Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I guess I'll just be pressing the PLAY button.

Question I guess I'll just be pressing the PLAY button.

Hi all,

This weekend I have 2 weddings at the same venue. Both weddings are for couples in their late twenties but they are so different from eachother.

Friday's wedding - The couple have been pretty laid back about their playlist. They've given me some indications as to the music that they don't want (nothing out of the ordinary really) and they've said that a good mix through the decades to suit everybody would be cool. If people ask for some cheesy stuff then they're cool with that too. Pretty much the usual scenario really.

Saturday's wedding - This is totally different hence the title of the thread. It seems like I'll be just selecting the requests that they have given me and pressing the play button which is not really my cup of tea. I have advised all of the usual stuff when couples have a request list that is predominantly their personal taste but they are quite adamant that I play as many as I can.
    I am sat here with a request list of 241 songs that they have compiled. It's the biggest pre-request list I have ever had. It has everything from Aloe Blacc to Womack & Womack.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a decent list of songs and a lot of it is right up my street but I can envisage it not having the desired effect with everybody.

I am going to have to go through the list and put the tracks into sections and genres because it's in alphabetical order at the moment.

To give you an idea how adamant they are that I stick to the list.... In the meeting I asked if their guests were into the same kind of music. They said that the majority should like them but at the end of the day, it was their day and they wanted all of their favourites played. The list has come from their I-tunes folder/library. I had a look through the list and saw a couple of tracks and said that it was great because it would give me pointers and I could chuck in other tracks that would work. They said they'd rather I didn't deviate away from the list. I also asked what they wanted me to do should their list not go down as expected and they said to just stick with it (that may change on the night...who knows?).
    When we spoke about the background/warm up music as guests arrive etc, I advised of the kind of tracks that I usually play and they didn't like any of them and again said that they'd like to think that they've provided me with enough music not to stray away from the list.

If it all works well and it's one of the best gigs ever, cool...I'll let everyone know when it's over but it looks like one of those "Why didn't they use their I-Pod?" moments. Ok, an I-Pod can't make announcements and big up the first dance etc but at the moment I'm thinking of going in fancy dress as an I-Pod because that's what I might as well be!

Just to add, I have advised as much as I can and gone over everything. I know 241 tracks will never get played in 4.5hrs and it's one of those occasions where I am simply going to do what they have paid me for and that's play the music THEY want to hear from their list.

Anyone ever had a massive list like this and been told that they have to stick with it?
    Did it work?
    If it didn't work, were you told to stick to it rigidly and therefore as a result, ended up with guests moaning or looking bored?

The weather forecast looks terrible so a lot of people will be staying put in the venue. It has lovely grounds but they are all in the open and there's no cover. I will be letting everyone know that I have a pre-request list of tracks that the Bride & Groom have chosen for their evening and hope that it kind of covers me.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and it could be an amazing gig? We'll see won't we.

I have had exactly that many times, one list was 412 songs! Told not to stray off the list as it was their day etc and stuff everyone else.

9 times out of 10 nobody dances, everyone looks bored then the guests start getting moody and asking why i feel it necessary to play such tripe at a wedding (those were a actual guests words!)

I explain I have a list i have to stick to and it usually leads to people going up to the bride and moaning at her about her choice of music.

I overheard one guest the other week saying to the bride, "if your gonna book a dj, why give them a rigid playlist, why not just bring in a ipod and some hifi speakers!, it does the same job"

Sadly its not nice for the bride but sometimes i do wish people would allow us to do what we are paid to do. I activally discourage huge playlists now and now include on my t&c that I can only accept playlists of upto 20 tracks.
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

Well chaps, I can't beat a four hundred track playlist, but I can shade Gary's by thirteen tracks! Two hundred and fifty four.

I was however given Editorial Control, apart from a handful of must plays, and at the last minute the bride specified the last three tracks. ( And when I say at the last minute, I mean thank the Lord for digital playouts. )

I got a backhanded compliment, as well from the Father of the Bride.

" You did a brilliant job, but then again, you did have all the music chosen for you already by Diana. "
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Cheers for the comments.
    I don't discourage anyone from providing playlists and I class myself as very 'Request Friendly' but I know exactly where you're coming from.
    I find it much more of a challenge having a list of 10 songs and trying to work out what the guests like rather than having a massive list.
    I've had a couple of instances where someone has commented about what I have been playing and I have shown them the list. Usually it's because the person has requested something which is on the 'Don't Play' list.

I have to say though, even if I was a guest at a wedding and didn't like what was being played, the last thing I would do is go up to the Bride and have a moan at her. As I said, I will mention it (probably more than once) that I have a "Great list of pre-requests from the Bride & Groom that has something for everyone in it"....or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post

I have to say though, even if I was a guest at a wedding and didn't like what was being played, the last thing I would do is go up to the Bride and have a moan at her. As I said, I will mention it (probably more than once) that I have a "Great list of pre-requests from the Bride & Groom that has something for everyone in it"....or something like that.
    I totally agree with you there, sadly thats some peoples attitudes these days.

On a different note, Sometimes the bride and groom see that a playlist is not working and will come over and say, "forget it and play what you think will make people dance"

I have noticed that on playlists i get a lot of slow music or songs that are near impossible to dance to, as you previously said, I think some people just give me a printout of their itunes librarys without really thinking about it.

Then again I get playlists that 95% of the tracks I would usually play anyway, its a strange old world

I do activally encourage people to request songs during the evening as well as it shows people are listening and enjoying the music being played
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

I do the same. Encouraging people to request songs. Sometimes you are swamped with loads, sometimes you don't get a single one.
    Regarding the slower songs, I generally pick them out and play them during the warm up, background music period.
    As you said, sometimes (and it's happened in the past), the Bride & Groom will realise that their 'favourites' aren't everybody elses favourites and aren't working as well as they'd expected...you know, "best laid plans" and all that and they'll be a bit more laid back and let you do your thing but it's not always the way. I have had a couple of examples over the years where they simply won't budge and you can see on guests faces that it's boring them and they aren't enjoying themselves and there's not a lot you can do.

That's why I think it's important to mention clearly (worded in the right way of course) that the songs being played throughout the evening are the choices of the customer. I can't help thinking when I am in this situation that the guests think it's me choosing the tracks and I'm rubbish. Whether I am or not is another thing (I'd like to think I'm not) but when you haven't got a choice or any input to what is played then what can you do but grin and bear it.

I try to advise as much as I can and I also say that it's their big day, it costs enough and it should be a night to remember. They should be able to look around during the night and see happy faces and guests enjoying themselves and dancing etc....not looking bored.

had very similar a couple of weeks ago young shaun (flatliners) was roadie for me,bride was adamant only play songs off the list no requests no exceptions,she did relent slightly just before we got set up maybe you can play songs not on the list,but must be same genre but she didn't want us too.

it does make a difference to the night although the bride spent most of the time on the dance floor with a select few of her friends dancing,the rest i think did join in but probably because they felt it the done thing and they were all aware we were playing off the brides list.

fortunately B&G left early,after seeing them off safely the crowd were back on the dance floor, more than one person made the comment

"bride and groom have gone ...throw that list away and let's have a party"
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I can't help thinking when I am in this situation that the guests think it's me choosing the tracks and I'm rubbish. Whether I am or not is another thing (I'd like to think I'm not) but when you haven't got a choice or any input to what is played then what can you do but grin and bear it.
    This is why I refuse these types of gigs. As well as providing the entertainment for the clients, each event is an opportunity to showcase the service I offer to all the guests in attendance - and music selection is a HUGE part of that. It's true I could keep making announcements to let the guests know it's the brides music choices being played, but if the evining is a flop and I'm constantly 'reminding' people that the music being played is requested by the bride, then I feel that could backfire by making my clients feel akward. I'd much rather just leave these type of events to DJs that are happy to do them.

Thinking about it, its only been maybe the last 18 months that I seem to get playlists for every event wether a birthday or wedding, did something change as I rarely got a playlist in the previous 9 years before that even though I have always asked for "favorite songs" etc.
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

I dont like them either (who does). Just grin and bear it
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco