup, if you have soundcards, mixer etc and budget

If it's not facts and figures then you can't start making statements like you did as you aren't basing it on anything.

"More people use Macs with Traktor"
    "More PC users have problems with Traktor than Mac users"

These make no sense when not backed up with hard facts, so you can't use them!

You could be right, but you might not be, that's all I am saying.

If it's not facts and figures then you can't start making statements like you did as you aren't basing it on anything.

"More people use Macs with Traktor"
    "More PC users have problems with Traktor than Mac users"

These make no sense when not backed up with hard facts, so you can't use them!

You could be right, but you might not be, that's all I am saying.
    Regarding the first point, I did put "I would say" ... So its my opinion. I stand by it though and I would estimate that for Traktor which is a fairly niche product, the percentage of users on a mac would be higher than the general average of mac vs pc.

Regarding the second point I am going on what I read on the forums at the time I as looking.

I run Windows as a backup and this has been less reliable than the mac in terms of crashing, having crashed a few times at home. The mac has never crashed whilst using traktor.

I would estimate that for Traktor which is a fairly niche product, the percentage of users on a mac would be higher than the general average of mac vs pc.
    That's my point though. You are making a statement based on what? You are estimating based on what? I don't really understand how you are coming to your conclusions.

I'd just like to say I've been using Traktor Pro for many years on several laptop PC's and having spent time to configure them properly, I have never experienced any problems in that time. I also use Karaoke software that is Windows based only, so would not consider switching over to a Mac.

The latest version of Traktor Pro will run on a dual core pc with 2gb of ram, but to get the most out of it (pitch lock etc.) I would suggest a better spec. PC.

That's my point though. You are making a statement based on what? You are estimating based on what? I don't really understand how you are coming to your conclusions.
    Based on pretty much every 'big name' DJ who is using Traktor is using a Mac, plus they were everywhere at BPM, plus I know other DJ's with Traktor on Mac. I haven't really seen many cases of Traktor on a PC by comparison

Based on this I would estimate that the percentage of users using Traktor on a Mac is higher than 1 in 10 which is about the ratio of Mac to PC users generally.

I don't see what the problem is with expressing an opinion. I've already said I don't have facts and figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    <sarcastic mode on>

I've come to the conclusion that Macs are for people who are crap with computers, because all of them had so many problems with Windows-based laptops / PCs.

</sarcastic mode off>
    Maybe sarcastic but maybe you're right!! What I don't get, though, is that both PCs and MACs are based around the same x86 architecture anyway. It was really only marketing, and the fact the Apple Macintosh didn't want 3rd party devices and software running on their systems, that separate the two!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megamix View Post
    Mmmm.. wonder how many people on this forum have used Macs and are making a balanced judgement...most of the against crowd just sit on the sidelines and pour scorn - i probably did that myself - now i've seen the light
    Not only used both PCs and MACs, I used to code for Apple Mac working for the company so I've a better insight in to it than most! I will say that MACs are better used in the design industry, though. That was their original purpose and they wiped the floor clean with PCs. An Apple running Quark was, and probably still is, very hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamix View Post
    As Alan Coren once observed, "The only point of Sainsburys is to keep the riff-raff out of Waitrose" - maybe that's why Windows still exists

And it's that kind of comment that will get people's backs up. So, unless you use OSx, then you're riff raff? Typical Mac user comment, imo.

Maybe your sarcasm is tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't consider myself crap with computers I've worked with them for over 20 years both in IT depts and outside. I can build, install and (mostly) fix computers.

The thing with windows is it just ends up killing itself after about a year. My brand new i7 laptop from day job. Office 2010 hangs and crashes. Our media PC at home, built with quality parts randomly decides to kill itself and usually it is not a hardware problem. windows is just too much hassle. There is whole industry based on helping people with how flaky it is.

when it comes to djing in front of an audience I don't really want to trying to make windows work.

Don't get me wrong windows has some endearing features, but generally there is a 95% chance you will get through your day whereas with a mac it's probably 99%
    A lot of Windows users will disagree but I'm going to give you that one. Windows does seem to perform outstandinly well for the first year but, once you hit 12 months from activation, it does seem to get sluggish. I've always felt that this was a marketing ploy by MS - "Oh, the best way is to upgrade to the latest OS/SP, etc". However, and this goes back to Angela's post, if you know what you're doing with Windows there are ways and means to keep it running smoothly. Sadly, most people (imo) just can't be bothered!

Good point well made, but I would say in the DJing world, particularly traktor there are lots more mac users.

I just read the traktor forums and saw where people were having hassle. It was mostly pcs

I like to minimise risk so I use Traktor on a mac with Native Instruments sound cards and a Native instruments controller. essentially the platform it was built and tested on, so it 'should' work flawlessly.
    In my personal experience, I've never seen another mobile DJ using a MAC. Maybe I've lead a sheltered life!!

It's not facts and figures no. I dont suppose those figures exist given that I dont fill in a survey for every problem I get with my computer so I don't suppose anyone else does

It could be, or it might not be. Again I don't have or doubt the stats exist publicly.
    As I said its about reduction of risk. If I see Pete Tong playing to thousands in Ibiza using the same setup as I have then that has to be some sort of endorsement and that's good enough for me.

if you want to mix and have some sort of tactile control then you should get some sort of controller. What you choose depends upon your current setup, if you have soundcards, mixer etc and budget
    But this is the Mobile Disco Directory Forum and not the SuperClub DJ forum - the clue really is in the name!! When was the last time you saw Pete Tong spinning discs down your local WMC???
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Umm because they are HIS conclusions

Not every conclusion we make in life is based on cold hard facts.

I would say a certain brand of speaker sounds great, that's my conclusion. It may not necessarily be true, nor backed up with hard facts from the industry but it's my conclusion.

Walking around BPM there were probably 20-odd DJ's on stands, all with Mac's. Pretty much every big name DJ out there uses a Mac to DJ from. I bet if you pushed Native Instruments and Serato, the actual numbers would make interesting reading.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever