Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Buffet :)

To those who refuse food/drink when offered - do you not think it is as offensive to refuse as it is to help yourself ??
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    To those who refuse food/drink when offered - do you not think it is as offensive to refuse as it is to help yourself ??
    especially when dealing with other cultures...

Personally I am really fussy eater, so they very seldom have anything I would eat, I also hate the thought of everyone breathing on it, unwashed fingers touching or getting picked at by every other guest etc, so anything that comes into that category is a 100% no no for me. Most of the people who work for me have also adopted my reasoning, although I would say there is one who isn't as bothered about the hygiene as the rest of us.

I don't think it's offensive to refuse, I always say thank you that's very kind of you but I'm a really fussy eater and I have brought my own.

I don't think it looks bad if the DJ is queing up, but I personaly would never que. If I was offered and something on the tables did take my fancy I would wait until there wasn't a que. But like I say it would have to be something that was protected from dozens of guests fingers and breath.

However when it comes to drinks, I have no problem in joining the que at the bar for water, juice, coke, or even beer, it's rare to go to a bar without a que, unless it's sky high prices.

thats what i think too, if im offered a drink i'll always accept so as not to be rude (just a blackcurrent & lemonade though)

Im almost always offered food from the buffet, again i think its rude to decline. A couple of sandwiches & a sauage roll is my limit.
    Dave
    DSF Mobile Discos
    www.dsfdiscos.co.uk

No I don't thinks it's rude to refuse an offer of anything. I was once offered something illegal at a show I was promoting. I refused. Does anyone think I was being rude to do that? I can't see the difference, personally.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

There's two ways people look at this situation:

1. They're employing a service person for the day working for them, so why should they feed them too (especially if they're paying £15+/head for the buffet?) If you have builders in your house would you expect to feed them, or pay for their food in addition to the fees that you're already paying them?

2. They're employing someone who is key to the success of the day and they'll support them anyway they can - and besides they've already paid for the buffet so it doesn't matter how many people eat from it?

Generally, I'll make sure that I bring whatever I need to do an event, to the event - and that includes food/drink (especially in hotels that I know charge £3+ for a water). However, if I think I'll offend someone by refusing, I will politely accept offers of food - as long as it's not going to screw with my diet

I think you have to take each event on it's own merits, but I think to dig in without being offered is just plain rude. Not doing this won't offend anyone (as you're not refusing anyone's explicit hospitality), but doing it could easily offend your host and potentially the guests as well.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I always wait to be offered, I think it's good etiquette. On gig days, I don't eat after two o'clock in the afternoon so by the time I've finished performing I tend to look a bit starved anyway! I find that the Oliver Twist look does work in my favour and I always get offered a go at the buffet!

And why do other peoples' buffets always taste better than your own?!

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKing View Post
    And why do other peoples' buffets always taste better than your own?!
    Because they've paid more for them?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I dont ask

Ive decided to add this to my contract now, so i dont have to worry about if they mind or not, not that i worried before really.

Buffet - Yes/No (approx time) are Pure Wedding DJ's staff allowed to partake? - Yes/No