Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop screen goes black??

Default Laptop screen goes black??

Hi all

I'm after some laptop help if possible. My laptop screen fades to virtually black, completely randomly. Whatever is on the screen when thus happens us barely visible, but still there. By faffing about at angles, I can see that the screen brightness is set to max. If I close the laptop lid, then open it again, all is well for a few seconds, maybe a minute, after I press the power button...then nothing again!

Cheers

J
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post
    Hi all

I'm after some laptop help if possible. My laptop screen fades to virtually black, completely randomly. Whatever is on the screen when thus happens us barely visible, but still there. By faffing about at angles, I can see that the screen brightness is set to max. If I close the laptop lid, then open it again, all is well for a few seconds, maybe a minute, after I press the power button...then nothing again!

Cheers

J
    It sounds as though its going in to energy saving mode/sleep mode if you have a look in the power management there is options to setit to do nothing when power button is pressed, when your using battery, when the power is low on the battery etc or when not used for so long

If you look in the control panel and look in hardware and sound the choose power options you will see the all the selections in there (if youing windows 7) other windows having the same option but have there own section in control panel

Hope this helps and manages to sort the issue out.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Booche View Post
    It sounds as though its going in to energy saving mode/sleep mode if you have a look in the power management there is options to setit to do nothing when power button is pressed, when your using battery, when the power is low on the battery etc or when not used for so long

If you look in the control panel and look in hardware and sound the choose power options you will see the all the selections in there (if youing windows 7) other windows having the same option but have there own section in control panel

Hope this helps and manages to sort the issue out.
    Thanks anyway, but nothings changed settings wise.
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post
    Thanks anyway, but nothings changed settings wise.
    Ahh right could be worth just checking to see if any updates have altered anything (i doubt they will but you never know)
    Dave

Are you sure? One of my laptops started doing random things a couple of weeks ago. It would appear it had ran some kind of update mid-gig and completely reset all of my options on VDJ. It was very strange indeed!

But it does sound like it's going to "sleep". Or maybe even the screensaver settings have changed and the screensaver is kicking in unexpectedly.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I would guess it's hardware and it sounds like the backlight driver is failing to me, closing the lid powers the driver circuit down but when re-energized it fails again, a thermally intermittent fault.

Sounds like its FUCT! Failed Under Constant Testing. New screen may solve the problem but would possibly cheaper to get a new laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
    Sounds like its FUCT! Failed Under Constant Testing. New screen may solve the problem but would possibly cheaper to get a new laptop.
    The guy I sub work from had a laptop whose screen died. He actually ordered a new screen off t'internet and fitted it himself (and, by his own admission, he's not the best at computers!) but he pulled it off and saved some cash in the process. Just a thought!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Many laptops use a driver circuit and it can be replaced quite easily and the screen will not need replacing but it really depends on the model.

This is the sort of thing I am talking about but obviously your going to have to look into the model that you have. http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_5.htm or take it to someone who can help. But I would think from what you describe the driver is the most likely cause.