Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxfordshire Wedding Disco - Your Views!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Hourly rate would apply to the start and finish time of a gig, regardless of how long I actually DJ, which is the same way I apply my pricing now. So a 7-12 booking, with 2x 45 minute Band Sets would still be quoted as 5hrs, and explained to the customer in that way. I don't charge for Mileage or set up, but incorporate that into my hourly rate. Simples!

As mentioned, I shall await and see what the general customer responses are like, if they are as negative as your responses, then it will need to be addressed and amended.

What did you make of the rest of the site?
    OK - so what's the fixed charge for?

And sorry to bang on about it, but I really think you might put people off if they don't understand your pricing - and if I don't get it as a DJ I really don't think the public will.

And it's not so much the customer responses you have to worry about when they contact you (you can talk them through everything), it's the people who leave your site without getting in touch - have you any sort of analysis in place to give you those stats? (and in particular what page they were looking at when they left)

Rest of the site is fine, easy to navigate it has a personal style that may appeal to some and may not to others, but I'm guessing you've tailored it to the type of client you want to attract, so I have no problem with that.

There's possibly a few things I'd phrase differently, but that's probably more down to my own style of writing than anything else.

Might want to take a look at this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    Might want to take a look at this...
    Google need to use this too then !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    Google need to use this too then !
    One would imagine that Google doesn't need to bother page ranking itself

Aside from the obvious negative effect an error-strewn page might (or might not ) have on ranking, in my experience it tends to have a much more dramatic effect on cross-browser compatibility and the breaking of plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    One would imagine that Google doesn't need to bother page ranking itself

Aside from the obvious negative effect an error-strewn page might (or might not ) have on ranking, in my experience it tends to have a much more dramatic effect on cross-browser compatibility and the breaking of plugins.
    I was just being inquisitive, I have an error on my site too (just the one though), I hate it when you post stuff like that !

Anyway off topic, sorry Ryu........back on track

Just spotted that in your first pricing example you quote for early set-up and background music, but you also state that if booked for background music you don't charge for the early set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Just spotted that in your first pricing example you quote for early set-up and background music, but you also state that if booked for background music you don't charge for the early set-up?
    Good spot that one will get on it.
    Is the pricing thing really that confusing?? maybe I've been a bit myopic as I'm a data analyst during the day, and just figured that you can look at the table...see the area you live in and know that your quote will include the fixed charge for that area, the applicable hourly rate for that area, and any other extra charges on top of that. The prices, under testing, mean that I quote a reasonable price for events near me, and a reasonable price for events where more travel is involved. Applying a 1 rate fits all price means I am unable to remain competitive if a local gig comes in.

Vectis - Will take a look at that and forward the details to Mike. Hoping these are all readily fixable issues.

Mark Wild - I took onboard your Fairy cakes comment ( ) so have changed my flower logo to a Pink Discoball...yup thats about as edgy as it gets!!

Thankls all for your comments! all feedback, good and bad is appreciated!

Is the pricing thing really that confusing?? maybe I've been a bit myopic as I'm a data analyst during the day, and just figured that you can look at the table...see the area you live in and know that your quote will include the fixed charge for that area, the applicable hourly rate for that area, and any other extra charges on top of that. The prices, under testing, mean that I quote a reasonable price for events near me, and a reasonable price for events where more travel is involved. Applying a 1 rate fits all price means I am unable to remain competitive if a local gig comes in.
    data analyst? Well that explains it!

Remember you're competing with local DJ's wherever the booking is!

Just showed it to my partner and her friend and they thought it was confusing as well, especially with the early set-up, background (then deducting the early set-up), mic and pa options (then deducting the early set-up) to factor in - Linda's words were, 'I wouldn't have a clue how much it was going to cost me!'

And I still don't know what the fixed charge is and why it changes depending on area if mileage is included in the hourly rate.

Looking at it from your clients point of view, they really don't care how far you have to travel - but you're planting the idea that booking a DJ nearer to where they live can save them money - that can't be a good thing.

(Imagine you were looking for a plumber, electrician, builder etc and one charged extra per hour because you were further away - wouldn't your first thought to be to look for a closer one?)

Charging by the hour will also get you people trying to book you for the minimum number of hours possible, that's human nature. Once you've said you're free on their date and they come back with we only need you from 9 - 12 there's not much you can do about it (apart from refuse the booking because it's not long enough).

And potentially, early set-up at £35 (no background or mic wanted), then book you to play from 9-12, that's a lot of hassle for not a lot of money. (£235 if they were in band 1). How would you handle an enquiry like that?

Once you're at the venue I think the price should be the same for everyone (and that you're happy with as well) - so the only variable is the travel. Use whatever catchment area you're happy with and add a mileage charge beyond that. That has to make more sense than charging different people different hourly rates and then letting them see the pricing differences on your site.
    Last edited by funkymook; 05-07-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    data analyst? Well that explains it!

Remember you're competing with local DJ's wherever the booking is!

Just showed it to my partner and her friend and they thought it was confusing as well, especially with the early set-up, background (then deducting the early set-up), mic and pa options (then deducting the early set-up) to factor in - Linda's words were, 'I wouldn't have a clue how much it was going to cost me!'

And I still don't know what the fixed charge is and why it changes depending on area if mileage is included in the hourly rate.

Looking at it from your clients point of view, they really don't care how far you have to travel - but you're planting the idea that booking a DJ nearer to where they live can save them money - that can't be a good thing.

(Imagine you were looking for a plumber, electrician, builder etc and one charged extra per hour because you were further away - wouldn't your first thought to be to look for a closer one?)

Charging by the hour will also get you people trying to book you for the minimum number of hours possible, that's human nature. Once you've said you're free on their date and they come back with we only need you from 9 - 12 there's not much you can do about it (apart from refuse the booking because it's not long enough).

And potentially, early set-up at £35 (no background or mic wanted), then book you to play from 9-12, that's a lot of hassle for not a lot of money. (£235 if they were in band 1). How would you handle an enquiry like that?

Once you're at the venue I think the price should be the same for everyone (and that you're happy with as well) - so the only variable is the travel. Use whatever catchment area you're happy with and add a mileage charge beyond that. That has to make more sense than charging different people different hourly rates and then letting them see the pricing differences on your site.
    you are wearing me down gradually....I'll pull the page in the short term and look at other viable options...I did predict contentious did I not

you are wearing me down gradually....I'll pull the page in the short term and look at other viable options...I did predict contentious did I not
    I can see where you're coming from - and being up front and honest in pricing is always a good thing, but the less working out you ask the public to do the better I reckon.