Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Party for a 11 year old

Default Party for a 11 year old

Hi there,
    Just after a bit of advice, i usually do parties for 13 upwards but am doing one for a 11 year old soon. Now i have asked the Child what they want and they said they just want latest chart music, for some reason though i think that the Children want to be grown up and have a disco but are actually going to be bored. I have expressed this concern to the parent but she's just said as long as they enjoyed it then she doesn't care what i do.

So my plan of action is to do a disco but have a fair few songs with routines such as Cha Cha Slide, Big Fish Little Fish ect. Does this sound like a good idea ? What do other people do for 11/12 year olds ?

Dan

Depends on how grown up they like to think they are, I find 10-12 years olds are really hard work, They don't want to look like a kid doing silly dance routines and just want to listen to chart stuff. You should'nt have much problems getting the girls up to dance but don't expect much from the boys! They will just huddle in a corner in a pack. I usually play Run-DMC It's Like That and get them to show off their dance moves to each other, split the girls and the boys into 2 lines etc, this usually breaks the ice.
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

This is the situation I'm facing you see, i don't want to make it too childish as kids that age like to think they are older and not a child but at the same time i don't think a "Normal" disco would keep them entertained. I could be totally wrong which is why I'm going to do some ice breakers then do a normal disco, just want a plan b incase my fears are correct and they actually want some sort of games.

I've had the same mixed experience with 10-11yr olds. I've been asked to run Dance off style competitions with them before, but I've found the girls really quite spiteful (lots of boo'ing at the boys, no matter how good they are) so I set some very clear rules before I do it now.

Generally you'll find that despite them waiting to be grown up, the biggest reactions you'll get will be the action songs (Cha Cha, Macarena, Big fish to a lesser extent, etc) and the sing a longs of the moment (Firework, Forget you, etc) and they will join in games if prompted, but stick to more "mature" games.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I did a junior school disco a few months ago and found tha the action songs are just what is needed infact the teachers had got the kids to make a list of the songs they wanted and while I had a few chart hits to play the biggest part of their list comprised of songs with set dances that they all seemed to know biggest song of the afternoon was the macarana, 120 kids in the hall and they all danced with no prompting from me, it was very impressive wish i could have taken a picture.
    The head teacher was so impressed I got the bookings till the end of the year.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy, seems my idea is the way to go then. Chart hits as the girl said but with the backup of some simple dancing songs should it go as i expect it will. It's a 2 hour party with dinner in the middle as well so should it go not to good with the chart stuff i won't need loads and loads of the dancing songs.

If one lad dances to action songs you'll find the rest will too.
    You could try Michael Jackson stuff as well.

If they're really up for it you could arrange to separate lads from lasses either side of the floor and do a who can sing the loudest to Grease Summer Nights. I've done that.

Maybe incorporate some footy songs too, as it's the Euros. 3 Lions, Vindaloo, Chmbawamba etc.

Also easy games like take a pole they can limbo under, making it go lower and getting them out etc.
    I've taken a small goal and ball and arranged penalty shoot outs too.

Hope this helps

Sarah x

LIke the others have said just don't do games!

Worst age is between the age of 10 and 13

We have done a fair amount of 11 year old birthdays over the past couple of months. Do the whole night on chart stuff, dropping in a few action songs in as you mentioned cha cha slide etc.

A bit of glee perhaps, I would ask the young man about the justin beiber dilemna... some hate it (like me) others love it. Got a boo before for playing it, even though it was requested...

Tom
    ATR The X-Faders | Mobile DJ's in Essex
    Billericay & Surrounding Areas
    http://www.thexfadersdj.co.uk | Facebook | Twitter

they start off "to cool for school" but usually end up with cha cha slide and macerena etc being the biggies!

If you play he latest popular charts to start the kids willl settle down and after a spell relax - plenty of interaction, youll be fine!
    "Flexability - versatility and a sat-nav !!"

BeatRoute Mobile Disco & Karaoke covering Sunderland, Durham, & Tyne and wear areas.