Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac vs pc

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    make sure that you get the full operating system CD's, and completely re-format the hard drive, so that all the rubbish is gone...all those 30 day trials of this security software, and the 28 day trail of that anti-virus software etc - the bloatware needs to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Even using windows on my mac (which I have to do for my lighting software) annoys the hell out of me. pop up this, pop up that - try and sort somehting out and you have to do this and then do that - virus alert!! .......... the list goes on.

If you insist on using Windoze then look for http://signature.microsoft.com/

(although by the time you've done that you could probably have afforded the mac, sans-bloat )

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Traktor 2 for example is dreadfully hungry in terms of processor hardware
    And what do you base that on exactly?

Let's look at its requirements...

Windows XP (latest Service Pack, 32 Bit), Windows Vista/Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 32/64 Bit),
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or Intel Core Duo or AMD Athlon 64, 2 GB RAM

Mac OS X 10.6 (latest update) or 10.7, Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM

500 MB free disk space required (minimum), DVD drive

You call THAT dreadfully hungry? A P4/C2D/AMD64 with 2GB of ram? Or an Intel Mac with minimum of 2GB ram?

Gary, sorry, that's the biggest crock of BS you've ever come out with!
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

Ian, you know that I speak with a lot of DJs. A lot of those being when they have issues and are looking for a way forward.

I've spoken to several DJs who have had Traktor 1 working quite happily for them on a laptop for a good few months/years but then tried upgrading to Traktor 2 and they had performance issues. In each case, the laptops had previously been as optimised as possible, latency tweaked but not insanely low, no other software or hardware changes implemented - the change from Traktor 1 to Traktor 2 was the only change. One recent laptop suffering with Traktor 2 was an optimised i5 which had been used for over 5 months on Traktor 1 but wasn't lasting a full 5 hour gig on Traktor 2.

Traktor 2 may not be the greediest program out there, but it's certainly in the running.
    ... Soon be Christmas

I still stand by what I said. TP2's list of hard wear requirements is pretty standard and is in no way hungrier or less hungry than the alternatives, Itch, Scratch, VDJ, Mixmeister, Ultramixer, DEX and so on.

ANY user of Traktor who doesn't expect a performance issue when upgrading from TP1 to TP2 has their head well and firmly wedged in the sandy stuff.

That's like saying, i've just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and my computer runs a lot slower than it did before. It won't be Windows, it's the same...Windows!

Also, ANY user of ANY software must be silly to upgrade a "gig" machine without thoroughly testing it first. I do it all the time, and i'm REALLY stupid! I like to live on the edge, life in the fast lane, I like the thrill wondering if it's going to crash or not. But then I have history with computers, I know what to do if it all goes wrong, and have a backup ready to squeeze in should the need arise. Not everyone out there carries two laptops though.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Why not do a gig on the computer, you cant beatmatch any way.
    I play most of my non Djing set during the day on Itunes when MCing. its great with the 8 second merge thing.

As long as you choose the right tracks you could do it itunes and they would not care.
    Play the wrong music then you have problems.

as per the mac and controller:
    Get both on Ebay second hand - sorted. You will probably have £2-300 spare for a mackie thump.
    Black macbooks (2/4 gig ram, 2.4 gig processor) are £400 and a Vestax VCI is £3-400.
    Not sure what to suggest for Traktor? you will do with a dated midi thats now going cheap, but is still excellent (like the VCI 300)
    Is buying a used MacBook a good idea? Couldn't they have had things spilt on them or something?

Mac vs PC is always an emotive issue as Mac users like to Windows-bash and PC (a misleading term as Macs are Personal Computers also but, by PC, we are referring to IBM-Compatible PC, an industry standard!) users like to Apple-bash.

My preference is a PC-based system as I find it easier to tweak system settings to get the results I'm looking for. I used to program for Apple Macintosh back in '93 / '94 but I still prefer PCs. Just personal choice, really. Not to mention the huge price difference!!

However, I've had two Acers, one being the Acer Travelmate and one being an Aspire but, after experiencing problems with both, I won't be buying another Acer again. A Toshiba (with onboard Harman Kardon sound technology) would be my personal preference nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by ianforest View Post
    ... Not everyone out there carries two laptops though.
    You're right. I carry three - just in case! Mind you, I've never had to use anything other my main laptop
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I've never used a Mac so can't comment. What does get up my nose is when Mac users constantly say how much better all Mac products are and use terms like 'Windoze' and 'Microshaft'. Highly unoriginal and childish IMO.

3 points I would say based on experience Charlie.

1. Acer are cheap and chearful machines. Very flimsey plastic. Although good value you do have to be careful with them.
    2. i3 machines (from my experience) just don't cut it for DJ'ing. I'd reccomend i5
    3. Don't buy anything from PC world.

Even if you ignore 1 and 2 trust me on no.3

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Mac vs PC is always an emotive issue as Mac users like to Windows-bash and PC (a misleading term as Macs are Personal Computers also but, by PC, we are referring to IBM-Compatible PC, an industry standard!) users like to Apple-bash.

My preference is a PC-based system as I find it easier to tweak system settings to get the results I'm looking for. I used to program for Apple Macintosh back in '93 / '94 but I still prefer PCs. Just personal choice, really. Not to mention the huge price difference!!

However, I've had two Acers, one being the Acer Travelmate and one being an Aspire but, after experiencing problems with both, I won't be buying another Acer again. A Toshiba (with onboard Harman Kardon sound technology) would be my personal preference nowadays.

You're right. I carry three - just in case! Mind you, I've never had to use anything other my main laptop
    I've always had pc but recently I've got an iMac, i like it but I love pc and find the pc easier to work with. The problem is I have found that they can not be very stable and crash/freeze quite a lot. What of would you reccomend me for about £400 - £500?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I've never used a Mac so can't comment. What does get up my nose is when Mac users constantly say how much better all Mac products are and use terms like 'Windoze' and 'Microshaft'. Highly unoriginal and childish IMO.
    That's because all Mac are products ARE better than Windoze and Microshaft. We don't just make this up! If you used a Mac you would see this too! If every Mac owner is telling you this there's some truth in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post
    I've always had pc but recently I've got an iMac, i like it but I love pc and find the pc easier to work with. The problem is I have found that they can not be very stable and crash/freeze quite a lot. What of would you reccomend me for about £400 - £500?
    A second hand Macbook Pro, you'll easily get one or a higher spec unibody standard Macbook.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever