Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why...

Default Why...

is it that I keep reading on forums and Facebook that "The client didn't complain, so it was fine"

Examples are using a cheap mixer, using sign written frontage, having cables everywhere, using shabby equipment generally..

Do you really think that a client would physically come over and complain about something, or would they just be thinking about it and not book you again next time, or do these things really not matter at all in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    is it that I keep reading on forums and Facebook that "The client didn't complain, so it was fine"

Examples are using a cheap mixer, using sign written frontage, having cables everywhere, using shabby equipment generally..

Do you really think that a client would physically come over and complain about something, or would they just be thinking about it and not book you again next time, or do these things really not matter at all in your opinion?

My thoughts exactly

By that reckoning, those who don't care or didn't get complained about wouldnt get return or referral work from the gig...if they do, then the detail evidently didn't matter, if they don't get follow on work then eventually they'll get found out...well, that would be the hope.

It's an easy defence - why listen to the opinions of fellow professionals when your clients don't say anything?

And even if the clients and guests don't notice these things it's very easy to let standards slip because no one is giving any feedback, and that's a slippery slope!

Um, "I didn't turn up for my gig last night, cos I went out with the lads drinking, probably ruined the wedding, the client didn't complain, so it was fine"
    http://www.mikemooreentertainments.co.uk
    ...playing all the hits for you...
    ....wherever you may be .......

Those people probably don't look at every gig as another opportunity to gain additional work. They may get booked and do the gig with what they have and not really care about presentation etc and it's likely that the people that they are playing too don't really worry about the presentation side of things?
    I know of one person in my area that has the mentality of "If I get through it, job done". It does make me cringe because the presentation is bad. He goes out cheapily and doesn't really care.

In my opinion, every gig has the potential to gain follow on bookings so I always do my best. If the customer wasn't happy then I'd want to know why and if it's something I could improve upon, then I would. Just because someone "didn't complain" doesn't mean that they were happy with the service does it.

If we are talking about a group that is a "forum in a box" I would agree that it does seem to highlight the worse in DJs sometimes. I've removed myself from the group because it is an open group and anyone logged into facebook can read the comments.
    A couple of people that are not DJs that have browsed the page have made comments to me about the unprofessional attitude and comments made by other DJs. I'd rather not be associated with something that creates an adverse impression of the industry.
    I wonder how many potential clients have seen the group and have had second thoughts about booking a DJ or is that not a problem because no one has complained?
    (I have mentioned it to the admins of the group this morning.)

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post

My thoughts exactly too.

And this isn't a pop at budget operators either. I have noticed some DJs in the premium end of the market have said it too.

There are dj's that have been making a very good living for years using cheaper branded equipment, sign written frontage. No excuse for messy cables though. It clearly works for them. Besides , the majority of b&g's only book a Dj once in their life! They didn't complain AND you got paid, that's the most important thing, yes there will be the odd thing we all do that b&g's don't like during the night, ie play a song they don't like or not have a song etc.
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!