Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Is there anywhere we can see what you do before we book?"

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    It doesn't happen too often so as long as it's OK to do it, and it usually is, why not let people pop along and see what you can do? I'm always happy to oblige.

There's an awful lot of variability in disco / DJ offerings so I don't think you can expect to charge quite a lot of money and yet ask people to accept your own assessment of your worth. I'm with the punters on this one. I'd need more assurance.
    And, if I were a groom, I'd go mental if you invited one of your potential clients to MY wedding reception.
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

Usually I offer videos or recommendations from people that I have worked for--

The one thing no one seems to have mentioned is looking at this from the clients point of view--- this is possibly the most important booking of Entertainment the client will be making and they dont want to get it wrong if at all possible.

You cant blame them wanting to have something to work off.

this happens a lot in ireland particularly for bands. Its always oked in advance and it not unusual to see two or three couple hanging around for half an hour at a wedding reception. Personally, I prefer my references to speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post
    And, if I were a groom, I'd go mental if you invited one of your potential clients to MY wedding reception.
    It's not just that. Everyone has a different idea of what they want their DJ to be. Chances are you could be playing music they don't like, or the buffet could be on, or you may have an empty floor...

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    It's not just that. Everyone has a different idea of what they want their DJ to be. Chances are you could be playing music they don't like
    That's a very good point, and something I always mention in my reply whenever I'm asked if they can see me play.

I did say 'so long as it is OK' i.e. you had permission.

In the main, people just want a quick look to see that you are decent, your kit is decent, your sound and lighting is OK, and you can put music and a spoken sentence together at the appropriate time. By agreement, they won't stand there all night or tuck into the buffet!

Unfortunately, quite a lot of DJ's don't meet the basic criteria above and websites are commonly becoming misleading (stock photo's, unsubstantiated claims etc). So although it can be a hassle, I fully understand people wanting some re-assurance over what to them amounts to 'take it or leave it'.

In the main, people just want a quick look to see that you are decent, your kit is decent, your sound and lighting is OK, and you can put music and a spoken sentence together at the appropriate time. By agreement, they won't stand there all night or tuck into the buffet!

I think I would agree with this.
    Pictures on a website are all very well but seeing and listening would be an advantage.

There lies the crux of the issue with me though. I would never want to be in a position where I had to ask a client if it were ok to do so. And on the flipside, if I was booking an entertainer for my wedding I would resent them asking me if it's ok if other potential clients could gatecrash my wedding - the fact that it may just be a quick look wouldn't matter to me, It just wouldn't be something I was comfortable with and I'd be extremely unhappy if I was faced with such a situation where I was put on the spot with being asked if it was ok.

Perhaps it's because it's the way I would feel in a similar situation that has partly prompted me to never allow it. And if I feel that way there's the potential that some of my clients may feel the same way too.

Just my thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    There lies the crux of the issue with me though. I would never want to be in a position where I had to ask a client if it were ok to do so. And on the flipside, if I was booking an entertainer for my wedding I would resent them asking me if it's ok if other potential clients could gatecrash my wedding - the fact that it may just be a quick look wouldn't matter to me, It just wouldn't be something I was comfortable with and I'd be extremely unhappy if I was faced with such a situation where I was put on the spot with being asked if it was ok.

Perhaps it's because it's the way I would feel in a similar situation that has partly prompted me to never allow it. And if I feel that way there's the potential that some of my clients may feel the same way too.

Just my thoughts...

I get asked this alot and i normally say would you like some of my customers to come to your wedding and watch me. They normally say no. So then they understand its not possible for this to happen..