Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly the end of an era.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I didn't put it offline. I wasn't aware of the spam issue - I do remember you emailed me about it but then found the "ban as spam" option which should have rectified it. I don't know who put that forum offline, though. Maybe Shaun? Do you want me to look into it? I don't really get involved in moderation, but will have a look if you want...

EDIT: I see it's not offline, but can't be posted to...not the best approach to stop spam!
    Marc, never forget that my IT knowledge consists of turning things off and on again. I'm a fully paid up Luddite. It was young Shaun who did whatever he did, but I would be delighted if you could throw a couple more chickens in the cauldron, and work whatever voodoo is necessary to make everything work again. Thank you.

Dazzy and I were almost full time deleting unseemly stuff from the site at one point!! ( Tempting fate mode enabled: Seems OK now )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Marc, never forget that my IT knowledge consists of turning things off and on again. I'm a fully paid up Luddite. It was young Shaun who did whatever he did, but I would be delighted if you could throw a couple more chickens in the cauldron, and work whatever voodoo is necessary to make everything work again. Thank you.

Dazzy and I were almost full time deleting unseemly stuff from the site at one point!! ( Tempting fate mode enabled: Seems OK now )
    It's OK now because posting new topics and replies by anyone not a moderator or admin is disallowed on that forum.

There's a ReCAPTCHA v2 plugin (checkbox style) that should work, when I get a minute I'll install that. Nothing is 100% effective, though. In the meantime, maybe re-enable posting and see how it goes (Shaun)?

I didn't put it offline. I wasn't aware of the spam issue - I do remember you emailed me about it but then found the "ban as spam" option which should have rectified it. I don't know who put that forum offline, though. Maybe Shaun? Do you want me to look into it? I don't really get involved in moderation, but will have a look if you want...

EDIT: I see it's not offline, but can't be posted to...not the best approach to stop spam!
    Hi Marc

Probably not best discussing the background workings of the forum on an open thread so I'll just add to my post in the mods section.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Hi Marc

Probably not best discussing the background workings of the forum on an open thread so I'll just add to my post in the mods section.
    OK, but just so you know, I'm not in there!

OK, but just so you know, I'm not in there!
    You have full access if and whenever you need it Marc

Re: the other stuff mentioned above that I implemented. It was a quick temporary fix when I had limited time, just to try halt the on onslaught of spam in the interim. I'll revert it all back when we get the other measures in place.

Very nice van Benny.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    I'm driving a 13 plate Transit Custom with 105k on the clock. Bought it in 2019 with it having journeyed just shy of 90k, and for the most part it has been fine. I have missed having a new van, but I can't justify another contract hire agreement. It feels like a van, whereas the Vivaro I had before it felt like a car.

It does the job perfectly fine. MOT and service time has been expensive, but still less than what I would have paid out across the year on CH. With my current trajectory, I've got at least another 5 years of motoring before I need to replace it - I dare say that I will break long before the van will.
    Hello, my name is Benny and I would like to nominate the above post for the 'Famous Last Words Of The Year' award, please.

Unfortunately, le Ford has gone to the big 'Backbone Of Britain' in the sky. That means most of my late December/early January internet browsing history became a lot more suitable for work, with it mostly consisting of van hiring and van searching. That search is now over, as I am now the proud owner of a Citroen Dispatch (FYI, the word 'proud' is doing a lot of heavy lifting here).

67 plate with less than 52k on the clock, cruise control, air conditioning, DAB, Android Auto/Apple Car Play, alarm, along with just enough cabin storage space to house a toothpick.

As you can tell, storage space is a bit of a gripe for me, as coming from a Transit Custom I was certainly spoiled. As for the Dispatch...I was holding a big bottle of water before I drove off and it became apparent very quickly that if I'd like for it to remain within arms reach, it would have to sit on the seat next to me. It has door bins, two cup holders and a glove box (plus a little bin on the dashboard that will maybe hold a tablet). Basically what you get in a car, and that's pretty bad for a van.

Oh...my other gripe is that of the power button on the stereo. It has the volume knob surrounding it (so far so normal), and when you turn the volume knob, the power button spins with it. It's not static - it turns, meaning that you could end up with the correct volume, but an upside down power button. Or some other random direction (I suspect that the engineer for that went on to Denon to design their Prime Go!)! This is not a unique example, by the way, as one of the hire vans I drove was the Vivaro equivalent, and it did the same in that one.

OCD gripes aside, it's a nice little van. Loading area is smaller than the FTC, but I can still get my kit in there with a bit of rejigging. It's comfortable, nice to drive, comes with the aforementioned bells and whistles and the van I bought is what da yoot dems would call 'bang tidy, innit?'. A Custom is a Custom, but for the equivalent price I paid, you wouldn't get most of the tech and I wanted a bit more luxury this time.

It's just kinda weird that I chose to get that luxury from a 5-speed Citroen van, churning out 95 horses from a 1.6 engine. Don't have to pay to drive into Birmingham City Centre anymore though, so...yay?

Name:  Screenshot_20230107_140659_Auto Trader.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  95.3 KB

Congratulations.

The bus going bang is my biggest fear....the prices in these parts are eye-watering.
    The Berlingo isn't too dissimilar to my little NV200 in body style by the way. I think you have the slight advantage of the doors being made of something a bit heavier than tin-foil as the NV200's are - you won't see many driving around with perfectly fitting side doors

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The bus going bang is my biggest fear....the prices in these parts are eye-watering.
    The Benny Bus didn't so much as bang as it did get written off. Turns out that resulted from components of the van that were formally seperate entiries becoming one in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    The Berlingo isn't too dissimilar to my little NV200 in body style by the way. I think you have the slight advantage of the doors being made of something a bit heavier than tin-foil as the NV200's are - you won't see many driving around with perfectly fitting side doors
    I also have the distinct advantage of not owning a Berlingo.

Is the NV200 not holding up? I had high hopes for that one!
    Last edited by Benny Smyth; 10-01-2023 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post

I also have the distinct advantage of not owning a Berlingo.

Is the NV200 not holding up? I had high hopes for that one!
    Sorry - engage brain and fingers at the same time I spelled Dispatch wrong (but you spelled Citroen wrong....in these here parts it's spelled Sh......)

The NV's doing just fine...it's an AWESOME little van and with diesel prices what they are, I'm glad it's only a little 1.4 that sips at the fuel. It's currently doing between 47-50mpg depending on load and how heavy my right foot is.

Apart from being just a little bit too small (Tetris skills come in handy when the LOVE letters are needed), the only fault I've got with her is that the side doors are a little bit too lean on metal. If you slam them too hard, they bend.

I looked at several when I got mine, and some of them you could physically get your hand between the door and the door post where the doors had been shut too hard. I think they've probably resolved that issue on the later ones as you don't see too many with the problem. So long as you're careful with it...it's fine.

Sadly, they've now discontinued it so the hopes of one day moving to a shiny brand new one are dashed (because I'm NOT going for the eNV200 with a pathetic 80 mile range in perfect conditions and no load)