Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transportation Of Equipment

anyone use this 'entertainer' loophole? Blow up some balloons at the gig maybe?

You must have a clause in your insurance saying something like "business use in connection with the insured's business ".

There is no way on God's green earth that you will find a loophole in your favour, but you can bet your life that there are plenty facing the other way.

If you haven't declared it to your insurance company ( and probably paid extra for the privelege ) you can rest assured that your insurance will be void, and you'll be up the creek without a paddle, should anything happen.

Bear in mind also, that it doesn't have to be you at fault to fall foul of it. If some runs into you, and you're blameless, all your details will still be checked.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

also if you were to get stopped by the police while obviously carrying kit for work purposes they will put 2 and 2 tether when they check you details and insurance status and as you won't be insure they now have the power to seize the car and make you walk home and pay lots of money to get you car (and kit) back or maybe even just crush the lot.

Don't be tempted to take shortcuts on insurance declarations.

You are working as a DJ, will be leaving pubs/hotels etc late at night with a car full of gear.
    Tell the insurance company you are a DJ.

No-one in forum land will be paying your fine/points or helping you find insurance after being caught.
    Lots of DJ's are uninsured; ie are not declaring their occupation, so will be seen to be uninsured if they are involved in a claim or simply pulled over by the police.

If you think the extra £££ is a problem, wait until you try to get insurance after being found out for lying to insurance companies.

My own insurance is pretty high, they call it "dual occupancy" - ie a Day job, so commuting and business use & pleasure, and then the DJing.
    £1000/year, 40yr old, clean licence, close to London for a Vivaro Van, fully comp.
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

I got a very good deal this year with my girlfriend as named driver, bussiness policy and as a mobile DJ. Churchill on a well know brand of family car.
    I think it was about £3-400?

You need to declare everything as insurance people are not stupid. More importantly it can be used against you is you run someone over etc.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

We use the term 'lighting technician' on our van for insurance purposes, that's much cheaper than 'DJ' in our experience!
    http://www.premier-ltd.com DJ's, Dance floors, LED Furniture, Staging, Lighting, Draping, Audio & Visual Hire

Thanks for the insight guys, will be comparing the meerkat later on.

I use A Plan insurance broker for Business use as DJ for my Citroen Relay 1.9D X reg. Cost is £280 fully comp and I have full no claims bonus.
    Look up A Plan and they will find the cheapest they can which you may like, or may not and go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I got a very good deal this year with my girlfriend as named driver, bussiness policy and as a mobile DJ. Churchill on a well know brand of family car.
    I think it was about £3-400?

You need to declare everything as insurance people are not stupid. More importantly it can be used against you is you run someone over etc.
    A good point Toby. In fact, if it was found out that you had not declared relevant information, you would be uninsured. So even if you roll into a car and they claim whiplash... the DJ would be personally liable for settling the claim for damage, injury and any lost time from work of the 3rd party.

If you are not being 100% honest with your insurer, you may as well not bother with insurance...

I'm up for renewal in a few months, I'll try Churchill..
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

comparethemarket.com gave me a good quote with Admiral at £285.19 the AA who I am with now was £449.00 no courtesy van included with Admiral though, but I expect its only free with AA for a week or something anyway. So I'll be renewing with them in the next couple of days.

Oh thats fully comp, vw transporter 1.9 tdi 4 years no claims <(reason for edit)
    Last edited by SoundONE; 17-05-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: as above