Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marquee In the Rain

Default Marquee In the Rain

I have a wedding this weekend in a marquee, have had a look at the suppliers webpage and i have no major concerns other than how weather proof they really are.

Given that were supposed to have a months rain in the next few days has any one done a gig in a marquee in filthy weather and if so how did it go should i take any extra precautions.
    Bournemouth Disco's
    Making Your Night A Good Good Night
    http://www.bournemouthdisco.com

I did one after rain, not during it. Place looked like the Somme. It was the only time I've ben frightened, because I was actually standing in water for most of the night.
    The obvious advice is to raise mains cables off the ground where possible, and use RCDs.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Any power cable connections make sure they are 16A cee forms. A 13A wrapped in a carrier bag won't cut it! anything on the deck stand will be fine.

In theory you shouldn't need to worry about anything as inside a marquee is classed as indoors.

I would however be sure to be careful and on the look out of any water ingress.
    It will depend what kind of flooring is installed into the marquee - if it is the tarpaulin with carpet stretched onto it then i would make sure all you equipment is on stands or off the floor by means of something (maybe some black paint wood under subs) to avoid your kit becoming damp as the water sits on the tarp and the carpet soaked it up!
    if its a wooden floor then make sure your not in a pond and you will be fine.
    If you running uplighting around the edge then it would make sense to use a connector rated at least IP44 which not all cforms are or somethining else that is rated suitably for water ingress. Although on a proper correctly erected marquee you shouldn't need to worry.

your power feed would be the concern as it would need to meet the later BS reqs with no doubt the marquee company if supplying your power will not be following but its worth checking where its coming from and what its rated to and that once it leaves the tent is using rater ceeform connectors. this is something the provider should be able to answer as its not your job to be poking around playing with other peoples work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post

I would however be sure to be careful and on the look out of any water ingress.
    It will depend what kind of flooring is installed into the marquee - .
    I would echo previous comments ,
    One that i did last year I found myself standing in a pool of water and then there is the transfer of your kit afterwards, if you are unable to get your vehicle close enough to the marquee. I had to get everything up a 50ft bank.

Done loads of marquees never had a problem with water on the ground, only problem is a few drips from above and it can be a bit scary if dripping on to your mixer or keyboard. We always insist on some type of flooring, even the home diy hired marquees even manage to find a couple of of 8x4 sheets or something from somewhere and if you can get a couple of inches off the ground you will be well sorted.

I very much doubt your going to have a problem with water on the ground because if there is any where near over half an inch trust me everyone would have left without a doubt.

But we have done dozens of them and a quit a few in very heavy rain, all have been well dry except for the drips from above.

I was in a marquee two weeks ago arrived to find no power supply at the entertainment end despite the fact the same company laid the dance floor rain was so bad both myself and the guys running the bar slept in our vans and had to walk to the nearest village the next morning to find a friendly farmer with a tractor to tow us out

I did one that was 'secured' onto a pub near Corfe Mullen, it was a nightmare.

Water got in everywhere, windy and most uncomfortable. The biggest problem was the dancefloor, it was so slippery it was dangerous, girls in heels went over while dancing and the whole party was nearly called off.

So my experience was not good.

so hoping the rain clears away by tomorrow night
    Bournemouth Disco's
    Making Your Night A Good Good Night
    http://www.bournemouthdisco.com

I'm in a marquee in Somerset tomorrow night, and I've just learned that the met office have issued a red warning for the area!