Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding speeches, speaker location

Background music is pretty essential for a wedding breakfast. It helps break up those 'awkward silences' People don't drive to work without the radio on. There's nothing worse than hearing people scrape their plates.

Everytime I've suggested it, the couple has gone with it. If I'm honest Mike, I'm surprised this is the first time you've done it - it's quite a popular service.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    I am am hoping that is the case
    It might be worth taking a decent leaded mic too, just in case>

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    It might be worth taking a decent leaded mic too, just in case>
    Thanks for the advice. Got it covered

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Background music is pretty essential for a wedding breakfast. It helps break up those 'awkward silences' People don't drive to work without the radio on. There's nothing worse than hearing people scrape their plates.

Everytime I've suggested it, the couple has gone with it. If I'm honest Mike, I'm surprised this is the first time you've done it - it's quite a popular service.
    There are a few venues I play that are able to play background music Charlie.

I am surprised as well I have been DJing a long time, and covered lot's of weddings, but hadn't really thought about offering the service
    I have been advertising it on my website for about a month now. Nobody has requested it!

I am in the process of changing the website slightly, to advertise it better.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Good luck and let us know how you get on!
    Thanks Charlie, I will keep you all updated.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    re the mics Toby, again I need to try them out, see how it goes.

There will be approx 80 people at the meal. The groom has only requested mics for speeches, and not background music, but I will suggest it to him.
    You need a good Mike - Mike

What ever you do do not use the supplied ones for speeches if your not using it only. You cant hear anyone when it is moved more than 10cm from the mouth. The amount of time i tell people even with my AKG's someone always drops it down below their neck and wonders why no sound is coming out. They are nervous and more than often are concentrating more on the notes than the mic.

If you don't have a choice make sure tell them strictly and make sure they do not walk around as it will hiss in and out and ruin the speech or the speakers nerves. If its a smaller room (as 80 is not much) then its probably better to not have the mics IMO.

For the sake of £80 get one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00512WZ1...SIN=B00512WZ1E

The dual set for £150 is amazing value!!
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    You need a good Mike - Mike

What ever you do do not use the supplied ones for speeches if your not using it only. You cant hear anyone when it is moved more than 10cm from the mouth. The amount of time i tell people even with my AKG's someone always drops it down below their neck and wonders why no sound is coming out. They are nervous and more than often are concentrating more on the notes than the mic.

If you don't have a choice make sure tell them strictly and make sure they do not walk around as it will hiss in and out and ruin the speech or the speakers nerves. If its a smaller room (as 80 is not much) then its probably better to not have the mics IMO.

For the sake of £80 get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00512WZ1...SIN=B00512WZ1E

The dual set for £150 is amazing value!!
    Thanks for that Toby. I take it that is what you use? Obviously you have to plug it into the back of the QTX, which will make it less portable?
    I will bear all that in mind once I have tried my mic's tomorrow.
    Thanks again

Not necessarily. If you do want to add a better quality mic without compromising the portability of the speaker, invest in an audio sender like the LD WATTS (as seen in this thread http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ighlight=Watts ) you could have the receiver of the mic with your kit going into a mic channel on your mixer & run the input of the WATTS from a spare output on your mixer (probably best not to use booth as a lot of mixers don't feed the mic through the booth output). Thus enabling not only speech, but music to be broadcast via the portable speaker (the WATTS receivers are battery powered)
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 25-05-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

That's alright if you have a separate mixer set up, but doesn't help if you are just using the QTX on its own.

Also, using an external radio mic is a little pointless if you bought the QTX specifically 'cos it is battery powered as you'd need to plug the mic into a power source.