Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roadies, and what to do with them!

Default Roadies, and what to do with them!

For those of you who use roadies, what do they do with themselves the rest of the night?

Even if they're your loo-break assistant, unless you have some sort of bladder infection, they are going to be stood there like a spare part most of the night.

So, do they go away and come back at the end of the night? Go and sit outside in the car park? Stand beside you looking like the proverbial bouncer? Sit down behind the decks looking pretty, or bored, or both - ie pretty bored?

...or have you found plenty of jobs for them to do during the night so that they really do form an integral part of the service, and, if so, what?

My Roadie (girlfriend) comes with me most places..
    Most of the time she is behind my 3x2 metre curtain playing on her ipad, If i need a song downloading i pass her i piece of paper and downloads it for me..
    Most people does not even know she is there.. I have told her many time she does not need to come with me or hide behind the curtain but she enjoys it

It depends on the gig really. I do find that having someone to chat to makes the gig fly along and it's also good to have someone to look after the gear if you need the loo etc. I was working on my own tonight, but have an old school friend coming now to assist.

I think it only looks rubbish when someone sits there and has no interest in the gig at all.

I've never used a roadie but that's not to say I wouldn't.
    I do agree that having someone there does make the gig fly by.
    Last week at a wedding, the dance floor guy was on site and was chatting to me every now and then and it did seem to go quicker.

My roadie is my brother as he's the driver of our outfit. His help in setting up and breaking down is invaluable as it speeds things up greatly. If I'm doing a basic DJing job, and we're local, he may go home for a few hours before coming back near the end. However, if I'm doing a kid's party, then he does the music while I'm running around like a complete nutter!

The original plan was for me to train him up to be a DJ but I have a major problem with handing over control to anybody. We've built the business up on my skills, experience and reputation and, although I know it's very selfish of me, I just can't bring myself to let him (or anyone else for that matter) fully take over. Even thought I know one day I'm going to have to do just that. But he does fill the role of "roadie" very well indeed!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I have nothing against a roady, I think it looks really unprofessional though if they are stood / sat next to you all night.

If I had a 'proper' job I wouldn't take my friend / girlfriend with me for the same reason, even if they watched my desk for me while I went to the toilet or to make a cup of tea!!!!

If you are going to use a Roady then let them do the roady'ing and then they can sit elsewhere in the venue (main bar, carpark etc) or simply go home and come back.
    http://www.premier-ltd.com DJ's, Dance floors, LED Furniture, Staging, Lighting, Draping, Audio & Visual Hire

My roadie has been with me for about 5 years now! He is much more than just a box carrier; he is also a trained LJ and controls the lighting.

He also takes all requests and all that jazz.

And a brucey bonus, he is currently training to become an electrician!

Some of the venues i work (particularly the central london ones) would be impossible to work as a one man operation safely and securley.

Also, he is always dressed appropriatley for the gig. Usually smart trousers, white shirt, waistcoat and skinny tie for weddings.

I think the bad image some people have of roadies is down to the kind of guys that just sit there playing on their phone all night wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Not all roadies are like that.
    Last edited by Stu; 07-05-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added some more!
    www.djstubowman.co.uk
    [email protected]
    M: 07913 131542
    T: 01227 762374

Quote Originally Posted by Leicester Ben View Post
    If I had a 'proper' job I wouldn't take my friend / girlfriend with me for the same reason
    And if you employed someone to help do your job, which I believe you do?

Ben, so what you do then isn't a 'proper job'?
    Does that mean that the rest of us here don't have 'proper jobs' too?
    It does make me laugh when people say that. It's a full time job and therefore a 'proper job' in my opinion.

My Roadie, is an elecrician and DJ, so if I ever get stuck or lost for insperation he helps and takes over if required. Not to mention he does all my PAT testing and servicing