Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ProDub Licence Question

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Ever read the small print on the back of a CD?
    Beat me to it!!

Pretty much all of the CDs, vinyl, whatever have exactly the same copyright conditions on them. If we keep it simple, as long as the venue has a Public Performance Licence (PPL) (and possibly MCPS - I've got a headache and can't think clearly at the moment!) then you're covered.

I really wouldn't worry about the small print on iTunes and Amazon. And there's really no need to start scaremongering about it.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Not scaremongering Just pointing out the small print!
    Mastermix does not have the same restrictions on it's site!

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Yes, but doesn't the same apply to purchased CD's if you read the terms and conditions?.. ie, non-commercial use only.

I thought that was the reason that *venues* had to have a PRS/PPL licence, so that your were covered, and the royalties are included in those fees to reimburse the musicians etc for the commercial use of their product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Have just noticed these two posts! I think Jem is right. It's actually the PRS licence I was trying to think of. Told you I had a bad headache!!!

djdj - I think the reason that MM uses different T&Cs is that their service is aimed directly at DJs and people involved in the music industry. It would be a bit pointless putting in the "non-commercial use only" clause as their customers are purely commercial!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

There was a thread about a similar subject on a different forum some time ago, if your paying royalties to a company for a download you could assume that it is little different to buying a CD as your paying royalties, and as suggested most venues would be licenced for music PRS / MCPS? with mastermix / CD Pool etc the music is licenced by them both, royalties are paid.

You could argue why buy a produb when you've paid to buy a CD but now want to play it from a version saved to a harddrive, and the CD is stored in the loft. I decided right or wrong it was worth having to avoid any arguements in the future.

Many argue still argue about the need for PAT, PLI, even risk assessments or method statements. I know of 1 or 2 venues in the West Mids that now ask for produb, admittedly they don't necessarily know what the requirements are, and one venue potentially insisting on it based on a discussion with their resident DJ. I've also seen the number of booking enquiries i've had where DJ's have not had the right paperwork whether it be PAT, PLI or other on the increase, I've had at least 6 enquiries in the last 2 months alone.