Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else bored of the olympic build up?

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    We are not talking heads of countries here,in fact the head of the IOC was only quoted the other day about how working class he is.Nothing wrong with a Premier Inn.
    Granted,it is the LOCOG but you knew who I was referring to.
    How could you forget the sponsors,their pettiness has come to the fore recently with the tee shirt and drinks issue.Just where has their money gone and I think the cost has risen to billions and its a sure bet they aren't sponsoring it to that degree.
    As for the security,it would seem from reports that the qualifications of a substancial number of them is tantamount to be classed as paid volunteers and it would appear in some cases unpaid-allegedly.
    Another unsubstantiated fact is that in a lot of cases it has cost the volunteers time and money to take part.
    The media aren't always right though are they. Unless people have got the correct securiy license (door supervisor for your information) then they cannot work on the Park.

People are getting paid, again I assume you've pulled that gem out of the media.

Volunteers DO NOT do security, they are information points.
    Steve

Sorry to rant on again and I can understand if you think I am being petty.
    The Torch.
    Excellent idea and it has united the public and given a terrific boost to the economy and tourism.Well that's what they would have you believe.
    Who have been running it all around the country,thro towns and villages,the ordinary man/woman in the street.But when it comes to a prestigious venue/street/location who is it?Certainly not the man/woman in the street,it's a so called 'celeb'-Forsyth,Redgrave,Brooking,Holmes.The vey people who will probably get complimentary seats to all the prestigious events that everyone else had to enter into a ballot in the hope they might get lucky and if they did it would be at some considerable cost.
    I am sorry but I am all for the man/woman in the street,I absolutely hate this 'celebrity' free loader culture nonsence that persists today.
    Sorry rant over.

It has been Joe Public running with it. These people have been nominated to carry the torch.

The celebrities that have done the torch run don't keep it, it gets sold off and ALL proceeds go to charity
    Steve

Hope that comes within the rules Steve.lol
    You tell me. There are a lot of comments in this thread that are bordering on political. Just in case folks couldn't be bothered to click the link & read the rules (which incidentally you should have done when you signed up) Rule 20 (or the relevant part of it) is as follows:

20. Political discussion not directly related to Disco & karaoke issues are prohibited

Keep the discussion to the actual build up / opening ceremony & sporting side of things folks.

On another note, anyone know how long the opening ceremony is set to last? I start work at 21:30.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    The celebrities that have done the torch run don't keep it, it gets sold off and ALL proceeds go to charity
    You might want to tell that to will i am
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

It's due to be approximately 4 hours long starting at 20:12
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    You might want to tell that to will i am
    I know I'm connected but I'm not on.personal terms with Will.I.Am!

If he donated the proceeds then thats ok!
    Steve

Im providing music for a pub tonight showing the opening ceremony and am looking forward to it. If anything it will hopefully encourage a good turn out and give me an opportunity to promote myself to locals as I don't do pub gigs generally.

They have an xbox kinect set up with the Olympics games, Olympic themed drinks deals and will be showing the ceremony throughout... not sure how much Djing I will be doing as I think the final torch is lit at midnight right?

Still get on the mic and interact with the guests etc should be fun.

Tom
    ATR The X-Faders | Mobile DJ's in Essex
    Billericay & Surrounding Areas
    http://www.thexfadersdj.co.uk | Facebook | Twitter

Sorry to rant on again and I can understand if you think I am being petty.
    The Torch.
    Excellent idea and it has united the public and given a terrific boost to the economy and tourism.Well that's what they would have you believe.
    Who have been running it all around the country,thro towns and villages,the ordinary man/woman in the street.But when it comes to a prestigious venue/street/location who is it?Certainly not the man/woman in the street,it's a so called 'celeb'-Forsyth,Redgrave,Brooking,Holmes.The vey people who will probably get complimentary seats to all the prestigious events that everyone else had to enter into a ballot in the hope they might get lucky and if they did it would be at some considerable cost.
    I am sorry but I am all for the man/woman in the street,I absolutely hate this 'celebrity' free loader culture nonsence that persists today.
    Sorry rant over.

The folks that carried the torch in my local town (well, it's a city now!!) were certainly not celebrities. They were local folk who'd been nominated for making a difference to their communities.

I'm quite possibly the most olympic-sceptic person you could imagine but, I'm also a dad of three young kids who wanted to see the torch that they had been learning about at school so I took them along to see it (in the rain - it is Sunderland, of course!). You couldn't deny there was a fantastic atmosphere from the folk who turned out to see it. The highlight, for me, was when a Metropolitan Police motorcyclist pulled up right in front of me and put his hand out. I thought he was going to tell me to stop taking photos of the police but, instead, he bent down to my three year old son and said "High 5!". My son high-5'd him and then he did the same with my other son and daughter. Given the bad press that members of the police force get in today's society, I thought this was a brilliant touch.

Oh, and the torch relay parade wasn't bad, either!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I love anything sport! So I'll be watching as much as I can fitting it round work. Can't wait for the opening ceremony. We went into London on thursday just to walk around the park and stratford just to take it in.

Love it, great stuff. I dont want it to be over.