Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New mics? Mine have been used and abusedddd :(

I know this is an old thread but I'm in much the same position, At first I was thinking about either the Kam 1940 uhf or Kam kwm 11 vhf then i read this and i'm looking towards that pack of wired mic's.

My question is, How do you cope with the cables? I can picture people tripping over them if the pub is busy or a singer pulling the cable and my mixer landing on the deck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JSideFx View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I'm in much the same position, At first I was thinking about either the Kam 1940 uhf or Kam kwm 11 vhf then i read this and i'm looking towards that pack of wired mic's.

My question is, How do you cope with the cables? I can picture people tripping over them if the pub is busy or a singer pulling the cable and my mixer landing on the deck.

Thanks
    Alright mate.

I did karaoke as a sideline for years and never really had a problem with mics. I used some dirt cheap Behringer mics too and they never missed a beat. I still use them for speeches if the speaker is a bit worse for wear and liable to drop one of my wireless mics. You don't want to have a nice mic getting used, abused and slebbered over by dozens of people a night.

Some bits of advice I'd give if you are going wired is make sure it's not wrapped round anything. I used to loop the XLR cable through the handles on my mixer rack when DJing to secure it and stop it hitting the floor if I dropped it but I'd never do that with karaoke as if someone decides to go walkies during a song and the cable is looped around something, that thing (in my case a big rack box with power, mixer, outboards, CD player) is going to go with them.

On a similar point, keep an eye on the give of the cable. If someone is glued to the spot with 10 feet of give to spare then it's not an issue but if someone thinks they're playing Wembley and running around the room, keep an eye on the cable and be ready to yank it out of the mixer input before they end up pulling the mixer away with them or buckling the jack on the cable. I've had to do that a few times.

I think i'd be safer with a set of wireless mic's?

I think i'd be safer with a set of wireless mic's?
    It's rare that I do Karaoke with wireless mics ( partly because all mine are too expensive for me to replace. ) The three pack Behringers with good cables are more than for purpose. If you're worried, then tie the blighters to the deckstand.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The three pack Behringers with good cables are more than for purpose. If you're worried, then tie the blighters to the deckstand.
    Another thing you can do is get a metal electrical box and fit jack sockets on it, wire those to the mike inputs on the mixer and use jack ended leads on your mikes plugged into the metal box.

That way, if someone pulls on the lead the plug will just pull out of the socket with no damage. A bit like the quick release on some x-box controllers.

Thanks
    Maybe overkill....but i used a stage snake.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTICORE-...item460784dae3
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    It's rare that I do Karaoke with wireless mics ( partly because all mine are too expensive for me to replace. ) The three pack Behringers with good cables are more than for purpose. If you're worried, then tie the blighters to the deckstand.
    The Berry 1800s is a "super cardioid" mic with a tighter polar patern (more gain before feedback) akin to the Shure Beta58a.. The regular SM58 is just cardioid... Good cables are a no-brainer and tied to a 56lb weight too