Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New generation of HD Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by ianforest View Post
    Why should you? The idea behind having a HD controller is that you DON'T have to use a computer at all, other than to put songs on the hard drive.
    The problem is that it is almost impossible to create a modestly sized unit, perfect for mobile DJ's...with a big enough screen to make navigation of thousands of tracks easy. Big screen and small form factor just don't go together. The trade off then is for you to use a laptop as the library management, in the same style as Pioneer's "Rekordbox" and Denon's "Engine" tool. You're not relying on the computer so much, just using it for the library but unfortunately if the laptop crashed then your library would go with it.
    If you accept that it's impossible to work from anything beyond a basic playlist on a small form unit then it sets the stage for their to be only three classes of unit - either compact SD/USB players which work from small devices or full featured machines with large screens which cost a bomb, or full featured machines with large screens (laptops) with a separate controller.

Denon got it right I think with the HD2500 and the 5500...the screen was easily usable (I used one for around 18 months) but was still too small for some folk.
    I spent a LOT of time looking at alternatives to the Cortex which fit my criteria, namely:

* Compact, light, all in one form
    * Able to read > 18,000 tracks from a hard drive
    * With a screen/interface that allows for quick access to any track on the fly
    * Stable and reliable
    * Cost less than a laptop and controller combination

I struggled finding a controller which did all of the above. I used the Denon DN-S1200's for a short while with a keyboard which basically meant they did the same as a HD2500, albeit on a smaller screen, and I found the search functions painful to use compared to the Cortex. But then the Cortex had more reliability issues than my current laptop set up!

Gemini now do some touch screen table top players which can work with a hard disk and be linked, and obviously pioneer do the CDJ900's and CDJ2000's which do a similar thing - but they're so much money it's far cheaper to buy a laptop and a controller and you get a much more usable device.

For £300 - £600 (the original price tags of the Cortex and HD2500 units and the rough price of a mid-range laptop and a entry level controller/sound card) you don't get much!

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I really don't think cost should be an issue.

If you want a product...and it matches ALL of your requirements...then you should buy it, certainly as a 3yr investment. Even something costing £1,200 would only cost £6.70 per gig (assuming a minimum of 60 gigs per year over 3 years). £6.70 is cheap as chips. If you can't look beyond the initial capital investment then you'll be waiting a long long time for the right controller to come along at the price you want it to be it's not gonna happen.

If Denon brought out a 19" rackmount MIDI controller, with a full 4-channel matrix analog mixer with a pair of decent microphone inputs but with little screens like the HC4500 and USB pen drive/HDD/iPod connectivity together with support for most major label software such as Serato Intro/Traktor/VDJ...and it cost £1,500.00 - I would hand over my cash straight away. They've probably got something lined up like this already stacked up Jenga style in a warehouse somewhere for about £800.00 ready for launch at BPM.
    Last edited by ianforest; 21-09-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

I really don't think cost should be an issue.
    If Denon brought out a 19" rackmount MIDI controller, with a full 4-channel matrix analog mixer with a pair of decent microphone inputs but with little screens like the HC4500 and USB pen drive/HDD/iPod connectivity together with support for most major label software such as Serato Intro/Traktor/VDJ...and it cost £1,500.00 - I would hand over my cash straight away.
    At that price, they'd have to use a winch to get the pennies out of my hands, but you're right Ian. The problem is, we're not being offered one at any price. I'm sure there are many many DJs who simply don't want to be forced to use a laptop.
    They've probably got something lined up like this already stacked up Jenga style in a warehouse somewhere for about £800.00 ready for launch at BPM.
    Let us hope so. For the record, I'm not holding my breath.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    At that price, they'd have to use a winch to get the pennies out of my hands,
    A tight Yorkshireman? Never! I don't believe it!

but you're right Ian. The problem is, we're not being offered one at any price. I'm sure there are many many DJs who simply don't want to be forced to use a laptop.
    I'd rather not use one myself...but there's no better alternative at the minute.

Let us hope so. For the record, I'm not holding my breath.
    Well next week will be the telling time, that's when the teaser vids will start hitting youtube.
    just ian
    Wedding DJ - DISCOfever

I really don't think cost should be an issue. If you want a product...and it matches ALL of your requirements...then you should buy it, certainly as a 3yr investment.
    I agree, but I will still look at the most cost effective way to get all of my requirements. If I'm faced with a choice of two products and they perform the same functions with the same build quality, but one is cheaper, then I will obviously go for the cheapest. For me, that means buying a laptop and a controller over a dedicated HDC.

There also has to be a bit of common sense applied here. If it's a choice between £700 for a laptop and MIDI controller, or almost £4k for a pair of CDJ2000's then other factors have to start coming in, like, are my customers going to even notice the difference? Is that additional £3.3k spend going to earn me any additional income? If not, then I'm certainly more prepared to compromise on one or more of my requirements.

Even something costing £1,200 would only cost £6.70 per gig (assuming a minimum of 60 gigs per year over 3 years).
    That's a very good way of looking at capital investment - certainly what I did when I paid £1800 for the RCF's - something my customers have commented on

At that price, they'd have to use a winch to get the pennies out of my hands, but you're right Ian. The problem is, we're not being offered one at any price. I'm sure there are many many DJs who simply don't want to be forced to use a laptop.
    Putting my techy hat on for a minute (and playing devils advocate ) - a high end HDC is a low power computer running a stripped down version of Linux (or possibly embedded Windows, but it's rare) with dedicated built in hardware, controller and sound card. Why not buy a OODJ laptop instead? It's basically the same thing with a bigger screen, better software and more flexibility? Failing that, the homebrew approach could be to install Linux onto a laptop yourself....?

Is the attraction of a HDC simply the short set up time and "one box" approach? Admittedly this is the one thing I do miss about the Cortex - I could roll up with a single flight case, plug it into the mains and speakers and that was it

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I guess the question is, if you want a high end HD controller - why not use a laptop?
    Why should you?

The idea behind having a HD controller is that you DON'T have to use a computer at all, other than to put songs on the hard drive.
    Indeed, & if like me & Shaun (I believe) you use a 2' Ultimax & 19" rack the addition of a laptop to the equation is not only another thing to house somewhere, but impossible to accommodate
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Indeed, & if like me & Shaun (I believe) you use a 2' Ultimax & 19" rack the addition of a laptop to the equation is not only another thing to house somewhere, but impossible to accommodate
    Exactly!

When Mary and I are both out doing seperate parties. (Which has been a lot recently) She takes the flightcased D2 and mixer (She can't even switch a laptop on I kid you not) and I take the flightcased Cortex and mixer. Now I don't even switch the Cortex on as I hate it and just plug my laptop straight into the mixer and go VDJ all night using the mouse pad on the laptop

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Well it isn't really impossible is it - you can get laptop stands and arms that attach to the Micromax. I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Exactly!
    Nothing's impossible lads, nothing's impossible. Especially when you have a mig welder. Photographic evidence will be provided when I think it's fit for the road. No Giraffes were harmed during the construction of the edifice. It just needs some wheels and perhaps Son of Chobham, and all will be revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    Now I don't even switch the Cortex on as I hate it and just plug my laptop straight into the mixer and go VDJ all night using the mouse pad on the laptop
    Wash your mouth out with soap that man!! I sold a D2 and went back to a Cortex, partly because I preferred it, and partly because it saved 1U in the rack ( which at that time was vital )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk