Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly the end of an era.

Looks good Peter. My, it's a big beast eh!!

Grandad last seen on pimp my ride!.....lol

Looks good mate.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    And you actually think that van with sand,cement,plaster and assorted building equipment is fit for the purpose of transporting DJ equipment never mind my opinion that it is a bit tatty and doesnt do his image any favours.
    Why wouldn't it? Everything Peter uses is flightcased & I notice you conveniently ignored my comment on how often a client or venue staff other than minions will actually see it.

Do you actually think Peter leaves the building bits & bobs in there when it's in disco mode?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

My comments are regarding the vehicle and the contents and not directed at Peter personally but I am sure he knows that.
    I would hope that the contents are removed and the interior vacuumed

In a way, I agree with Trev but understand why Peter uses & bought it.

A nice looking van, similar to Paul's or Darren's creates a better impression, especially when it's parked outside a nice country hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Do you actually think Peter leaves the building bits & bobs in there when it's in disco mode?
    Not unless the venue wants a quick extension putting up in between dj sets
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

I never park my van anywhere near the entrance to the venue. If it's tucked away in the car park how would anyone know who it belonged to unless it's sign-written.

I'll concede that if a sign-written van is sitting there with rust holes & bits falling off, then it doesn't paint a very good picture of the company it belongs to. BUT, seeing a large blue/green van of that size sat in a car park wouldn't immediately say DJ or disco to me (or I would expect, most people).

Let's face it also, signage isn't there to impress or create a good impression. It's there for advertising, pure & simple.

Just what's so bad about Peter's new van? Remembering that even if the client sees it, (I see we're still ignoring this bit)
    How often does the client (or anyone that actually matters at the venue for that matter) see your vehicle.
    it's not very likely that they'd inspect the inside.

There aren't any dents to speak of & the paintwork is mainly intact. Sure it could probably do with a wash every now & then (couldn't we all).

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    A nice looking van, similar to Paul's or Darren's creates a better impression, especially when it's parked outside a nice country hotel.
    Says the man with no vehicles at all!
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    A van with a bulkhead vs a people carrier?

The van will win for me every time regardless of it's condition (as long as it's roadworthy). Doesn't matter if you're full time, part time, or one gig a year. The vehicle should be fit for the purpose you are using it for. I know of one DJ at least who can't justify owning a van, so he hires one when needed for gigs.
    That's the crux of the matter. Vans are designed for carrying things, people carriers are designed for carrying people. As we all know, many of us use things which are not purpose built. When I was doing the store launches, since I was using minimal kit, and travelling long distances, I sometimes used the car. Guilty as charged.

And you actually think that van with sand,cement,plaster and assorted building equipment is fit for the purpose of transporting DJ equipment never mind my opinion that it is a bit tatty and doesnt do his image any favours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry B Entertainment View Post
    Not unless the venue wants a quick extension putting up in between dj sets
    Well I've lost count of the times I've repointed the gable end of a village hall while the punters were having their meal. ( Joke, for those who weren't sure. Though I have in fact done quite a few repairs to venues so that the gig could take place in my time. )

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Looks good Peter. My, it's a big beast eh!!
    It is large. And after a few days with it, although I hadn't intended to get one this size I love it. My views may change when I try to park it in Tesco, or reverse a trailer into a tight driveway though.

My comments are regarding the vehicle and the contents and not directed at Peter personally but I am sure he knows that.
    I would hope that the contents are removed and the interior vacuumed
    Rest easy there Trev, before any disco gear is ever loaded, the van is reversed to the day job side of the yard where day job gear is removed into its storage area.

It then moves to the middle of the yard where the cleansing process takes place. Once it has been deemed sufficiently clean, it moves across to the Disco side of the yard, where it is loaded with the necessary kit for the gig (or gigs. Having space to spare means it's possible to pick'n'mix. I took two different sets of PA with me this weekend, since each was tailored to the different venues. )

And if anyone thinks I'm taking the mickey, the process I have described is exactly what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Aha, and eventually we get to the other important point. Everything matters. Except there are still no absolutes. Is a customer reassured by seeing his or her DJ turn up in a possibly overloaded family hatchback or estate, which is nearly new, and gleaming in the sun, or do they feel happier to see a less than pristine large van turn up, safe in the knowledge that it contains everything needed for the gig, and probably a little bit more for good luck? Or is the only satisfactory option the fully liveried, single purpose nearly new Vivaro sized van such as is used by folk such as Paul, Darren and Shaun? If I can word it correctly, I think I can feel a new thread coming on.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Rest easy there Trev, before any disco gear is ever loaded, the van is reversed to the day job side of the yard where day job gear is removed into its storage area.

It then moves to the middle of the yard where the cleansing process takes place. Once it has been deemed sufficiently clean, it moves across to the Disco side of the yard, where it is loaded with the necessary kit for the gig (or gigs. Having space to spare means it's possible to pick'n'mix. I took two different sets of PA with me this weekend, since each was tailored to the different venues. )

And if anyone thinks I'm taking the mickey, the process I have described is exactly what happens.

Aha, and eventually we get to the other important point. Everything matters. Except there are still no absolutes. Is a customer reassured by seeing his or her DJ turn up in a possibly overloaded family hatchback or estate, which is nearly new, and gleaming in the sun, or do they feel happier to see a less than pristine large van turn up, safe in the knowledge that it contains everything needed for the gig, and probably a little bit more for good luck? Or is the only satisfactory option the fully liveried, single purpose nearly new Vivaro sized van such as is used by folk such as Paul, Darren and Shaun? If I can word it correctly, I think I can feel a new thread coming on.
    Somehow I think I would have been surprised if you hadn't cleaned it out before loadin your DJ gear.

I have no problem with using a van as your DJ transport,in fact in an ideal world that would be my choice of vehicle,my initial comments were made because the photograph appears to show patches of rust along the lower edge of the van and the racking appears to be rusty too.As for fit for purpose,I could hardly disagree with that.

So we are going to ignore tha fact that the client would rarely see it anyway are we?

Fine.