Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help and advice needed

Post help and advice needed

I'm currently a member of the local resident association, Recently due to funding cuts and also the requirement t put at least four fundraisng events on per year. I rather stupidly offered my services as someone could play music at events. Now been told they want me to play background music at a jubalee event in between the live artist sets. My question is have i bitten off more than i can chew saying yes to this as my kit isnt fantastic. I'm doing this for free to help out and now really starting to myself.

1: homemix twin cd Player
    2: Infamous Skytec 12" speakers
    3: soundlab amp
    4: 2xsoundlab vasto's
    5: t bar
    6: speaker stands
    7: smoke machine

Any advice?

ps Gig is in a social club and music required to fill small dancefloor not entire room

The only thing I would save up for/concentrate on, is the Homemix CD player and potentially the Skytec Speakers.

The CD player isn't designed for mobile use. Are you intending on taking the DJ'ing further/make money out of it?

I think you deserve praise for putting yourself forward to help a cause local to you. However, I also think that it would've been wiser to get a pro in. The reason we charge what we do is because we're not going to turn up with home-DJ kit, we have the experience and the tools to do the job properly. So, yes, I do think you have bitten off more than you can chew. I'm not putting you down - I just think maybe you are not ready yet.

As for the 4 live artists, I'm just wondering if those are providing their services for free as well?
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

thanks for the advice. i'm not plannining on turning this into a full time buisiness just helping out for free. i fear i may have jumped in feet first without. thinkinking it through properly. hopefully i can get by for one night as i said it's just background music in between the live act, bingo ect any more advice welcome thanks john

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I think you deserve praise for putting yourself forward to help a cause local to you. However, I also think that it would've been wiser to get a pro in. The reason we charge what we do is because we're not going to turn up with home-DJ kit, we have the experience and the tools to do the job properly. So, yes, I do think you have bitten off more than you can chew. I'm not putting you down - I just think maybe you are not ready yet.

As for the 4 live artists, I'm just wondering if those are providing their services for free as well?
    thanks for youre honesty. starting to think the same are well i'm commited to do it now heeelp
    Last edited by Excalibur; 29-04-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by djforyou View Post
    thanks for youre honesty. starting to think the same are well i'm commited to do it now heeelp
    What made me think you weren't quite ready is that, in my opinion, DJing is a state of mind. It's about confidence and personality as much as anything and you come over as being a nervous wreck. As a DJ, you need to think on your feet - if things aren't going to plan you need to be able to think clearly enough to be able to alter what you're doing and change the course of the night. I think, maybe your nerves might get the best of you.

You come across as sounding very negative about your equipment and that is making you worse. When I started, I had a SoundLab powered mixer (the G742 - I've had it modified and still use it today!), a pair of Kam 12" speakers, a 4-head Acme Smart Gobo light effect and two moonflowers I bought from Woolworths. I also bought a smoke machine there but, to be honest, it was fairly poor when compared to todays even budget machines. But the thing I wasn't short of was confidence. I was a really nervous and shy person in day-to-day life but, when I was DJing, I thrived on those nerves and I came out appearing really confident. And that's what got me to where I am now - knowing how to convert the nerves in to positive confidence. If you can learn that then you'll get throught your night and, maybe, want to take it further. Or it could put you off forever!!

As for the kit you mention, with the exception of the Homemix (terrible unit, in my opinion - Argos have a lot to answer for!!) you've got enough to get you through a small show. And you're only playing background to a dancefloor so you won't need to raise the roof. If you've got enough CDs to cater for any requests then maybe someone could loan you (or hire at a small fee) a pair of old-but-reliable CD decks and a small mixer. Don't over-push the Skytecs and then you'll get through it.

But remember this - kit doesn't make you a good DJ but experience and practise does. You'll not learn this art in 5 minutes!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    What made me think you weren't quite ready is that, in my opinion, DJing is a state of mind. It's about confidence and personality as much as anything and you come over as being a nervous wreck. As a DJ, you need to think on your feet - if things aren't going to plan you need to be able to think clearly enough to be able to alter what you're doing and change the course of the night. I think, maybe your nerves might get the best of you.

You come across as sounding very negative about your equipment and that is making you worse. When I started, I had a SoundLab powered mixer (the G742 - I've had it modified and still use it today!), a pair of Kam 12" speakers, a 4-head Acme Smart Gobo light effect and two moonflowers I bought from Woolworths. I also bought a smoke machine there but, to be honest, it was fairly poor when compared to todays even budget machines. But the thing I wasn't short of was confidence. I was a really nervous and shy person in day-to-day life but, when I was DJing, I thrived on those nerves and I came out appearing really confident. And that's what got me to where I am now - knowing how to convert the nerves in to positive confidence. If you can learn that then you'll get throught your night and, maybe, want to take it further. Or it could put you off forever!!

As for the kit you mention, with the exception of the Homemix (terrible unit, in my opinion - Argos have a lot to answer for!!) you've got enough to get you through a small show. And you're only playing background to a dancefloor so you won't need to raise the roof. If you've got enough CDs to cater for any requests then maybe someone could loan you (or hire at a small fee) a pair of old-but-reliable CD decks and a small mixer. Don't over-push the Skytecs and then you'll get through it.

But remember this - kit doesn't make you a good DJ but experience and practise does. You'll not learn this art in 5 minutes!
    cheers for the reply. i figured i was at a loss with the homemix, thought about using my laptop poss mediaplayer as its just for background and try and pick up a cheap mixer and deposit the homemix system in the preverbial waste bin. thenstarted reading about pro dub and the like and got very confused

When I started putting on gigs I came across an awful lot of far worse prepared and equipped, so called "professional" DJ's.
    There are many guys out there charging £60 and up for what many would class as a bodge job.
    I think, given the nature of the job, you should stroll in confident as you can and play the gig for free for the experience value if nothing else.
    Very few people will complain about something they are getting for free and if they do they, you have the comeback that if they wanted a "seasoned pro" they should have coughed up the hundreds of pounds it would have cost to hire one.
    They will more than likely be appreciative for your time and equipment.

What experience have you already got-gig wise?

I don;t see any issues "background music" no fee. They should be happy to have the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo.pete View Post
    When I started putting on gigs I came across an awful lot of far worse prepared and equipped, so called "professional" DJ's.
    There are many guys out there charging £60 and up for what many would class as a bodge job.
    I think, given the nature of the job, you should stroll in confident as you can and play the gig for free for the experience value if nothing else.
    Very few people will complain about something they are getting for free and if they do they, you have the comeback that if they wanted a "seasoned pro" they should have coughed up the hundreds of pounds it would have cost to hire one.
    They will more than likely be appreciative for your time and equipment.

What experience have you already got-gig wise?
    Thanks for the reply as to gig experience absalutley none, faith in my kit quite alot just ordered a two channel kam mixer and going to ditch the homemix system not the best mixer its got to be an improvement. and yes there getting the gig for free so there shouldn't be a problem. i'm starting to feel alot more confident thanks to everyone input should be a good night. I'm also dressing up as prince phillip and along with the queen handing out joke knighthoods should be a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Thames Valley Discos View Post
    I don;t see any issues "background music" no fee. They should be happy to have the offer.
    thanks for youre reply. all these positive comments are really helping to boost my confidence. no doubt i'll be back on here after the gig to let you all know how it went
    Last edited by Excalibur; 04-05-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by djforyou View Post
    thanks for your reply. all these positive comments are really helping to boost my confidence. no doubt i'll be back on here after the gig to let you all know how it went
    John, it's not a Society Wedding, or Live Aid, it's infill at a local fundraiser. You'll be fine, just don't panic, and relax and enjoy it. Your biggest problem might be that the band PA's will overshadow your gear, but resist the temptation to turn yours up past the safe maximum in order to compete. That way lies ruin.

If possible, get a techy to patch you in to the larger rig(s? ) in order to keep things more balanced

Keep us posted, and above all, Good Luck.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk