Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Firewire/usb hard drive

Default Firewire/usb hard drive

i currently have a 2tb segate goflex hard drive usb, which can convert to firewire by getting the firewire adaptor for the bottom, is their any other drives on the market which has a usb, and fiirwire output all ready on them, i have seen the wd mybook which has them both, but pricy, any help thanks
    Oxfordshire based Mobile Disco www.GHMobileDisco.co.uk

There's plenty, but the real question is, what data are you reading/writing to the hard drive to warrant the firewire interface?

USB 2.0 is rated at 480Mbps while Firewire comes in 400Mbps and 800Mbps.

Assuming you're using the drive for DJing (being a DJ forum and all...) you won't see any speed increase in reading MP3, WAV or video files (unless you're VJing with HD content)

If you want real performance increase, switch to an SSD drive with an eSATA, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt interface.

I have just purchased a newer mbp, i now only have 2 usb outputs and firewire, so i want to use firewire for my hd, and usb for external mouse and controller
    Oxfordshire based Mobile Disco www.GHMobileDisco.co.uk

doesn't the controller negate the need for a mouse?...just use the trackpad if you must.

OR, Go to eBay, get a 4-port USB hub for like £3 - bosh, job done and you've saved yourself A) buying a new firewire hard drive, B) spending £30+ on the firewire interface for your goflex

Quote Originally Posted by mattydinx View Post
    doesn't the controller negate the need for a mouse?...just use the trackpad if you must.

OR, Go to eBay, get a 4-port USB hub for like £3 - bosh, job done and you've saved yourself A) buying a new firewire hard drive, B) spending £30+ on the firewire interface for your goflex
    Poundland do them usb ports

Quote Originally Posted by djrobentertainment View Post
    Poundland do them usb ports
    They ain't worth the plastic they are made from... Spend a bit more on one and you won't regret it. I have two and the only thing that works ok on them is flash drives.

I have the portable 1TB WD MyBook with FW800....it's stunningly fast, great for backup and so on. USB 2.0 is just too slow for backup, it's the difference between 3hrs and 80 minutes.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever