Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly the end of an era.

My bairn would love me to have that. She's Scooby Doo mad. It's crying out for some psychedelic flowers and it's 'The Mystery Machine!'. . You could make a fortune on kids parties, give em a spin in it, lol! x

Fair enough,each to his own.

BUT if you were trying to market yourself as a premier wedding DJ looking for the high end market wouldnt that van let you down.Surely the image you portray to your client and venue is important too.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Fair enough,each to his own.

BUT if you were trying to market yourself as a premier wedding DJ looking for the high end market wouldnt that van let you down.Surely the image you portray to your client and venue is important too.
    Absolutely Trev, no arguments at all. However:

In this case, performance is more important than appearance. Like many of us, my disco transport has another purpose in the daytime. The first criteria is that it is a 3,5Tonne vehicle. The second is that it cost as little as possible for as much van as possible. A gleaming paint job won't make it bigger, faster, or carry a gramme more.

In an ideal world, I'd have a sprinter for the Disco, with smart livery, high travelling speed, and a big loadspace, while The Hulk performed the day job. Sadly, it's not an ideal world.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'm sorry Peter,I thought you were one of the full timers on here.
    I should have sussed it out with the builders crap in the back but I assumed that it was like that in its former life.
    My apologies.

When I seen it, I laughed. Not in a ridiculing way, but because it pleases me that not everyone takes life sooo seriously! When I first started out I had an absolute battered ford courier van in white. I'd scratched and scraped it that much as a young kid novice driver, my dad called it 'The Beirut Banger!'. I did 8 karaoke/discos a week with it, 3 afternoons and 5 nights, excluding Saturdays which I kept free for weddings, private functions etc. Dud the clients ever see or even care about my van? I doubt it. They were the greatest, happiest times for me as a D.J . At the moment I drive a brand new Qashqai + 2, top spec and pull a brand new box trailer, private registration plates. I've had 5 gigs this year. Maybe it's high time I didn't take myself so seriously again! Best wishes Peter. May you have many miles and lots of work with her. . . Sarah x

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    When I seen it, I laughed. Not in a ridiculing way, but because it pleases me that not everyone takes life sooo seriously! When I first started out I had an absolute battered ford courier van in white. I'd scratched and scraped it that much as a young kid novice driver, my dad called it 'The Beirut Banger!'. I did 8 karaoke/discos a week with it, 3 afternoons and 5 nights, excluding Saturdays which I kept free for weddings, private functions etc. Dud the clients ever see or even care about my van? I doubt it. They were the greatest, happiest times for me as a D.J . At the moment I drive a brand new Qashqai + 2, top spec and pull a brand new box trailer, private registration plates. I've had 5 gigs this year. Maybe it's high time I didn't take myself so seriously again! Best wishes Peter. May you have many miles and lots of work with her. . . Sarah x

I'm sorry Peter,I thought you were one of the full timers on here.
    I should have sussed it out with the builders crap in the back but I assumed that it was like that in its former life.
    My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    . At the moment I drive a brand new Qashqai + 2, top spec and pull a brand new box trailer, private registration plates. I've had 5 gigs this year. Sarah x
    Blimey Sarah, and they say you can't get good money in the North East? You must be charging more than (Insert name of high class DJ of choice here ) .
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well I was hoping that I could show you a photo of my Renault Scenic but for some strange reason they are not in my picture file but that is my choice of disco waggon.
    So something really fit for the purpose

How often does the client (or anyone that actually matters at the venue for that matter) see your vehicle.

A van with a bulkhead vs a people carrier?

The van will win for me every time regardless of it's condition (as long as it's roadworthy). Doesn't matter if you're full time, part time, or one gig a year. The vehicle should be fit for the purpose you are using it for. I know of one DJ at least who can't justify owning a van, so he hires one when needed for gigs.
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 30-05-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spotted typo
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Fair enough,Peter has given his reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    So something really fit for the purpose

And you actually think that van with sand,cement,plaster and assorted building equipment is fit for the purpose of transporting DJ equipment never mind my opinion that it is a bit tatty and doesnt do his image any favours.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    The vehicle should be fit for the purpose you are using it for. I know of one DJ at least who can't justify owning a van, so he hires one when needed for gigs.
    Hmmm....I currently use a Focus C-Max, and everything fits in the boot apart from the DSB, which sits on the back seat. I realise that this had potential to dismember me in a high speed collision.

However, C-Max is rapidly becoming a pain in the arse, having a couple of thousand spent on it this year, and the same last. It's only worth £3k at best! So, it's going. Now I can't remember the last time I had a car that I wanted, rather than a tool. Have my eye on a nice Mercedes C220 Coupe...might get round the disco problem by hiring a van for gigs
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands