Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Disco?

Default What is a Disco?

Inspired by how the conversation went regarding LED curtains.

If a punter books your "Disco", what do they get for their money? And more importantly, what do you offer as a chargeable extra? And why? ( Yeah, I know we're running businesses, but I more meant why is it an add on,rather than included )

For me, a disco is music and lights appropriate to the venue/function. For really big ones there may be a charge, all depends.
    Early setup is extra, unless it's for my benefit. ( I once set a rig up three and a half days early for that reason!! )
    Karaoke is extra.
    Extra time ( at either end ) is extra.

For me, that's about it. Over to you. I look forward to the responses.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Interesting thread Peter. I am sure there will be a lot of response to it.

In my case, I think the client gets a very good deal. If possible I will do an early set up, (but that is to help me, rather than the client).

When I can, I do a bit of extra uplighting, but this has really been for testing the uplighters out, and gaining experience etc.

At the moment I am projecting client names on the dancefloor for weddings and birthdays. I have added a photo from Saturday night.

And I have also put in PA for wedding speeches/background music, but now charging.

All of the above are because I enjoy doing it, but also to gain experience/test products. I am now very close to starting to charge for uplighting and also projecting peoples names.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What is a Disco?

She is D delirious
    She is I incredible
    She is S superficial
    She is C complicated
    She is O oh, oh, oh

For us it's just a simple disco, 4ft deckstand, Mackie PA, playout and 2 Wizards for up to 6 hours playing time.

Anything extra is charged including:

Nightclub lighting
    Starcloths
    Uplighting
    Dance floors
    Early set up
    Later finishes
    Image projection
    Haze
    Mirror balls
    UV Cannons

All of these things cost us money to provide and so we pass this cost onto the client.
    http://www.premier-ltd.com DJ's, Dance floors, LED Furniture, Staging, Lighting, Draping, Audio & Visual Hire

I look at it differently to the above. Not saying the above is wrong as it's each to their own and all that.
    When someone books a Disco with me, they are booking ME predominantly. Yes, obviously I need equipment but they are firstly paying for me and my experience, skills etc.
    What comes with me is a Disco set up that will do the job. It can be adapted for different venues as I like to make the most and best of what I have.

If someone wants additional services such as Uplighting, Photo Projection, Dance Floors, Karaoke, Additional P.A. equipment etc or it's a large gig where additional sound and lighting is required, then there are extra charges for those.

An early set up which is local is included in the price but if it's out of my usual radius then the customer is advised that there may be an additional charge. I say that an early set up is included in the price IF the venue allows it and IF it is viable to do so.

Looking at Ben's list above, if someone requested UV Cannons or Mirror Balls from me then I would have to charge extra as I don't currently own those items. If I had them already, I'd probably add them to the set up anyway to make it as best I can as I have already said. I do this with Lasers and LED Panels sometimes as they only take 2 minutes to set up.
    I'm not having a dig at all. Maybe I am missing a trick?

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

I don't use the word "disco", I sell DJs as artistes and they come with equipment suitable to do the job of playing music and entertaining, so playout, PA system and some lights.

No-one would expect the DJ to bring some chair covers along, or a cake, so it's exactly the same for extras like mood lighting, starcloths etc.

I have no idea why people would want to do more work and invest in extra equipment and then give it away for free, that isn't a business.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    I don't use the word "disco", I sell DJs as artistes and they come with equipment suitable to do the job of playing music and entertaining, so playout, PA system and some lights.

No-one would expect the DJ to bring some chair covers along, or a cake, so it's exactly the same for extras like mood lighting, starcloths etc.

I have no idea why people would want to do more work and invest in extra equipment and then give it away for free, that isn't a business.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    What is a Disco?

She is D delirious
    She is I incredible
    She is S superficial
    She is C complicated
    She is O oh, oh, oh
    Hmmmmm. I think someone's due a (virtual. Can't advocate violence, can we. ) clip round the ear.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post

I agree