Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Is there anywhere we can see what you do before we book?"

Default "Is there anywhere we can see what you do before we book?"

Wedding Enquiry - "Is there anywhere we can see what you do before we book?"

So i'm primarily DJing Weddings and a few birthdays, anniversaries this year.

I might do a few 11-15 year old charity chart music nights and if booked I'll do NYE (the one night I do have a few pints as it's 100 yard walk), but not the kind of gigs I would want a potential client turning up at.

How would you answer this question and still try and get the 'gig'

In situations like this (actually just had this question) i explain that all of my gigs are private functions so its isn't possible for you to come and see me at a event in person, however here is some video footage from previous events.

This is followed by a youtube link or similar with some large photos of my setup sent as well.

The way I see it is every function is different so how you work one night might not work with another.

As above, showing them some videos would be the best bet.
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

As above (again).
    I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I don't think it's a great idea anyway.
    Say for example, your customer said it was ok for someone to pop in and have a look and it just so happens that you have a crowd that really aren't up for it and unusually, you're struggling. It's not going to look good is it?
    On the other hand, you could have a crowd of people that are well up for a party and it will look great.
    I still don't like the idea of someone looking in on someone elses function.

I would love to say to a client "Well actually, I would like to see you after a few drinks, so that I can see that you're not a complete arse and you are my kind of customer"

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    As above (again).
    it just so happens that you have a crowd that really aren't up for it and unusually, you're struggling.
    I can't recall this has ever happened

I have already replied to the lady, but I am interested in how you guys handle it as it does come up from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    I can't recall this has ever happened

I have already replied to the lady, but I am interested in how you guys handle it as it does come up from time to time.
    Yeah, Ok...I believe you!

I've had it a few times aswell. I usually say that I am busy with bookings or meetings which is generally the case to be honest.
    The problem I have with it is that just like those that want to meet you before they even consider booking you, I feel like it's a bit of an audition.
    I don't like that and I like to think that seeing as I am my own boss, I can pick and choose when or who I want to work for just as the customer can audition and shop around for the DJ that they want to do their function.

Sounds like they've looked at a '10 things to ask a DJ' list!

As others have said, explain they're private functions.

Why are they asking in the first place? Many people book without requesting this so what's making them doubt you.

Just leaving it with a 'no you can't' (with the above valid reasons) will probably lose you the booking, however nicely you phrase it, as you haven't addressed any underlying concerns (if they have them).

Have you spoken/met them yet or has it all been by email?

I'd be looking at arranging a meeting with them.

Then see if you can find out why they feel the need to see you. Is it just a case of making sure you exist, that your set-up matches what's on your website - or, and most likely in my experience, they just don't know what else to ask as they've never booked a DJ before.

Here is what I said ... a bit wordy, but I wanted to cover different elements of my service --- and there are some grammtical errors -- hey ho.

"Hi xxxx,

The nature of weddings in particular is that they are private functions so this isn't possible. I rarely do functions outside of weddings now.

I can appreciate it is difficult to get an idea of what a DJ is like without seeing them.

I do offer a face to face pre-meeting where we can have more detailed discussion about your requirements.

You'll have already seen pictures of my setup in the gallery section on the website. My style there is to keep everything looking tidy, professional and modern. I don't do flashing traffic lights and rope lights, we can leave them safely in the 80s ... The setup changes fairly frequently usually adding more lighting to my collection so that I can cover different situations and provide different effects.

Music wise, my style is to try and avoid those non cliched cheesy tracks like Agadoo and Superman, so it's party classics consisting of 'happy upbeat music' mixed with modern tracks that are popular across the generations. Music is something I would always encourage your input on, as I want you and your guests to enjoy the evening and I provide a list for your input at the point of booking and will take requests right up to the evening and with your permission on the evening (i do apply common sense to requests that come in on the night as there is always one joker asking for the Birdie Song!). I've done all sorts of functions with different music so I can think of weddings this year where I've played mostly 60s,70s and 80's and others where I've played mostly chart music and a few classics. It really depends on what you like really.

Other things I get asked are 'Are you going to talk all over the records'. I use the microphone for announcements and to encourage people to dance and enjoy themselves. Apart from that I tend to let the music do the talking.

In terms of dress. I wear a smart shirt and trousers which is practical and usually appropriate for the job in hand.

Hopefully this gives you an idea about me and the service I offer but if you have any further questions please let me know

Best Regards"

You have a face to face before your meeting?

Pre-meeting = before the meeting.

Pre-event meeting?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries