Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Wire Strippers

Default Decent Wire Strippers

Anyone reccomend a decent pair of wire strippers. I've had cheap ones, expensive ones and they have all been rubbish. Don't want to spend the earth, just something that will do more than a few jobs before getting blunt.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I used to have a pair stanley strippers that looked like a dinosaur- they broke after several years service and I replaced them with Rolson ones which look the same but are slighly smaller and therefore useless for thicker wire.

This is a link the the Rolson pair- I wouldnt buy these again but have posted the link so you can see the style- Stanley dont seem to make the ones I bought anymore otherwise I would grab a couple of pairs as they are so easy to use...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ource=shopping

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Anyone reccomend a decent pair of wire strippers. I've had cheap ones, expensive ones and they have all been rubbish. Don't want to spend the earth, just something that will do more than a few jobs before getting blunt.
    I thought these were an item that lasted for ever.

Had mine for about 20 years which I bought from a Car Accessory Shop rather than say Maplins.

Below is mine ---these are the automotive version which might be tougher?

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/16083...d=369791945309
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 30-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.

I used to be a an electrical control engineer after starting as a wireman and I remember using Sealey strippers like this http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...tomatic-301297
    These strip different diameters of wire in the jaws and were very reliable.

If you are just fitting plugs and sockets why not just get a pair of good wire cutters and carefully cut the insulation at the required point?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    If you are just fitting plugs and sockets why not just get a pair of good wire cutters and carefully cut the insulation at the required point?
    Because I am too heavy handed and inevitably cut right through the wire
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Because I am too heavy handed and inevitably cut right through the wire
    We all do that

Those cutters on my last post have predetermined diameters to cover normal wire sizes encountered in home/dometic/car electrics.

Dead easy then

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    We all do that

Those cutters on my last post have predetermined diameters to cover normal wire sizes encountered in home/dometic/car electrics.

Dead easy then
    I've got some of those you linked to and, tbh, they're pretty poor. They're just not sharp enough to be effective and you end up just squashing the wire instead.

I've mentioned before working at Apple and having an in-house repair workshop. The engineers used to have cutters/crimpers that were "BT" branded and were almost identical to these?

http://www.snssafety.co.uk/ripley-bt...b63115db4cc299

Not cheap, but they did a fantastic, and quick, job. Just put the wire in the relevant cutting part, give the tool a gentle squeeze and a bit of a twist and job done!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1653513&CMP=e-2072-00001000&gross_price=true

The ones I use...
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I've got some of those you linked to and, tbh, they're pretty poor. They're just not sharp enough to be effective and you end up just squashing the wire instead.
    If you are just wiring the odd mains plug every now and then the ones I use seem fine---still effective after 20 years.

If you are using wire cutters/strippers al day fair enough--pay out for something more expensive.

Im not sure how you can blunt them---all you are doing is cutting fairly soft rubber sleeve

On the other hand if you do not use them properly

I just use poundshop scissors,they work for me,did all my uplighting extensions with them.