Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: abuse from clients

I had a problem with a guy about 10 years ago. It was a good night and the Bloke was what you would call a perfect guest, asking for good songs to dance too and getting people up to dance as well. I must have played about 8 songs for Bloke all night and he seemed happy until.........
    11-55 and I'm just about to play the last song and he came over and said,
    "Play xxxx for me, will ya?"
    Me: I'm sorry but this is the last song and the Bride and Groom want it to be xxxxx.
    Bloke: Go on , just play it, they won't mind.
    Me:I'm really sorry but we have run out of time.
    He wanders off muttering under his breath to his table next to one of my speakers. I play the last song and everyone is happy apart from Bloke. I can hear him talking to his mates about how rubbish (polite version) the DJ was and how he spoilt his night. At this point the B&G came over and thanked me for a fantastic night and how I played everything that they wanted. Bloke appears over their shoulders and said,
    "yeah but he didn't play xxxx though, did he?"
    Me: but I couldn't play that song because I had already lined up your last song and that was the last song.
    Bloke to bride and groom: well I wouldn't pay him
    Me: I played ALL of your requests tonight apart from that one and you were dancing.
    Bloke, as walking back to his mates:what a S__t DJ.
    Anyway he sat back down with his mates and I started breaking down my gear and all the time I could hear him whinging and moaning about me not playing his song and also questioning my sexual habits and parentage.
    Now I haven't had a fight or been anywhere near having a fight since I was about 14 but something just snapped in me at that moment because he wouldn't shut up so I walked over to his table and said, " I'm really sorry that I couldn't play your song but if you would like to follow me outside, perhaps we can talk about it"
    Now I'm not a big bloke and he was about five inches taller and probably outweighed me by 3 stone but he could tell that he had crossed the line. He just said, "nah , it's alright" he then drank his drink and left with his mates straight away. I got a text the next day from the B&G apologising for his behaviour because they had heard about it from his mates.
    I am not condoning my actions but why should I have to take 15 minutes worth of abuse?

From my contract

Under no circumstances whatsoever will Crimson Tide (or anyone representing Crimson Tide) tolerate any abusive, aggressive or violent behavior from Anyone whatsoever towards and/or personnel .of Crimson Tide ,We reserve the right to terminate our services at any time should we feel our personal safety or the safety of the equipment is under threat of harm, pain or suffering. If this occurs no refund of any amount will be given and Crimson Tide reserve the right to claim damages against any said persons.
    Never had to use it , but I would not hesitate to do so.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

I had a brilliant night last night and will put the review in Good Gig/Bad Gig later but I thought I'd mention 1 guy who was there.
    Same kind of thing as DJFoureyes, this guy was dancing to everything and then approached me...He looked younger than me and had a bit of attitude which was a shame because everyone else was really cool, appreciative and well behaved.

"Oi Son! Have you got Jocelyn Brown 'Somebody Elses Guy?"
    "Yes, I have. I will try and get it on for you but I only have about 15 minutes left".
    "Don't TRY mate, just bung it on!"
    "I'll see what I can do for you ok"

He walks off with a grin on his face. I've already had 'Everybody needs somebody' cue'd up as the next track as the MD and another guy were dressed as the Blues Brothers.

Obviously Mr Donut who requested the Jocelyn Brown track was one of those typical guests that thinks that if they request something it should be played immediately - Wrong!
    As the Blues Brothers started, everyone went mad for it and the atmosphere was great. Mr Donut walked through everyone dancing and came straight up to me again.
    "Oi Son" (that was annoying me to start with)..."Where's my Jocelyn Brown track?"
    "As I said, If I get time, I will play it for you. I have a lot of other requests to play that have come in before yours and I am running out of time to play them".
    "Forget those...Come on, Chop Chop...chuck it on next".

By now I had a couple of songs left to play and I had now made up my mind that I was not going to play it because he was being a pain in the backside.
    I had 2 requested songs that had come in earlier that were guaranteed floorfillers so I played them instead. I was under strict instructions to stop at 11.00pm by the organiser and also the hotel so there was no way I was going to upset them.

As the last song faded out and the lights went up, everyone clapped and cheered me and the MD asked if he could use my microphone. He thanked everyone, said he'd see them all in the morning for the meeting and then thanked me again and everyone clapped and cheered again...it was nice.
    I started packing down the equipment and a number of the guests left the room to go to their rooms. A few people hung about including Mr Donut.

He started talking loudly and I could hear him moaning that I hadn't played his song for him. I didn't hear him call me a **** DJ but he was moaning out loud, obviously for my benefit. He was stood in front of the exit with 3 other guys and I needed to get out that way to load up the van. I was carrying an amp and said "Excuse me" so I could get past. They all moved and as I walked past them, Mr Donut said "Didn't play my ******** song did you!!". I ignored him and carried on and he shouted after me. I could hear him moaning again from my van.

As I went back to get more equipment, he stopped me and asked "Why didn't you play my song Son?".
    "As I said, there were other requests before yours and I ran out of time".
    "Not good enough!" he replied.
    I'd had enough by now....I'd had a really good night, as had the guests but this dork was doing my head in.
    "So, what do you want me to do about it?" I asked.
    "It's a bit late now aint it Son"
    "Well, what's with the grief?" I asked.."You look like you all had a great night so why moan about one song not being played when I have explained"
    "Just jog off home Son, Go on...see ya" he said

I shook my head and said nothing. I was pretty narked by that last comment, especially coming from some dork that was giving it the large one in front of his mates/colleagues.
    Anyway, I was in and out of the exit with equipment and had to ask "Excuse Me" every single time. Nobody said anything until I was taking the last bits out.
    "All done then Son?" He asked...
    "Yes mate, time to get home. I'm looking forward to having a nice cold one when I get in"
    "A word of advice.." He said..."When someone asks you for a song in the future, play it for them or they may get upset".
    I laughed and said "Thanks for the advice mate. I'll take that on board".
    I walked away and heard him call me something under his breath.
    "Excuse me?" I asked..."What was that?"
    "Jog on mate" he replied..
    Again, unbelievably I said nothing but just walked back to the van, shaking my head. I put the last bits in and then realised that I had left my coat inside. I walked back to the exit and the guy was closing the door. He saw me but closed it. I knocked on the door and he said "You'll have to walk round mate".
    By now I was getting wound up. I was tired, sweaty and annoyed and it was chucking it down with rain.
    I ran round to the front of the hotel and just as I got back to the room, he was walking out.
    "Nice one, thanks mate!" I said sarcastically.
    He just laughed. His mates shook their heads and walked on.
    As he was on his own now, I gave him some back.
    "You're a funny bloke aren't you" I said.
    "Yeah son, and you're not!" he replied...."Off you go, see ya!".
    "I'll be off in a second don't worry. I just need to grab my coat and then I'm gone".
    "Nice one!" he replied.
    "Don't get too upset about not hearing your song. It's a good song too but I just didn't have time to play it".
    He laughed and started walking away and I thought that was it but once again he called me something as he walked off.
    "Excuse me?" I asked.
    "Are you deaf aswell Son?" he replied..."Go on, jog on home".
    I was putting on my coat as he walked back towards me. Up until that moment I had been very chilled and had kept my cool. I never lost it properly with him as I was aware that I was still in the hotel. Everyone else had gone to their rooms.

"Give it a rest mate" I said..."Just leave the abuse and go to bed".
    "You're lucky I'm in a good mood" he replied.
    "No! YOU'RE lucky I'M in a good mood" I replied..."I don't normally tolerate mouthy little people like you".

That must have been the magic sentence because he said nothing and just walked off, up the stairs and to his room. I drove home in a pretty bad mood which was a shame because it was such a good night.
    Last edited by Shakermaker Promotions; 04-07-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I had a brilliant night last night and will put the review in Good Gig/Bad Gig later but I thought I'd mention 1 guy who was there.
    Same kind of thing as DJFoureyes, this guy was dancing to everything and then approached me...He looked younger than me and had a bit of attitude which was a shame because everyone else was really cool, appreciative and well behaved.

"Oi Son! Have you got Jocelyn Brown 'Somebody Elses Guy?"
    "Yes, I have. I will try and get it on for you but I only have about 15 minutes left".
    "Don't TRY mate, just bung it on!"
    "I'll see what I can do for you ok"

He walks off with a grin on his face. I've already had 'Everybody needs somebody' cue'd up as the next track as the MD and another guy were dressed as the Blues Brothers.

Obviously Mr Donut who requested the Jocelyn Brown track was one of those typical guests that thinks that if they request something it should be played immediately - Wrong!
    As the Blues Brothers started, everyone went mad for it and the atmosphere was great. Mr Donut walked through everyone dancing and came straight up to me again.
    "Oi Son" (that was annoying me to start with)..."Where's my Jocelyn Brown track?"
    "As I said, If I get time, I will play it for you. I have a lot of other requests to play that have come in before yours and I am running out of time to play them".
    "Forget those...Come on, Chop Chop...chuck it on next".

By now I had a couple of songs left to play and I had now made up my mind that I was not going to play it because he was being a pain in the backside.
    I had 2 requested songs that had come in earlier that were guaranteed floorfillers so I played them instead. I was under strict instructions to stop at 11.00pm by the organiser and also the hotel so there was no way I was going to upset them.

As the last song faded out and the lights went up, everyone clapped and cheered me and the MD asked if he could use my microphone. He thanked everyone, said he'd see them all in the morning for the meeting and then thanked me again and everyone clapped and cheered again...it was nice.
    I started packing down the equipment and a number of the guests left the room to go to their rooms. A few people hung about including Mr Donut.

He started talking loudly and I could hear him moaning that I hadn't played his song for him. I didn't hear him call me a **** DJ but he was moaning out loud, obviously for my benefit. He was stood in front of the exit with 3 other guys and I needed to get out that way to load up the van. I was carrying an amp and said "Excuse me" so I could get past. They all moved and as I walked past them, Mr Donut said "Didn't play my ******** song did you!!". I ignored him and carried on and he shouted after me. I could hear him moaning again from my van.

As I went back to get more equipment, he stopped me and asked "Why didn't you play my song Son?".
    "As I said, there were other requests before yours and I ran out of time".
    "Not good enough!" he replied.
    I'd had enough by now....I'd had a really good night, as had the guests but this dork was doing my head in.
    "So, what do you want me to do about it?" I asked.
    "It's a bit late now aint it Son"
    "Well, what's with the grief?" I asked.."You look like you all had a great night so why moan about one song not being played when I have explained"
    "Just jog off home Son, Go on...see ya" he said

I shook my head and said nothing. I was pretty narked by that last comment, especially coming from some dork that was giving it the large one in front of his mates/colleagues.
    Anyway, I was in and out of the exit with equipment and had to ask "Excuse Me" every single time. Nobody said anything until I was taking the last bits out.
    "All done then Son?" He asked...
    "Yes mate, time to get home. I'm looking forward to having a nice cold one when I get in"
    "A word of advice.." He said..."When someone asks you for a song in the future, play it for them or they may get upset".
    I laughed and said "Thanks for the advice mate. I'll take that on board".
    I walked away and heard him call me something under his breath.
    "Excuse me?" I asked..."What was that?"
    "Jog on mate" he replied..
    Again, unbelievably I said nothing but just walked back to the van, shaking my head. I put the last bits in and then realised that I had left my coat inside. I walked back to the exit and the guy was closing the door. He saw me but closed it. I knocked on the door and he said "You'll have to walk round mate".
    By now I was getting wound up. I was tired, sweaty and annoyed and it was chucking it down with rain.
    I ran round to the front of the hotel and just as I got back to the room, he was walking out.
    "Nice one, thanks mate!" I said sarcastically.
    He just laughed. His mates shook their heads and walked on.
    As he was on his own now, I gave him some back.
    "You're a funny bloke aren't you" I said.
    "Yeah son, and you're not!" he replied...."Off you go, see ya!".
    "I'll be off in a second don't worry. I just need to grab my coat and then I'm gone".
    "Nice one!" he replied.
    "Don't get too upset about not hearing your song. It's a good song too but I just didn't have time to play it".
    He laughed and started walking away and I thought that was it but once again he called me something as he walked off.
    "Excuse me?" I asked.
    "Are you deaf aswell Son?" he replied..."Go on, jog on home".
    I was putting on my coat as he walked back towards me. Up until that moment I had been very chilled and had kept my cool. I never lost it properly with him as I was aware that I was still in the hotel. Everyone else had gone to their rooms.

"Give it a rest mate" I said..."Just leave the abuse and go to bed".
    "You're lucky I'm in a good mood" he replied.
    "No! YOU'RE lucky I'M in a good mood" I replied..."I don't normally tolerate mouthy little people like you".

That must have been the magic sentence because he said nothing and just walked off, up the stairs and to his room. I drove home in a pretty bad mood which was a shame because it was such a good night.
    Bloody hell mate, what an idiot. Corporate events can be a nightmare for stuff like that, jumped up younger people who think they are the mutts nutts because they've been invited to a swish do. I do a lot of them and have to deal with many a 'corporate idiot'. You have to remember these people were probably bullied at school.

How would i have handled it? I think as soon as he called me 'son' on his first request, i would have corrected him by saying 'my names is gavin actually, nice to meet you' (shake his hand firmly). It takes the wind right out of their sales and brings them back down again. Then i would have said, 'il do my best to play it but dont hold your breath'. Just be very assertive with people like that and nip it in the bud straight away.
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

Last time somebody called me Son, I called him Dad in my reply.

He didn't do it again.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Last time somebody called me Son, I called him Dad in my reply.

He didn't do it again.
    The last time someone called me son, it WAS my Dad!!

Seriously, Gary, sounds like you did well to keep your cool. That situation could easily have escalated. What a tool!
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

At such a small corporate event I'd have thought a quiet 'any more from you and your MD will be getting a complaint about your behaviour' would've shut him up.

Personally I would of played it - It was of saved sooo much grief. Plus it's a banger. I would of found a way to play it (personally) Potentially a big finish for an 80's night.

What if this (plonker) guy send the organiser an email about the fracas? or even hints about the fact you two 'had words' ???

Good luck when you meet him again

Supplying Premier DJ's for Weddings,
    Birthdays & Social Events.

www.basingstokediscos.co.uk

As I said, I only had limited time left. He asked me firstly when I had around 15 minutes left and I advised him and then he came back almost instantly and I said the same thing.
    I had request slips on the tables that the organiser thought was a great idea. I had loads of requests and played nearly all of them which made the dance floor busy.

In the remaining time I had left, I played the Blues Brothers track because the MD and his colleague were dressed as the Blues Brothers. I also played New Order - Blue Monday which was the most requested song of the night and I played Michael Jackson - Thriller which was also requested quite a lot.

The organiser had requested on the itinery that the music be 'upbeat'. She wanted 80s classics, TV themes & One hit wonders during the meal. I kept to what she wanted and in my opinion, even though 'Somebody Elses Guy' is a great track, it was the wrong kind of track to fit into the last few tracks and as I said, both the organiser and the hotel were pretty strict on the finish time. It was my first time at the venue and I didn't want to take the mick. They were happy and asked for my details. I've had an email today from the organiser thanking me and she forwarded an email to me from the MD too who had thanked her for a great evening with great entertainment.
    In my reply when I thanked them for booking me, I mentioned "the guy in the orange shirt" (Mr Donut). I simply said that he wasn't too happy that I didn't have time to play his song and was quite abusive so I told him where to go...she said, "Don't worry about it, you did the right thing". Whether the bloke is a known pain in the backside, who knows?

Mike, I'd have no quarms whatsoever if and when I meet 'him' again. At least he'll know where we stand and should he ask for Jocelyn Brown again, I'd be more than happy to play it for him......as long as he doesn't come up to me with attitude and in the last few minutes where it's impossible to play it.

Martin, totally right but as said already, it all happened in the last few minutes and didn't seem worth making a big deal about at the time.
    The only time I had to say something over the microphone was when someone got hold of the Space Hopper and started kicking it around. I was worried about the equipment and mentioned it but one of the staff more or less got in there at the same time.

I don't want this to distract from what a good night it was. It was enjoyable for a number of reasons including the fact that more work will come from it both corporate and private.

I am surprised at the restraint many have shown here.

I have no issue tackling idiots head on.

Second excuse me would have been a flight case straight through them!
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk