Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Splendid isolation, or Three Musketeers?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I do see what you're trying to say Peter, and I'm really not missing your point, but you're way of working just isn't for me. Different strokes for different folks.
    And I for one celebrate that diversity. I've worked with other DJs from here, and some of their ways of working clash with mine. Having seen how many times their punters praise them sometimes makes me wonder who is right.
    I don't however celebrate the live act rocking up an hour after the gig has started, dragging their kit across the dancefloor, and then dragging it out again through my dancers. If I can avoid this, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Out of interest and I'm not meaning this to come across in a "I'm right your wrong" way but the folks that do allow others to patch into your gear...... Have you ever had someone that was just plain awful? No idea what they were doing.........
    Regularly. That's why I've got my fingers on the buttons and knobs at my end. And I did one at a wedding last year where the performers were absolute stars, and superb musicians. It made the day for the father of the bride.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I don't however celebrate the live act rocking up an hour after the gig has started, dragging their kit across the dancefloor, and then dragging it out again through my dancers. If I can avoid this, I will
    But why should the onus of avoiding this be down to you.. You're not providing the service, they are!! Why can't they do as we do, arrive early prior to the guests arriving and set up and wait as we would do? You seem to be keen to find ways around issues that quite frankly should be rectified and avoided by them.

We all often work with bands. I've been booked many a time to end the evening after the bands played. In most of these cases I setup at the start of the night and wait around till it's my performance time. I do this to ensure a smooth transition.. Why can't they do the same in the situation described above.
    Last edited by Shaun; 29-05-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Out of interest and I'm not meaning this to come across in a "I'm right your wrong" way but the folks that do allow others to patch into your gear...... Have you ever had someone that was just plain awful? No idea what they were doing.........
    No, not yet, but one day i'm sure it'll happen.

I had problems with a band this weekend..
    I was told there was a singer on while they was eating there meal but nothing else..
    it was in a marquee and it was arranged that i got there early to set up..
    I was there at 10 in the morning and set up on the small stage next to the dance floor. I was told the singer was only bringing 2 speakers and a cd player and would set up near the door which was the other side of the dance floor..
    I thought great..The singer was going to sing between 6 and 8 on the evening, so i returned at 7 just in case..At 8 o clock just as i was going to start a few men in jeans, trainers etc walked in looking around and not looking very happy..I went over to them and asked them whats up..
    The reply was we are a 5 piece band and we are playing for 90 mins and i would have to move off the Stage so they could set up..
    I told them i was playing till 2 in the morning and there was no way i was moving as i was about to start.. He wanted to play through my system but he had a bad attuide, so i told him no chance..
    In the end they set up on the dance floor and they also finished early..
    Do not like playing with band to be honest..

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    You're allowed to say arsehole
    I could not say such a thing, I am far too polite...
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

But why should the onus of avoiding this be down to you.. You're not providing the service, they are!! Why can't they do as we do, arrive early prior to the guests arriving and set up and wait as we would do?
    Oh Shaun my dear boy. Either that was a rhetorical question, a plea to a higher being, or you credit me with way more knowledge than I possess.

I have never professed to understand the thought processes of Women, nor of Live Artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oh Shaun my dear boy. Either that was a rhetorical question, a plea to a higher being, or you credit me with way more knowledge than I possess.

I have never professed to understand the thought processes of Women, nor of Live Artists.
    It was a rhetorical question, but it was a genuine and valid point raised by your previous post and your reasoning for allowing other entertainers to use your gear, and based on my lack of understanding why you feel the need to over-compensate for the live acts shortcomings. I'm all for going over and above for the client, but definitely not for every hired hand. And I'm really finding it hard to understand why you (or indeed anybody) feels the need to have additional inputs especially added to the back of their cases, or feel the need to have added expense of buying DI boxes etc to be used for something at isn't part of your job description. And for what, the (in a lot of cases) presumption and laziness of other entertainers. I really really don't get it.

Anyway, I seem to be repeating myself, there's not much more I can add to this discussion. We're at two completely polar ends of the spectrum in our reasoning here Peter.

The point I'm trying to make is that my aim isn't mollycoddling live acts, nor is it to do more than I told the client I would, but to ensure the smoothest possible running of the function. If that means I run a mic or two into my rig, or play a CD, then so be it.

As you well know, since this isn't a perfect world, sometimes events/circumstances/persons conspire against us, and scupper our endeavours.

As to fitting extra sockets, I'm merely ensuring that if it exists on the mixer, it exists in a place where I can access it, should I need it for whatever reason.
    Anyway, I seem to be repeating myself, there's not much more I can add to this discussion. We're at two completely polar ends of the spectrum in our reasoning here Peter.
    I strongly suspect though, that our aims are identical, and we merely employ different methods to achieve the same end. Were it not a breach of my beloved rule 23, I'd have said "Vive la différence ".

Quote Originally Posted by Retrodisco View Post
    You read all this talk of DJ's creating a fuss about singers plugging in a asking for money to use their gear, just get on with it, the clients party should not be ruined with fussing, my client had no idea the night was running by the seat of it's pants, with three singers and a guitar, with only a DJ controller, it's our job to make it happen regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Well, I dunno about anyone else, but when someone books me for a disco they get a disco. If they are looking for an event coordinator, a talent technician and stage manager to go with that, you're damn skippy I'll be charging more.
    And another old chestnut rises phoenix-like from the ashes. Uncharacteristically on this subject, I shall do a Rob and .

( I bet I can roughly guess the ages of the above three members, though. )

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Well, I dunno about anyone else, but when someone books me for a disco they get a disco. If they are looking for an event coordinator, a talent technician and stage manager to go with that, you're damn skippy I'll be charging more. It's because of stuff like this that I always ask during a consultation whether there is anything else that I would need to know that would effect the evening's entertainment so I'm able to go in with eyes open and if anything changes after they say "No" and a load of talent turns up looking for direction from me, then they'd be pointed towards the person who has organised the event. I'm all for giving bang for buck and working autonomously to ensure that the stress comes off the organiser, but to be a stage manager, talent technician, event coordinator and provide a disco for the monetary compensation of a disco...sod that.

Absolutely Benny - in 2016 there was a decent amount of situations where they had friends wanting to sing a special song, an acoustic trio doing the first dance and a duo doing a full 45 minute set before the first dance.

I was aware of this from our meeting and was able to prepare - sorry but I don't usually bring a 20 foot xlr for a wired mic or a mic stand, or guitar leads and so on and so on but if I'm told before hand and it's not someone pulling a paid shift then absolutely.

If you turn up on the night wanting to plug or sing something through my rig then my sincerest apologies but unless you're pivotal to things then chances are you're going to find me on a night with my DJ rig that simply can't do what you're trying to achieve (another benefit to a controller over a mixer someone can call you out on )

But I digress.

Right back into it with a wedding in one of St Andrews lesser famous golf courses on Saturday night.

Scots, English, Zimbabwean and South Africa expats - I was told they were a bit reserved and stuffy by the MC who was so desperate to get home we had the first dance at 7 on the button even though people were still wanting to mill about at the bar and digest dinner.

Started off a bit lukewarm on account of it being so early but by half 8 they were moving and by 9 the floor was rammed and stayed so right until the death.

Biggest track of the night - Toto's Africa

Brilliant start to the year.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 10-01-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: merged posts