Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Possibly the end of an era.

New engine on my boxer with 3 months left of the lease. 18 plate with 80k £5k+ (I'm buying the bloody thing because no way I'm spending that and giving it back).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    New engine on my boxer with 3 months left of the lease. 18 plate with 80k £5k+ (I'm buying the bloody thing because no way I'm spending that and giving it back).
    Now Neil, this has been bothering me since you posted it. Do I understand that the £5k hit you in the wallet? I thought that the idea of the lease was to avoid such mishaps? So you still have to deal with servicing and maintenance? Hmmm, time for Deep Thought and a calculator, I feel.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Now Neil, this has been bothering me since you posted it. Do I understand that the £5k hit you in the wallet? I thought that the idea of the lease was to avoid such mishaps? So you still have to deal with servicing and maintenance? Hmmm, time for Deep Thought and a calculator, I feel.
    It's the subtle difference between leasing and contract hire. It's also the main thing that put me off leasing.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

If you lease for 3 years then its covered by the manufacturers warranty.

Ouch - that hurt!

What was supposed to be a simple one day job on Tuesday to fit a new turbo turned into squeaky bum time as to whether I'd have the van back in time for the weekend.

She's FINALLY back from intensive care with a new turbo, water pump, cambelt and various sensors (one of which didn't actually turn up until midday today ).
    Literally back on the road and feeling like a new van just in time for a duo of gigs this weekend. Talk about cutting it fine

At least she's good mechanically for another couple of years and it was cheaper than a replacement bus

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

At least she's good mechanically for another couple of years and it was cheaper than a replacement bus
    Marginally.
    Happy motoring.

Well, I had a day off on Friday and spent a little time on Autotrader and a nice gleaming Mercedes van popped up, just 3 miles from home, 9 months old and a very attractive price especially as the VAT had been paid.

Off I went armed with a bank card, got to the roundabout before the garage selling it, went all the way round the roundabout and came home.

I just can't persuade myself to part with a silly amount of money for something my current 12 year old vehicle does for me - even if it rules out working in Newcastle. Dunno what it is but buying a new van is something I don't think will ever happen at this rate, or maybe I can just think of better things to spend almost £30k on ???
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Update..

It was 8k. There's not a word nor emoji I can use on here to express my thoughts about the whole thing but if she lives without major drama for the next eight years then I'll be ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Well, I had a day off on Friday and spent a little time on Autotrader and a nice gleaming Mercedes van popped up, just 3 miles from home, 9 months old and a very attractive price especially as the VAT had been paid.

Off I went armed with a bank card, got to the roundabout before the garage selling it, went all the way round the roundabout and came home.

I just can't persuade myself to part with a silly amount of money for something my current 12 year old vehicle does for me - even if it rules out working in Newcastle. Dunno what it is but buying a new van is something I don't think will ever happen at this rate, or maybe I can just think of better things to spend almost £30k on ???
    I mean that Mercedes will last until we're all driving electric vans I'd imagine. Won't get a better chance by the sounds of it owning a pretty much new van without the new van price.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Update..

It was 8k. There's not a word nor emoji I can use on here to express my thoughts about the whole thing but if she lives without major drama for the next eight years then I'll be ok with it.
    Repair costs like that Neil, I'd want it to last eighty, not eight!

I mean that Mercedes will last until we're all driving electric vans I'd imagine. Won't get a better chance by the sounds of it owning a pretty much new van without the new van price.
    Those of us who went to Plasa, Leeds on Wednesday are quietly smirking about the battery powered amps we saw. The suggestion was to trickle charge them from solar panels, or wind turbines. No it wasn't April 1st, and no, I haven't ordered one.

Mileage I do now even my current van will last until we are all driving electric vans haha.

My plan is to replace the luxury car I thought I had to sell, so sold it, then realised I maybe sold in haste and now want to replace it.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk