Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding speeches, speaker location

Which is why I suggested the WATTS the power source doesn't need to be anywhere near the speaker.

I agree about if you specifically bought it because it was battery powered. It would be nice to see a UHF version on the market.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Which is why I suggested the WATTS the power source doesn't need to be anywhere near the speaker.
    Yes, but as I said if you are using the QTX by itself because it is battery powered, it defeats the point of the object to have to set something else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Not necessarily. If you do want to add a better quality mic without compromising the portability of the speaker, invest in an audio sender like the LD WATTS (as seen in this thread http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ighlight=Watts ) you could have the receiver of the mic with your kit going into a mic channel on your mixer & run the input of the WATTS from a spare output on your mixer (probably best not to use booth as a lot of mixers don't feed the mic through the booth output). Thus enabling not only speech, but music to be broadcast via the portable speaker (the WATTS receivers are battery powered)
    Thanks for that Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Yes, but as I said if you are using the QTX by itself because it is battery powered, it defeats the point of the object to have to set something else up.
    That was what I was thinking as well Darren, but having other options is good.
    Depending on how the mics perform, I may look at seperate radio mics. I may also be looking at adding another speaker as well (but I will leave asking how to add a second one on until another thread!!)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    That was what I was thinking as well Darren, but having other options is good.
    Depending on how the mics perform, I may look at seperate radio mics. I may also be looking at adding another speaker as well (but I will leave asking how to add a second one on until another thread!!)
    Another reason to have the speaker up high as people abzord the radio frequency. Watts is a good idea if you already have a set up closeby I do htis a lot with function rooms in a different area/upstairs, although that has a tendency to cut out. Not sure I fI have a dodgy set?

I a room of 80 people You will probably not need the mics for speeches anyway. Just use it yourself for announcing and congratulating.

And dont be so lazy You have been booked all day so plug a sodding radio mic in if not (assuming you are not anywhere near a plug socket). If you do not need to eq it then you can go straight into the watts and then to the speaker.

The main benefit for the battery one is for external sound where no electric is present and also as mentioned remote rooms for a feed/background.
    I certainly did not buy it for the microphones.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Another reason to have the speaker up high as people abzord the radio frequency. Watts is a good idea if you already have a set up closeby I do htis a lot with function rooms in a different area/upstairs, although that has a tendency to cut out. Not sure I fI have a dodgy set?

I a room of 80 people You will probably not need the mics for speeches anyway. Just use it yourself for announcing and congratulating.
    And dont be so lazy You have been booked all day so plug a sodding radio mic in if not (assuming you are not anywhere near a plug socket). If you do not need to eq it then you can go straight into the watts and then to the speaker.

The main benefit for the battery one is for external sound where no electric is present and also as mentioned remote rooms for a feed/background.
    I certainly did not buy it for the microphones.
    Thanks Toby, I really appreciate your help and comments If I could just make a couple of points (1) The reason I am doing this tomorrow is to find out how the whole portable PA system will work (including the mics). This will be it's first time out. To just use the mics myself will not let me see (or hear!) if it is going to work for other functions.
    (2) Nowhere in the post did I say I was booked all day What I said was, I was doing it F.O.C as a trial. (I will be there all day, but won't charge for it)

Thanks Toby, I really appreciate your help and comments If I could just make a couple of points (1) The reason I am doing this tomorrow is to find out how the whole portable PA system will work (including the mics). This will be it's first time out. To just use the mics myself will not let me see (or hear!) if it is going to work for other functions.
    (2) Nowhere in the post did I say I was booked all day What I said was, I was doing it F.O.C as a trial. (I will be there all day, but won't charge for it)
    Whats an FOC trial?

Thats all cool. I would rather spend a couple of mins wiring in some decent mics than have a speech fall flat on its face. Once they are up there there is not much you can do as I am sure you are aware. Unless you want to look like a tool

I have had mics die before and just said carry on without it and remained at the back of the room.

Is the room large or outside? most function rooms I frequent don't need mics IMO and it often less
    stressful for the talker not to hold one. Head sets are OK but a bit too corporate for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Whats an FOC trial?

Thats all cool. I would rather spend a couple of mins wiring in some decent mics than have a speech fall flat on its face. Once they are up there there is not much you can do as I am sure you are aware. Unless you want to look like a tool

I have had mics die before and just said carry on without it and remained at the back of the room.

Is the room large or outside? most function rooms I frequent don't need mics IMO and it often less
    stressful for the talker not to hold one. Head sets are OK but a bit too corporate for my liking.
    I am thinking that you are winding me up here F.O.C = free of charge!

The room is not that big. I don't own a seperate radio mic at the moment (that is for another thread) I will however have a leaded mic ready in case of probs (probs = problems ) thanks again Toby

I am thinking that you are winding me up here F.O.C = free of charge!
    No text talk and I am stupid.
    lead up with a long XLR - assuming the mic is good and the eq is checked before I would personally use that.

Thats a long old day but experience is experience. I hope you have a meal supplied at least

My MC service is classed as free anyway as some people want it and others just want part of it,
    so they do not feel they are paying for something they are not getting. £1000 a day is a good wage IMO (in my opinion )
    Last edited by yourdj; 27-05-2012 at 12:31 AM.

I use the Bose L1 or a compact, position is irrelevant…feedback is irrelevant. Interesting idea about the reflection, one to remember for the future.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever