Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hope to God they're wrong!

Default I hope to God they're wrong!

I've just had an email from a venue where we've got a gig in a couple of week's time where they've told me that they've just had a sound limiter installed where the "permissible noise level is 45dB"

Erm... are you sure about that, 'cos normal conversation is 60-65dB!!!!

Default They must mean 85db.

They must mean 85db.

Direct them to the H&SE Noise at Work directive.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/4/made
    Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Yes - I've already emailed them back saying something similar - ie "Surely you must mean.......?" type thing.

Awaiting a reply!

I've just had a phone call from the venue, and they've read the licence to me.

It is 45dB...

....45dB LAeq @ 9m outside the venue after 9pm!

They've only just purchased the limiter and haven't set it up as yet, so don't know what the limiter itself will be set to, but they will be putting the microphone at the other end of the room to where bands / DJs set up.

That's going to be a quiet gig!!!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    That's going to be a quiet gig!!!
    Shouldn't be bad if they've only got to be 45dB from 9m outside the venue, Steve (providing they don't leave all the doors and windows open!)

Only one thing for it....silent disco

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Shouldn't be bad if they've only got to be 45dB from 9m outside the venue, Steve (providing they don't leave all the doors and windows open!)
    You wonder how they will set it up with a requirement relating to OUTSIDE the venue--sounds like the neighbours will be on the phone at the first opportunity.

Will the set up mechanic be on the safe side and make it low so they dont get flak?

I once worked a small village hall where the setting must have been very low because everytime the audience shouted or clapped--bang OFF WENT THE SOUND.

It was the most humiliating night of my career as I couldnt get any dances completed and we ended up getting the audience to sing songs without any amplification. Absolutely

My second most humiliating gig was at a local venue where the manager stood next to me directing the sound levels after 11pm including turning the bass off

What do we rely on generally --a bit of bass

I was very lucky--- in both cases everone was so drunk they didnt care--phew lucky me-- Next time ---there wont be one as I am not covering these gigs.

You have the experience professionalism and ability to manage this--so I wont be offering advice---however personally I might be tempted to withdraw unless I could make my own sound test beforehand--if its an important event like a Wedding or big Birthday--no way thanks without a dry run.

Hopefully it will work out ok and commonsense will prevail.

45db measured 9m outside of a building shouldn't be too bad, that's about average talking level, just keep the doors windows shut. I did a db check of us on Friday at about 10m ouside the premesis and we were just into the 90's we were using around 1.5k rms. But I guess it depends on how well insulated the building is. I rekon if we were using 350w - 400w rms at 10m it would be under 45db

Have you done this gig yet Angela? Be interesting to see what the actually gig was like....
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk