Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kam powerbar

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I've just bought two of the Powerbars in the Gear4djs bank holiday sale. I have to say that overall i'm pretty pleased with them. I'll be using them with an external DMX controller as I don't like most of the internal 'flashy' programs. I much prefer something more reminiscent of incandescent lighting with a subtle fade in and fade out between colour changes.
    That option is there with both British and Teutonic ones. Pattern 3 on the Stairville.
    My only negative observation so far would be that the metal 'U' shaped brackets that hold the can on to the 'Tee' bar are pretty flimsy. I'm seriously considering making some out of a stronger metal and replacing them.
    The Stairville construction is more than robust enough for me. No such problems.

Other than that I would say that they're pretty decent
    In truth, they are. The thing is that the KAM offering runs on a far more complicated control system, which to be fair gives much more control under DMX, and even from the footswitch. One member said it took him minutes to set it up for DMX, another said that after two days spent with no success, he abandoned the idea. Please let us know how you get on.

When I take into account my previous experiences with similar KAM products, the far lower reported failures of the Stairville, its lower price, and the fact that it does all I want and more, I'm confident that I made the right choice for me.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Actually, in the interests of honesty and objectivity, fairness and balance, I feel honour bound to make it public that I have now got a problem with my German Powerbar.

The bag which holds the tripod has split at the bottom!

Just like to add that I'm very happy with my Stairville version too.

For the amount of light and versatility (colour wash, fades, S2L) it's probably the best bang for the buck lighting I've ever bought.

For anyone who hasn't used or seen any of the various power parbars in action they're bright enough to light most venues as a colour wash and act like a proper lighting effect when on S2L (as they're so powerful you do get 'movement' with them, they're not a static effect).

All this talk of Powerbars has prompted me to unpackage the two new ones I bought last weekend from Gear4djs.

I've unpackaged them both, plugged them in, linked them using a DMX lead and they work in perfect synchronisation straight out of the box. Now just awaiting the new DMX controller arriving (hopefully tomorrow) and i'll report back with how easy that is to set up.

Only problem is they only provide a meter long IEC lead (useless when the tripod is raised) , fortunately, I had a couple of 5 meter ones here so all's good

Man, these things are bright

Jem

I've unpackaged them both, plugged them in, linked them using a DMX lead and they work in perfect synchronisation straight out of the box. Now just awaiting the new DMX controller arriving (hopefully tomorrow) and i'll report back with how easy that is to set up.
    I await that report with interest.
    Only problem is they only provide a meter long IEC lead (useless when the tripod is raised) , fortunately, I had a couple of 5 meter ones here so all's good
    American cables?

Man, these things are bright
    That adjective gets used a lot about this style of fixture.

I brought my pair od power bars about 3 years ago, i use them regually and like them. ok the manual was crap and a vital bit of info was missing of the real early ones like mine (but a quick phone call soon rectified that) once we haf full instructions took 2 mins to dmx them together on sound to light option.

Last year I programmed them into my Transetion controller - took about 20 mins ( had to learn how to program the transetion controller at the same time.

After a trial run I noticed was only using 8 settings so stored them in the scene buttons .

Am now getting to grips with freestyler on my old laptop and used it at last weekend booking just for me par cans - but on the list will be to program in the power bars.

In all the time I have had the power bars only one fuse has blown ( we still dont know why worked one day - when testing next not) all leds still working at at Enstone Airfield in a 60 x 30 mtr marquee the were used front of house as silly me forgot to load the old par 64 cans stands

They coped very well and am considering purchasing 2 more just for that and sell of my old bulb pars
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Actually, in the interests of honesty and objectivity, fairness and balance, I feel honour bound to make it public that I have now got a problem with my German Powerbar.

The bag which holds the tripod has split at the bottom!
    The zip on my bag is a bit dodgy but the teuctonic bar is great value for money and very bright.

My case is starting to fall apart at the seams now, with gaffer tap holding it together lol Is there anywhere you can get a new case for these? Or any alternative? The KAM Powerbar that is, not that cheap German rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    My case is starting to fall apart at the seams now, with gaffer tap holding it together lol Is there anywhere you can get a new case for these? Or any alternative? The KAM Powerbar that is, not that cheap German rubbish
    And at the riskof being accused of "banging on about it", although my tripod bag is indeed showing extreme signs of wear and tear, the case for the unit on my "cheap German rubbish " is still as new. Pristine. Showroom condition. Fit for purpose.

I seem to remember Paul ( Spirits High ) having trouble with his case at an early stage. With the increase in popularity of this style of unit, I wonder if there is a market for a rigid flightcase?

And at the risk of being accused of "banging on about it"
    Stop banging on about it

I seem to remember Paul ( Spirits High ) having trouble with his case at an early stage. With the increase in popularity of this style of unit, I wonder if there is a market for a rigid flightcase?
    Yeah mine is gigged to death, definitely need an alternative, a custom made flight case for it may be too pricey though.....