Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Just had 'one of those calls'.

Default Just had 'one of those calls'.

I've just had 'lady' on the phone enquiring about hiring some lights for her daughters 16th next week which is to be held in their back garden.
    She informed me that they already had a "couple of strobes" and a "penguin light" (eh??) and she thought that would be enough but her daughter wants lots of lights.
    Before I advised her that she shouldn't really be using strobes all evening and I hadn't heard of a penguin light before (she couldn't understand why), I asked if she had a back up plan just incase it rained. She kind of went off on one after that and more or less shouted at me, asking me why I was asking all the questions.

Anyway, I gave her a price for delivery, set up and collection for 4 lighting effects, T-Bars, connectors and a smoke machine (even though it's outside...D'oh!) and she said "You're having a laugh aren't you?".

First time ever that I have literally said "Well, thanks for calling" and put the phone down on someone. There are still people out there that need educating it seems.

She couldn't understand why the lights weren't waterproof either! I asked if she had a marquee or if the garden was covered and she said No. I asked what would happen if it rained and she said that it wouldn't (weather girl as well by the sounds of it) but if it did, they would either stay out there and get soaked (clever!) or go indoors.
    So, the lights would stay out in the rain? No chance!

Some people!

Gary, it's not unique to the DJ business mate. In the day job particularly, ome of things punters ask me to do, and they're disgusted when I say I can't do it that way! They often see it as me trying to turn a ten quid job into a hundreds of pounds one with loads of materials and extra labour.

Just like in your case, it doesn't matter that what they're asking for is unsafe, unsuitable and often against regulations, they're convinced that what they've asked for/suggested is sensible and cost effective, and you're only milking it! That's often the way the cookie crumbles.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I think if I had that sort of call, I would'nt even bother quoting for it. 16 year olds, back garden, no chance!
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

~£400 returnable deposit along with the fee... Sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    ! I asked if she had a marquee or if the garden was covered and she said No. I asked what would happen if it rained and she said that it wouldn't (weather girl as well by the sounds of it) but if it did, they would either stay out there and get soaked (clever!) or go indoors.
    So, the lights would stay out in the rain?!
    She said all that yet you still quoted? I'm not sure it's a risk I would have taken, at any price.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

I've had people ask if I'll "do a deal" when quoting for a £25 lighting hire (2 x datamoons with stand, them collecting & returning) so nothing much suprises me now!!

My favourites are the people who want a projector brighter than the sun (i.e. used outside in peak summer, or in a marquee in the daytime with no blackout) delivered, setup and collected, for under £100.
    Last edited by Danno13; 07-09-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    She said all that yet you still quoted? I'm not sure it's a risk I would have taken, at any price.
    I quoted under the understanding that there would be sufficient cover for the lighting should it rain. I had every intention of not doing it should I get there and there wasn't but I didn't and don't expect to get a call back and if I do....I won't be able to do it now.
    I'm working that night anyway so if there would have been a back up plan with reference to the weather, it would have been an extra earner. It's not worth the risk...totally correct Shaun.

I quoted under the understanding that there would be sufficient cover for the lighting should it rain. I had every intention of not doing it should I get there and there wasn't

a "penguin light" (eh??)
    Et voila. One Penguin light, as requested. How many are needed for a Colony or Waddle, I know not. http://www.astounded.com/acme-led-pe...sco-light.html
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

A penquin light was the first ever light I bought. Had 2 of them with 3 kam swingn ngs. Kept one swingfire bit the penquins are very much just a step up from a 20 pound "disco ball" from Argos

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD