Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Multiple Domain Names pointing to the same site.

Default Multiple Domain Names pointing to the same site.

Without wanting to hijack another thread on this ...

What is the best way of dealing with a scenario where I may want several domain names all pointing at the same site?

Is it best to purchase and then use an alias or for it to be fully hosted with a forwarder on to my site. I don't want the overhead of maintaining multiple sites.

Thanks

Sorry, can you explain it to me as numpty

At the moment I have the domain www.wfsd.co.uk

I am thinking of buying other domains that might rank higher in searches than this one because they will contain my location.

so for instance www.warwickshire-whatever.co.uk would point directly to www.wfsd.co.uk and open that site.

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    Sorry, can you explain it to me as numpty

At the moment I have the domain www.wfsd.co.uk

I am thinking of buying other domains that might rank higher in searches than this one because they will contain my location.

so for instance www.warwickshire-whatever.co.uk would point directly to www.wfsd.co.uk and open that site.
    If you only have one website then you should only use one domain. If you park loads of domains to the same site Google will at best pick one to index (probably the oldest) and as good as ignore the rest, or at worst penalise you for duplicate content.

So, no point registering multiple domains for the sole purpose of gaining better search engine positioning if they're all going to point to the same website. If you do have them all on the same website, pick the domain you'd like to be indexed for and do a 301 redirect for all the others.