Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Advice Please

Default Laptop Advice Please

Hi all, I'm considering a Toshiba L750 it has a Core i5 processor, 4Gb memory and 500 Gb hard drive (although I will be running an Iomega external hard drive through it with 1Tb hard drive. I want to use it running Virtual D.J for both disco and karaoke. Is it sufficient for my needs, could I be looking at something better in your opinions? I have a desk top P.C that I will be using for downloads, printing etc and the new laptop will be used solely for gigs. I'm gonna have a bash at combining it with the DJ-2-Go. Mc6000 and Mac book pro's are merely a dream at the moment!
    Sarah x

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Hi all, I'm considering a Toshiba L750 it has a Core i5 processor, 4Gb memory and 500 Gb hard drive (although I will be running an Iomega external hard drive through it with 1Tb hard drive. I want to use it running Virtual D.J for both disco and karaoke. Is it sufficient for my needs, could I be looking at something better in your opinions? I have a desk top P.C that I will be using for downloads, printing etc and the new laptop will be used solely for gigs. I'm gonna have a bash at combining it with the DJ-2-Go. Mc6000 and Mac book pro's are merely a dream at the moment!
    Sarah x
    Hello

The specs you have posted will be fine [do you know if this version of the laptop has dedicated grapgics? ]

Maybe also go for some more RAM 6/8GB ?

Also the DJ2GO should work fine with this setup [I use a DJ2GO myself with an Intel Core i5 laptop]

Thank you

Glenn

p.s Is it this one >> Click Here
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.

Sarah, while a more powerful laptop with oodles of RAM would be very nice, I run VDJ with an old Acer dual core with 2Gb of RAM. The Toshiba you described should be more than capable.

I also love my DJ2GO, I can't praise it enough.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Don't forget your Produb!

Laptop wise you could get less spec than that and save yourself some money.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    D
    I splashed out last year on an i7 (£700) and it works like a dream, I am using traktor which does hog more resources... but my mates £100 off ebay laptop he bought a couple of years ago works with VDJ brilliantly ...

If I could turn back time to when I bought my laptop I would just have got a £400 one and tuned it properly!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

It's the 1750-16Z, I'll check out the graphics, I take it that's advisable for karaoke? The mixer I'm still using is the Kam 1500 pro, it takes some stick from most reviews but I've found it faultless. It gives me 3 mic channels with echo and e.q and 4 lines/4phono channel inputs. It's flight cased and racked with a double cdg player so this suits my needs for now and I will run the laptop and DJ-2-Go through this for now. I'll hopefully splash out on a much higher spec set up once I get more established again and then I haven't gone mad money wise for now, also these will do nicely for future backup. 'Baby steps!'. Thank you all x

Intel H.D graphics 3000? and dedicated graphics card.

Hi Sarah

The L750 will happily run VDJ and, if you're using VDJ7 with it's streamlined video engine then you should have no problems at all with the system. The Intel HD3000 graphics chip is not a separate graphics card but is integrated/onboard graphics. People have reported a problem (screen lag) with this graphics chip when running VDJ but there is a fix for the problem:

There is also loads of help and advice available on the VDJ forums so I'd recommend looking there if you encounter any problems at all.

The laptop will happily take the DJ2Go (as will any system) but I'd recommend budgeting for a powered USB hub.

As for the KAM KAP1500 mixer, despite the reviews you mention, this is a fairly decent mixer for running karaokes. However, if you decide to upgrade the mixer, take a look at the StudioMaster Fusion which is also purpose-built for karaoke:

http://www.karaoke-uk.co.uk/studioma...mixer-55-p.asp

Don't forget your Produb!
    And don't forget if you purchase legal media and save them direct to your playout hard drive then Produb is not needed!! If, however, you decide to go down the Produb-rip-your-own-tracks route, bear in mind that not all computer CD drives will read karaoke discs. In fact, very few actually do. You need to establish if your drive can read RAW Sub-channel data or is specifically CD+G compatible in order to be able to rip your own CD+Gs to MP3+G. If you need any further advice on this, for example choosing a compatible drive, give me a shout and I'll pass you some useful info. I've also got a little program that will test your drive and tell you if your drive is suitable for this purpose.

You certainly could. I run VDJ7 (DJing, KJing and VJing) on a Win7 Compaq Presario CQ56 with an AMD V140 mobile processor, 3Gb RAM, and onboard graphics (AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD4250). It has a Windows Experience Index rating of 4.1 (out of a maximum 7.9) with the weakest link being the graphics chip. Everything else scores 5+. Not the most powerful laptop, granted, but it cost me £299 and it does what I want it to do so, as far I'm concerned, it's a bargain! With the 1TB external drive and DJ2GO, external soundcard, laptop stand, back-up battery and power supply, and all connecting cables, the whole system still comes in at under £500. Not bad at all!
    Last edited by DazzyD; 09-05-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Hi, I bought an Asus rewriter drive that is CD+G compatible some time ago to back up my collection and had it built into my P.C tower. My nephew has ripped every original karaoke disc I own onto my Iomega 1TB hard drive. I've been playing karaoke via this method on my desk top through V.D.J free home edition. I'm all sorted there. I'm now ripping my audio C.D's to it myself. Is the problem you mention solely with HD 3000 on board graphic machines and is every machine with this gonna encounter it? I wonder if you might point me in the direction of a different lap top similar to your own that is currently available and might save me some pennies. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    My nephew has ripped every original karaoke disc I own onto my Iomega 1TB hard drive. ..... I'm now ripping my audio C.D's to it myself.
    Then you'll definitely need a ProDub Licence:-

http://www.prsformusic.com/users/rec...ubLicence.aspx