Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contracts and postponements

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Collins View Post
    who cares, they booked and cancelled anyway?

The venues work the same way Darren, business or charity??
    It's never that straight forward Andy.

I know that Darren, easy to sit here and type when I don't know the situation, circumstances etc.

Simply looking at the facts, and this is what I would have done.

postpone (cancel) at a months notice, they have lost the deposit as I have little chance of getting another job

They rearrange the date - I will take another depost. But as a good will gesture - I will deduct the original deposit from the final bill.

That way, if it all goes to plan, they loose nothing and have paid the original amount. If they cancel then you have 2 deposits out of them.

In fairness, I think that is not only a good idea, but makes perfect business sense. Especially if you rely on the income.

I must admit. I'm with Andy on this one Daz.

I can see both sides of the coin, but you've effectively lost that date this year and picked up a date next year...which you would have probably filled anyway.

If you charge £400 per gig, then your effectively going to be £400 down.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Chaps... isn't the discussion of whether or not you would carry forward a deposit on a postponement a completely different discussion, and certainly not anything to do with what Darren is asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Chaps... isn't the discussion of whether or not you would carry forward a deposit on a postponement a completely different discussion, and certainly not anything to do with what Darren is asking?
    Correct. I am not asking for opinions on how I run my business, thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Correct. I am not asking for opinions on how I run my business, thanks anyway.
    ...and just in case you missed my earlier response with the tangent...

Are you getting them to sign a new contract, or are you amending the existing contract by correspondence?

Assuming the latter, you can easily cover it in the email you send to them when agreeing to the change of date / carry over of the deposit.

It's just not practical to cover EVERY situation within your T&Cs.

Getting technical, there is an argument that the T&Cs re cancellation apply to the original date, so any cancellation would be post the date written in to the contract, and therefore full-fee (or whatever your T&Cs state) would apply to any subsequent cancellation. However, I wouldn't like to reply on that argument when it can be so easily covered in the email, which, in effect, acts as a supplementary contract.

I amended the contract via email.

Ahh, so this is an 'after the event' question? - ie you've already communicated your agreement in writing?

Difficult to impose any additional / amend terms now then, but at least you'll know for future reference.

Ahh, so this is an 'after the event' question? - ie you've already communicated your agreement in writing?

Difficult to impose any additional / amend terms now then, but at least you'll know for future reference.
    I actually know the people, but it was something I started thinking about last night.