Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Party time or too formal ???

Default Party time or too formal ???

Point of discussion, came about from a meeting I had earlier and the B&G had already spoken to other DJ’s :

‘Taking the whole context of the wedding day into account and all the celebrations, formalities, emotions that have passed by, the disco is the time for relaxation and enjoyment. The party would rather have a disco that they enjoy and can party too rather than extending the formalities of the day further than what is required. A few wires hanging on show or not having the highest grade equipment is far less important than playing the right music and everyone enjoying themselves. As long as the DJ is smart why should I care if he is wearing a Dinner Suit, shirt and tie or whatever ?

Too much talk about how the disco is the most important part of the wedding day, the stuffy formal image is not what the party time should be about.’

What are your thoughts ??
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

My thoughts are why can't you have tidy cables, a tidy show, decent gear, be smart and play the right music?

Why the comparison between a few hanging wires and playing the right music? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Why should the bride care if the DJ is smart? Why should she then care whether her guests are smart or the venue is properly dressed? And so it goes on...

The comments were made after meeting other DJs at home and at wedding fayres and their opinions were as above - basically they felt that the DJ's they had spoken too were more worried about the formalities and 'minor' details than the fact they were there to entertain and provide a party atmosphere.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I suspect at least one of the other DJ's has really pushed the MC angle and also told a few stories about 'unprofessional' set-ups and forgot the fun factor.

A client doesn't talk about hanging wires, highest grade equipment and formalities like that unprompted.

Sounds like the oversell has put them right off!

Initial thoughts, for what they're worth.
    There is a certain amount of formality and protocol to be observed, but I tend to agree with the sentiment that the evening should primarily be fun. Sadly nowadays, that can often mean it descends into unseemly behaviour, often with unfortunate consequences. It is a fine line between letting your hair down a bit, and abandoning all regard for those around you.

Regarding the style/substance debate, my views are well known. I'm with Darren all the way that it's preferable to have tidiness as well as good performance, but if it's a choice between a DJ with shabby kit and clothes who packs the floor all night long, and one with immaculate kit who stands there deadpan playing all his songs to an empty floor, well you can guess which one I'd take.

This game can at times be a balancing act, and often that's the hardest thing to achieve.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    The comments were made after meeting other DJs at home and at wedding fayres and their opinions were as above - basically they felt that the DJ's they had spoken too were more worried about the formalities and 'minor' details than the fact they were there to entertain and provide a party atmosphere.
    Fair comment, but if you are planning an event and spending a lot of money, wouldn't you be concerned with the details?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Fair comment, but if you are planning an event and spending a lot of money, wouldn't you be concerned with the details?
    I've never been asked or discussed these things with clients - I think it's taken as a given it'll be a suitable, tidy set-up and appropriate for the occasion.

Of course that's trusting me (or any other DJ) to deliver this, but I can understand if a DJ focussed to much on this side of things without being asked it could put people off.

Yes, but the start of the evening is really an extension of the daytime formalities, often with cake cutting, introduction of the first dance, so wearing the dinner suit, being tidy, looking nice is quite important.

You can still give them a belter of a party later on.

With Martin on this, certainly someone has given them the oversell when they are just after a DJ.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

surely this is the challenge and the standards we are all trying to achieve, - everytime.

right clothing,right appearance,right gear and the ability to deliver a memorable enjoyable disco. - everytime