Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ProDub Licence Question

Default ProDub Licence Question

I'm still in the process of getting everything together for setting my Daughter up in the mobile DJ business. I really want to try and do things right (as I always did back in the 70's ) and I have an area of confusion relating to the ProDub licence which I hope someone here can help me with...

The vast majority of our music library is downloaded from iTunes, which is now backed up in iCloud. However, I have, over a period of time, ripped some music from our old CD's, this probably totals around 450 tracks.

As I understand it I would need a ProDub Licence to cover the ripping of these tracks (pretty expensive at £212.77 for the first year), I also understand that provided I do not rip any more music from CD's I would not need a ProDub licence in subsequent years.

Problem is that when I look at the ProDub FAQ's and their website it states that they are working with the industry to get venues to ask DJ's for their licence in order that they may be covered to play at the venue. If I don't need a licence how can I prove that to the venue who'll probably just think I can't be bothered to buy one and am therefore unlicenced.

Is this really a problem?, has anyone ever been asked for their licence by a venue?, am I worrying about nothing?

Taking this further, i've actually looked at the tracks i've ripped from CD and there's probably only about 200 that we are ever likely to play at a function. This therefore begs the question would I be better off just deleting the ripped tracks and redownloading them from iTunes. This would work out cheaper than buying a licence, and I could honestly say that all my tracks were downloaded.

As i've already mentioned, all music is backed up in the iCloud, so that covers the backups. I'm sure I read somewhere that part of the iCloud subscription covers licence fees, anyway, I digress.

I suppose I really want to know the likelyhood of being asked for a ProDub licence by a venue, and also how you would prove that you only use legitimately downloaded tracks to the venue?

Apologies for the ramble

Jem

The likelyhood of you being asked is very very small and even if you are asked they can't start looking at your Mp3s/laptop or drive.

If you wanted to be truly legal, I would go with your suggestion of downloading the tracks.

it is all very confusing I have one as i transferred my cd collection over, iv'e been asked about it twice this year by venues (hotels) one venue said they had been visited 3 times over the last 18 months. If you just download it is far easier but you might find that some download sites may have something in the terms and conditions about intended use?

Also, going slightly off topic, don't just rely on iTunes for your downloads, Amazon are cheap and also 7Digital.
    Steve

Default Aye

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    Also, going slightly off topic, don't just rely on iTunes for your downloads, Amazon are cheap and also 7Digital.
    Aye. .... and the .wav files from the Broadchart database are only 55p each (based on a 12month sub)
    Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    Aye. .... and the .wav files from the Broadchart database are only 55p each (based on a 12month sub)
    Lee
    I am really getting a bit fed up with people who use that subscription saying that. Tell it how it is.... it's a £60 a month 12-month subscription service (ie £720).

We don't need to put the marketing slant on it when we're talking amongst ourselves, do we?

CHEAP Is not always good
    I Tunes
    (i) You shall be authorised to use iTunes Products only for personal, noncommercial use. For details of your rights and restrictions on your rights to use the iTunes Products,
    AMAZON
    Upon your payment of our fees for Digital Content, we grant you a non-exclusive, non-transferable right to use the Digital Content for your personal, non-commercial, entertainment use,

Be careful!

Ever read the small print on the back of a CD?

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    CHEAP Is not always good
    I Tunes
    (i) You shall be authorised to use iTunes Products only for personal, noncommercial use. For details of your rights and restrictions on your rights to use the iTunes Products,
    AMAZON
    Upon your payment of our fees for Digital Content, we grant you a non-exclusive, non-transferable right to use the Digital Content for your personal, non-commercial, entertainment use,

Be careful!
    Yes, but doesn't the same apply to purchased CD's if you read the terms and conditions?.. ie, non-commercial use only.

I thought that was the reason that *venues* had to have a PRS/PPL licence, so that your were covered, and the royalties are included in those fees to reimburse the musicians etc for the commercial use of their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Yes, but doesn't the same apply to purchased CD's if you read the terms and conditions?.. ie, non-commercial use only.

I thought that was the reason that *venues* had to have a PRS/PPL licence, so that your were covered, and the royalties are included in those fees to reimburse the musicians etc for the commercial use of their product.