Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Possibly the end of an era.

Just jumping on this instead of starting a new thread - but has anyone ever gone FROM a van back to using a car ?

It is something I am considering now I and working a lot less and not taking much equipment - plus we now have (rip off) emissions charge thing in place now where you get charged for a lot of vans BUT all cars are free still. Word is eventually ALL vans will be charged, while cars will remain free. Ludicrous though this sounds it is a massive plus for using a car instead of van - other thing is I much prefer driving a car, but a van is much much easier to load/unload.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Just jumping on this instead of starting a new thread - but has anyone ever gone FROM a van back to using a car ?

It is something I am considering now I and working a lot less and not taking much equipment - plus we now have (rip off) emissions charge thing in place now where you get charged for a lot of vans BUT all cars are free still. Word is eventually ALL vans will be charged, while cars will remain free. Ludicrous though this sounds it is a massive plus for using a car instead of van - other thing is I much prefer driving a car, but a van is much much easier to load/unload.
    The Legend that is Crazy K was a fan of having a foot in both camps. People Carriers. Toby was thinking along similar lines too, I believe, although I kept recommending a multi seat van for him, with a bulkhead.

I used to use the car for store launches ( oh how I miss them ) as I only had small speakers, playout, and a micron booth, and would often end up in a car park where Transits wouldn't fit. Otherwise, as vans get comfier and faster ( within road limits of course ), it's not the delineation it was, and I miss the riding position of the van when I'm in the car.

Worst of all, when I go to McDonalds drive thru in the car, I have to look up to the attendant.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The Legend that is Crazy K was a fan of having a foot in both camps. People Carriers. Toby was thinking along similar lines too, I believe, although I kept recommending a multi seat van for him, with a bulkhead.
    Another reason for considering a car is the comfort factor - which certainly rules out any People Carrier

We do have a Merc as the family car which would be ideal, however would only use one about 10 year older lol
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Is hiring a Berlingo (or something of it's ilk) on a per gig basis a plausible option?

I know there's the whole safety aspect and what not but, to be honest, the only reason I suggest it is because even the PITA thought of loading kit in and out of a car just made me go "ugh!".

Yes, I sold my van in Feb 2020 - it was feeling like it was getting to end of life, so seemed a good time to offload it. Ended up being good timing considering what happened a month later...

I then started hiring vans per gig as we came back, and ultimately now use a Jeep Renegade.

It's not quite as flexible as a van. But everything fits just fine. The biggest benefit of the van was how secure everything was in the back, for example I don't feel comfortable stopping off at a service station for example with stuff loaded in the back and on the back seats in the Jeep. The van came in handy on the rare occasion I needed to leave kit in the rear (I had good deadlocks on it). It struggles to hold an all day set of kit, but easy to hire a van when needed for larger events. The biggest hassle with hiring a van is the time for collecting/returning it, especially as few are open on a Sunday, and have limited hours on a Saturday.

But I'm doing less gigs at the moment. I wouldn't want to do it in the Jeep for doing 4+ events a month.

I use a Seat Terracco 7 seater auto.

Lovely to drive fits all the gear in with privacy glass to match. The only time I hire a van is for all day weddings and then I factor the cost into the quote. As I only do 2 or 3 a year that is fine however the drop off / pick up can be a pain due to opening hours, as said previously.

A local colleague of mine just bought a crew cab van (VW Transporter Combi). Fits the family and a complete rig without breaking a sweat. I think he said he spent about £30k+vat though...

Prior to going the van route I had a Chrysler Voyager, a Renault Scenic and a Ford Galaxy. The Voyager was a bus and the rear bench seat could be removed completely, but it weighed 2.5t unladen and it drank fuel. The Galaxy had fold flat seats in the middle and rear rows and could fit 2.1m length loads plus driver and passenger without having to remove or store anything and it was comfy drive to boot.

I definitely wouldn't go back to a car now though.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Another reason for considering a car is the comfort factor - which certainly rules out any People Carrier

We do have a Merc as the family car which would be ideal, however would only use one about 10 year older lol
    Thought of using a trailer?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Default This is gonna hurt.....a LOT

My poor little NV200 isn't very well. She's had an engine warning light up for several weeks (my OBD tool says glow plug module and something to do with turbo pressure). So....took a deep breath, booked her in with my man with the spanners (a two week wait I might add!), and waited for the inevitable phone call.

"Wayne....it's not good news" said Frank the man with the very expensive diagnostic machine and spanners who I'd actually trust with my life (he's bloody good and unlike a lot of garages will actually tell you if it's more worthwhile doing it yourself)
    "It's OK", says I, "I'm sitting down"
    "You might want to lay down for this one" says Frank.

Long story short, we don't actually know what's causing so many diagnostic codes at the moment (there are 3-4 showing on the OBD), but they started taking things to bits on Friday and found the turbo is seized....absolutely solid

End of the road for Molly the disco bus? Like hell it is!
    The turbo's booked for the start of May (thankfully I have a quiet period), and I'm having the cam-belt done at the same time because knowing my luck, that'll be the next thing to go....all for the princely sum of around £1,500

Is it worth it? I did a quick search for a replacement....Autotrader had only 8 listed Nationally when I looked, the cheapest being £8k and in worse condition than mine! Why are vans still so expensive?

The best bit? I asked if she was still OK to drive (because a dead turbo isn't the be-all and end-all of things). Yes came the response, but it'll feel unresponsive and flat.
    Know what? She feels exactly as she's always felt. I fear the turbo's been seized since day one of my owning her and there's more to come

Even better, the annoying little EML goes out and stays out after about 5 minutes of driving since the seized turbo was diagnosed....go figure!

Wayne, I feel your pain. Both our vehicles are too expensive to replace, and we were hoping they'd be the last we bought. My van seemed about to derail those plans, with electrical faults, an impending transmission explosion, and a display of warning lights any disco would be proud of. I feel your pain Son, I feel your pain.

My good news was that once I'd unplugged an aftermarket AA add on, the garage had tightened a loose bearing housing, and replaced an ABS sensor, she's good to go again, and a pleasure to drive.

Sad to say, the car's in the garage for rear brakes, and I fear a large bill. The Lord giveth............................................ .....
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk