Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Client behaviour.

Default Client behaviour.

Normally I'm a fairly placid kind of chap, but this weekend's gigs both nearly had me at breaking point!
    First one had food involved, which soon became projectiles. Then the usual spillage of drinks which meant that the dancefloor resembled a paddling pool. A broken glass or two, for good measure, but the really worrying thing for me was when they started picking each other up bodily and administering The Bumps, or suchlike. At times it looked more like Dancing on Ice! Other punters and my kit were in danger at times, yet these s had no respect for other people's persons or property. Disgraceful.

Then, after appearing to have gone into a coma for half an hour or so, the floor is rammed for the last fifteen minutes, and at the finish the chant goes up " Play one more/Just one more" etc. The most annoying bit was one chap who said" Go on, you know you want to ". At that point, all I wanted to do was to leave, believe me.

When the lights went up, the room was not only a disgrace, but a health hazard. The bar staff were equally disgusted with the antics of the crowd.

Saturday night should have been a walk in the park by comparison, a 21st for a lovely girl in a local social club. I did her Dad's 50th birthday there ,and we all had a great time. This one started fine, but with little dancefloor action. No matter, I played a fair mixture, older stuff for family at the beginning, then a load of chart tunes, as the younger ones were coming in. At eleven, the birthday girl asked me to play as much cheese as possible, so away we went with the full cheeseboard. At this point, some drunk comes up and says ( not in a very polite manner ) " We need some modern stuff". I pointed out that I was following the guest of honour's instructions, but this carried little weight. I wouldn't have minded so much, except I'd just finished playing an hour and a half of it!

As at the previous night's gig, we then had lads behaving very "boisterously" on the dancefloor, while holding drinks, and my Custom Deckstand ( a Pool Table by day ) was barged into more than once. I really think a normal stand would not have withstood the knocks without damage. One idiot actually jumped onto the front of the table to request a song!

With or without the taking of strong drink, politeness seems to have gone out of the window ( though on each night, I did have some lovely well behaved and courteous punters ), when will they learn that asking politely for a request increases their chances of having it played?

Final straw was at the end, this venue doesn't have a rigid finish time, they play it by ear, depending on the crowd, the bar takings, and the atmosphere. The only time we hit 1am is NYE. Not normally a problem, since they all decamp to the pub across the road, which stays open longer.

Since the birthday girl was bar staff, and things in general were fine, 1am was decreed as a finish time. And guess what? Yes, you're ahead of me:
    " Just one more"

Neither were particularly bad gigs, but both left me in such a bad frame of mind.

Was it just me being Old and Crotchety, or have you had similar experiences? Am I simply doing the " It was never like that in my day" or is behaviour in general going down the tube?

Over to you.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Was it just me being Old and Crotchety, or have you had similar experiences? Am I simply doing the " It was never like that in my day" or is behaviour in general going down the tube?
    I think with H&S we become more aware of these things. I hate it too and am younger than you, so I'm not sure it's an age thing. I have never played one more and I also hate it when people dance with glasses in their hands.

Behaviour is getting worse, but it does depend on the kind of people you are playing to.

I guess some nights you just get the rowdy crowds, especially 21st's etc

I know its hard to think like this but when you count the amount of people you play to in a year, i bet 95% of the people are fine.
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Behaviour is getting worse, but it does depend on the kind of people you are playing to.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with you there. It seems to be across the board to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Javlingames View Post
    I know its hard to think like this but when you count the amount of people you play to in a year, i bet 95% of the people are fine.
    On balance, you may be right, but getting two in a row like this has really got to me. Quite frankly I'm disgusted.

There's nothing to disagree with. I didn't say what kind of class or social standing, I said the kind of people....

On balance, you may be right, but getting two in a row like this has really got to me. Quite frankly I'm disgusted.
    Alcohol brings out the worst in people so it doesnt really matter what class, background, type etc.
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    There's nothing to disagree with. I didn't say what kind of class or social standing, I said the kind of people....
    Ah gotcha. You mean the usual Hooligans and and Riff Raff that I tend to play to.

Quote Originally Posted by Javlingames View Post
    Alcohol brings out the worst in people so it doesnt really matter what class, background, type etc.
    Can't argue there.

Simple solution when it gets to rowdy, kill the atmosphere with a couple of ballads.

Behaviour is falling and I am not that old, but still notice it.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Agree. Manners and polite etiquette are disappearing
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco